Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel filler flap release - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel filler flap release

hspeck

Not sure if this is the correct section, mods please move if wrong.

My car comes with the electric fuel filler flap release system.

Now my right side is working fine, but I am unable to open the left side.

I understand that the release is controlled by solenoids, each to one side. 

There is supposed to be a fuel filler release switch, but I can't seem to find the location in my service notes. There are also very minimum information.

Appreciate if someone with the electric fuel filler release car cans shed more information on the location of the solenoids, the relay switch, and generally how the system works. Also, is the switch under the steering wheel a simple 3 way switch which I can easily replace? I can find the part number.

If you have encountered similar problems, appreciate if you can let me know how it was solved.

Thank you.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solenoids are above the rear wheel arches, one on each side and can be manualy activated (they have a small lever for manual operation). You need a bit af flexible arms but not to bad. (see the parts manual). I once had a problem with one of them which was just a loose connection at one of the solenoids.

Esprit Freak

Mine wouldn't release fora  while, I sprayed a lube for bicycles on the solenoids, and they work fine now. The old grease was a sticky.

You can see the system here. But the image showing removal of the rim panels is incorrect, you can just reach up from above the battery on one side, and the same on the other side of the car.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/FuelCap.html

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

If the solenoid is still working then another  possibility is the plastic end that retains the cable to the plastic opening mechanism ,fixed by screw under the flap ,is broken off the end of the outer cable end fitting.This allows too much free movement in the cable and it will not pull back the opening lever that releases the flap.This has just happened to mine and I am toying with the idea of turning a modified  end cable fitting from aluminium or nylon.Has anyone a better solution .The only way of seeing this is releasing the 2 wingnuts/washers/earth connection and raising the solenoid from it’s fixed base plate,undoing the screw and pulling the complete unit out a little from the filler hole.You can then lever open the mechanism ,release the cable and separate the parts.Have fun.

9 hours ago, fjmuurling said:

The solenoids are above the rear wheel arches, one on each side and can be manualy activated (they have a small lever for manual operation). You need a bit af flexible arms but not to bad. (see the parts manual). I once had a problem with one of them which was just a loose connection at one of the solenoids.

I could only find this picture of the solenoid. It didn't show where exactly the solenoid is ...

I will try to fiddle around for it

thanks

20180824_091751-1_resized.jpg

9 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

Mine wouldn't release fora  while, I sprayed a lube for bicycles on the solenoids, and they work fine now. The old grease was a sticky.

You can see the system here. But the image showing removal of the rim panels is incorrect, you can just reach up from above the battery on one side, and the same on the other side of the car.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/FuelCap.html

Thank you very much. This is extremely helpful.

3 hours ago, stevefh said:

If the solenoid is still working then another  possibility is the plastic end that retains the cable to the plastic opening mechanism ,fixed by screw under the flap ,is broken off the end of the outer cable end fitting.This allows too much free movement in the cable and it will not pull back the opening lever that releases the flap.This has just happened to mine and I am toying with the idea of turning a modified  end cable fitting from aluminium or nylon.Has anyone a better solution .The only way of seeing this is releasing the 2 wingnuts/washers/earth connection and raising the solenoid from it’s fixed base plate,undoing the screw and pulling the complete unit out a little from the filler hole.You can then lever open the mechanism ,release the cable and separate the parts.Have fun.

SJ does sell the new solenoid. I think it is not too expensive at £56.37. It comes with the cable attached.

FuelSolenoid.jpg

The fuel filler release switch is the one under the dash. It's the same as the switches for the windows, and can be replaced by any 3-position switch.

Before buying a new solenoid, I'd make sure you get 12V at the connector. Could be in the switch or wiring. The fuse is shared by both solenoids, so if one is working, that must be good.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

20 minutes ago, Escape said:

The fuel filler release switch is the one under the dash. It's the same as the switches for the windows, and can be replaced by any 3-position switch.

Before buying a new solenoid, I'd make sure you get 12V at the connector. Could be in the switch or wiring. The fuse is shared by both solenoids, so if one is working, that must be good.

Filip

Right. Will check the voltage.

Thanks.

Mine are the cable release ones but I had this crazy idea once of fitting some reasonably strong servos to open the flaps all the way out at the same time, which could happen under heavy braking.

Would look cool, but have little to no practical effect! :)

One of my solenoids didn't work when I bought my X180 but it was the switch at fault. You can swap it out for a new one (Maestro/Montego window switch) of fix it. They're mechanical inside so they are serviceable/cleanable if you fancy opening it up.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

6 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

Mine are the cable release ones but I had this crazy idea once of fitting some reasonably strong servos to open the flaps all the way out at the same time, which could happen under heavy braking.

Would look cool, but have little to no practical effect! :)

I guess the benefit of an electric release is the shorter cable from the solenoid to the latch... 

And from the schematics the ones in the esprit seems direct and simple..

5 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

One of my solenoids didn't work when I bought my X180 but it was the switch at fault. You can swap it out for a new one (Maestro/Montego window switch) of fix it. They're mechanical inside so they are serviceable/cleanable if you fancy opening it up.

Yes, it does look like a simple switch..

Will need to check the connection and voltage at the flap first..

Thanks

If the hinges are lubricated, the springs should pull open the flaps all the way. When standing still, that is.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:03, Escape said:

If the hinges are lubricated, the springs should pull open the flaps all the way. When standing still, that is.

23 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Yes, mine ping out like ears when the switch is flipped at the petrol station 🐰

So did mine!

• 5 years later...

I found this "gem" in the Service manual:

Fuel Filler Flaps
Note that on V8 models prior to VIN T 5105, pressing either end of the fuel filler flap switch (located in the tunnel top tray) will open both filler flaps. After this changepoint, each flap will be released only when that side
of the switch is pressed.

Seems a useless inconvenience and mine is obviously before thatVIN. Does anyone know what was changed afterwards? I can't find anything in the wiring or parts diagrams.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

That is strange! I usually do open both flaps, one side to fill, the other as a breather. But I'm surprised the wiring was changed for the early V8 and then back again.