Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Festival 2018 - Page 39 - Lotus 70th Anniversary Party @ Lotus Cars - 29th September 2018 - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

Just wish to reiterate the thanks to all involved in the organisation.  It was great to see the place so busy and clearly Geely spent a good chunk of money which wouldn't have been possible before. Great to see so many loti.  My 7 year old who isn't particularly a car person, enjoyed it and came away with model cars, t-shirt and the fastest scalextric lap record! Amazing day all round!

Did we get the world record btw? 

DSC_1713.JPG

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Shame about the record but maybe some weren’t aware of the requirements of maintaining 15mph with a small gap.

I watched it from the grandstand and saw a few, who were a very small minority :angry:, slow up to create a large enough gap in front of them so that they could accelerate hard in 2nd and listed to their exhaust.

BTW, did anyone get a piece of birthday cake 🎂 :D

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

Shame about the record but maybe some weren’t aware of the requirements of maintaining 15mph with a small gap.

I watched it from the grandstand and saw a few, who were a very small minority :angry:, slow up to create a large enough gap in front of them so that they could accelerate hard in 2nd and listed to their exhaust.🎂

There were certainly some of the later arrivals, at the back of the pack, that weren't aware that it was a record attempt and just thought it was a series of parade laps - they didn't get copies of the handouts that we were given when we arrived (both about the Record and the 'Contact me' sheet').

The accelerating/breaking was annoying - we were desperately trying to stay as close as we could to the gorgeous Mk 1 Exige in front of us - but it was obvious that some weren't fully 'briefed'.

But, record aside, it *was* brilliant to be going around the track with so many other Lotus cars...

As others have mentioned, signs said 'see you next year' - so perhaps another try - with clearer briefing notes to drivers?

Iain

Edited by Iain

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

6 minutes ago, chipp said:

Yes Steve and how the food outlets were all reasonably priced compared to lots of other events.

chipp

Yes, was very impressed with the prices, great to see and I'm sure they still made loads of profit. 

Just need to be more outlets if they do it again as the wait times were a bit too long... But having said that everyone one in the queue was chatting and having a great time 

Overall a great day out and I hope we get to do it again. 

32 minutes ago, Iain said:

There were certainly some of the later arrivals, at the back of the pack, that weren't aware that it was a record attempt and just thought it was a series of parade laps - they didn't get copies of the handouts that we were given when we arrived (both about the Record and the 'Contact me' sheet').

There were loads that didn't get the handouts - us included (we arrived around 8ish) but when we were getting underway the guy walking down the middle was clearly telling everyone about the 2 car lengths maximum gap :(

Such a pity we didn't get the record, but another try next year hopefully - easily the best organised event I've had the pleasure to attend :) 

Edited by Mrs_L
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Sadly not, the gaps were too big to count as a continuous display of cars.

While I'm broken and can't walk, I feel very proud and privileged to have played a small part in making some Lotus history yesterday. I had the best of days, we couldn't have been luckier with the weather and the culmination of a lot of planning and organising by the fantastic, dedicated, hard working gang at Lotus resulted in an event which will be remembered and make those who came smile for a long time to come.

Thanks to Lotus for letting me be involved, the all the owners and enthusiasts who came and to the clubs, the 'One of every Lotus' display cars, the track display teams and everyone who asked me a question, what a great day it was! #Lotus70

Fantastic day Andy, you did us all proud.  One of the best car days I’ve ever been to.

cheers chris

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thank you Bibs for a fantastic event and to all at Lotus, Geely and the various owners, clubs, volunteers and helpers for making it such an amazing day.  Great to see coverage on the big screens while walking round the rest of the site, interesting interviews by Guy, epic cars on track and around the site and to feel the collective love of the Lotus family celebrating an iconic brand.

The Sport 110 Owners Club were honoured to be invited and kick off the demo laps on the circuit.  Reuniting 3 of the Type 108 Olympic bikes was very special, particularly with designer Mike Burrows also with us for the day.   Several current and former Lotus staff also stopped to chat about their involvement with the bike projects.  Great also to chat to petrolheads taking an interest in this important part of Lotus history from 26 years ago and we were honoured to have the Lotus CEO and VIP party visit the stand for a chat about Lotus bikes.  Perhaps they might think about an updated Sport 110?

Great to meet old friends and make new ones.  It seems most people now know me as "that guy with the bike on his roof"!

<-----

• Like 2

Bad luck about the record - but I watched the stream on YouTube and it looked a great day.

I did notice that at  some times the parade of cars, in particular one lane, came to a stop - so you probably got big gaps when the car in front accelerate to move of.

Maybe, next time this is tried the importance of maintaining a steady speed with minimal gaps can be emphasised a bit more.

However, well done to all those who organised the event - and all those who turned up 👍

• Like 1

We arrived about 815 and we're just past half way down the que.  Walking up we passed the young lady handing out the sheets but only realise afterwards what they were.  Call it a practice run for next year. Onwards and upwards!

Excellent event and thanks to all those who put in the hard work. Good to see all the new building and refurbishment work going on at the factory. 

I think that we were really lucky with the weather, considering that it's late September. Is the month significant for the 70th anniversary? I set off from home in Yorkshire, in the dark at 4am, and got back home from Hethel, also in the dark at 8pm. A long day but well worth it. Maybe earlier on in the year would be better for future events?

As for the record attempt parade lap, it was brilliant seeing so many Lotuses running at once but a shame that we didn't get the record. It was hard to know what to do when gaps in the traffic developed - carry on at a steady 15mph, or speed up to close the gap but risk meeting up with stationary cars unseen ahead. The problem was that you only had a limited view of what was going on elseswhere on the track and the few marshalls couldn't really help. Next time what about getting one of those temporary event FM radio licences to relay the commentary and instructions to everyone's cars? (well those of us who have the luxury of a car radio).

See you all for Lotus 71/75/80 - whenever the next one is!

• Gold FFM

Is any of the merchandise going to be in the Lotus or TLF shops?  I got everything apart from a poster, which had sold out, and would love to have one for the garage wall.  I heard it might have been limited to being available on the day only, which would be a shame.

@Bibs

I'd love to get my hands on one of the barrier covers with the 70th cars image or the Lotus 70 image. Would look great on the wall of my garage. :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

Shame about the record,but as someone has already said we never got the instruction,but at the end of the day it was still brilliant to go round the track with that many lotus cars.

I fact not getting the record is not worth a mention,the rest of the day was OUTSTANDING and AWESOME one very happy TLF'er  :)  :)  :)  

• Like 1