Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige 350 Sport - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige 350 Sport

Hi Charlie, Your car is pretty similar to mine, fine choice sir 😉

The brass bolts look nice, but they will not be as strong as steel, so possibly not the best option for attaching the towing eye?

You seem to be thinking of adding the colour coded interior bits, same as me! Think I’ve liked your car on Instagram too. Heater surround is two screws underneath & then pull I think? @GFWilliams did tell me a while ago. I’ve bought one to get painted as my current part is trimmed in leather. Seat hoops - some will break, there are 8 pieces & about £22 each, that’s as far As I’ve got with those, still got to look at door trims & gear change.

5 hours ago, ECG1000 said:

Questions, if you don't mind.
a) How do you remove the heater control surround?
b) How do you remove the window switch surrounds?
c) How do you remove the harness loops in the seats?
d) How do you remove the gear linkage surround?

A) pull down at the top, release two tabs and wiggle out. If too tight remove two screws under alu shelf to creat some slack

B) remove door card, release switch from rear

c) Snap them! Better to wrap them in the colour you want

d) Pull up, release switch harnesses then remove. Now pop out insert from behind 

• Like 1

Lovely car - very different in terms of the extra white bits. Looks great! Regarding the shark fins where did you get them from.....deroure? Always liked them and might give them a go

1 hour ago, stephenwhyte said:

Lovely car - very different in terms of the extra white bits. Looks great! Regarding the shark fins where did you get them from.....deroure? Always liked them and might give them a go

Go under 430 cup decals on Deroure, I’ve order a set. 

16 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Welcome!  And very very nice looking car!

(sorry, can't help with your questions, but someone knowledgeable will come along soon)

Thank you vey much!

15 hours ago, KennyN said:

The brass bolts look nice, but they will not be as strong as steel, so possibly not the best option for attaching the towing eye?

Thanks!
Interesting point on the brass bolts. Never even crossed my mind.

12 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

You seem to be thinking of adding the colour coded interior bits, same as me! Think I’ve liked your car on Instagram too. Heater surround is two screws underneath & then pull I think? @GFWilliams did tell me a while ago. I’ve bought one to get painted as my current part is trimmed in leather. Seat hoops - some will break, there are 8 pieces & about £22 each, that’s as far As I’ve got with those, still got to look at door trims & gear change.

Great minds think alike 😀
Yeah I spoke to GF on Instagram who said as much. Just wondered if someone had done a guide on it.
Crazy price for some plastic hoops! That's why I'm being cautious and asking loads of questions.

11 hours ago, MrP_ said:

A) pull down at the top, release two tabs and wiggle out. If too tight remove two screws under alu shelf to creat some slack

B) remove door card, release switch from rear

c) Snap them! Better to wrap them in the colour you want

d) Pull up, release switch harnesses then remove. Now pop out insert from behind 

Thanks for this. Sounds pretty simple then! Famous last words....

11 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Thank you very much.
I was a bit uncertain about all the extra white bits. Now I really like them. I was going to paint the side pods black, but think I may leave them as they are. Time will tell...
Yep, shark fins are from Deroure.

Well, I got bored last night so decided to fit the towing eye.

IMG_5261.thumb.jpg.ba5cdde83a7ba6f25c452d9351f69272.jpg

My recently purchased Lidl dremel did the job!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ECG1000 said:

Thanks for this. Sounds pretty simple then! Famous last words....

if you are around the northwest then I can help. First time you do it nothing seems to move, once you have the knack it's pretty easy

16 hours ago, MrP_ said:

if you are around the northwest then I can help. First time you do it nothing seems to move, once you have the knack it's pretty easy

Thanks mate, I'd really appreciate that. Although it looks like you're on the wrong side of the Pennines 😉

I had my harness holes wrapped in situ.

Much easier than cutting out and putting in new ones.

Tho helps from an access perspective if you have a removeable roof.

Door cards to access window switches and heater surround panel dead easy - if the above is not detailed enough, you will find all you need on a google / youtube search.

Great car - always good to see someone driving and enjoying 🙂 

• 2 months later...
On 24/10/2018 at 18:05, KennyN said:

Actually thought you'd sold yours for a second, then I realised you have driven into a sticker factory

20 hours ago, Dan.G said:

Actually thought you'd sold yours for a second, then I realised you have driven into a sticker factory

Just a couple of subtle, easily reversible additions to mix it up a bit 😉

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Late January

Bedford went well yesterday....sent home after 3 laps for blitzing the noise meters. :thumbup:

7VBsdUYx.jpg
fbYweqLI.jpg
SClgY0HN.jpg|

I knew Bedford is stringent on noise but having read a build thread over on the Lotus Forum where a chap had no problems all day in his Exige, I was at the time, surprised at the banishing!
However, reading further into it, it turns out the early V6 S variant of the Exige has a quieter exhaust. When Lotus updated the V6 platform, they seem to have made everything loud! You live and learn...

This week

A quick update to keep the thread alive...

After being booted off Bedford, I hastily booked Silverstone as a bit of retail therapy. This was supposed to be on Sunday the 3rd of March.
On Saturday the 2nd of March (the weekend it snowed) I was out walking with my girlfriend enjoying the crisp winter air when a text came through from Javelin saying Silverstone has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.... Oh dear. It seemed there was some unseen force conspiring against me to keep me off the track. Never mind....

Anyway, I'm one of those people who was too tight to buy my own helmet. It occurred to me however that adding up all the £10 notes I'd spent each time I hired one, I could have actually bought something of reasonable quality.
So I set about Googling and landed on a few well priced examples. Then a flash of carbon caught my eye and I ended up going berserk  and purchasing this:

kGbEGnVf.jpg

It does look awesome though and at least my feeble neck muscles won't come under too much strain during hard cornering...
An added bonus are the HANS Device brackets.

In other news, the roof has recently started to make a ticking sound. Like plastic rubbing on plastic. I whipped it off one evening last week and lined the brackets with felt tape which seemed to have cured it. However after a weekend thrashing about up in North Yorkshire, the ticking has returned, albeit less frequent. One to revisit this week.

Here's a picture "mid-thrash" just outside Reeth:

9oag6YMa.jpg

More next time, when hopefully I'll have been round a track more than 3 times...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've since pulled the gear-knob surround and heater control surround off to be sprayed Mazda "Soul Red". Should brighten the interior up nicely.

I also had another crack at the roof after speaking to Lotus. They favour using Vaseline on the rubbers...? With the car suitably lubed up and felt stuck everywhere, I'm hoping the ticking has gone. I'm yet to perform a test drive though...

Edited by ECG1000
  • Like 1

Nice right up -- the carbon helmets are too good to resist aren't they! 

Out of interest any lessons learnt on removing the outer section of the fuel cap? My black one is arriving tomorrow and keen to get it on - is it simple? anything to watch out for?

53 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

Out of interest any lessons learnt on removing the outer section of the fuel cap? My black one is arriving tomorrow and keen to get it on - is it simple? anything to watch out for?

Thanks! Need to get a trackday in so I've an excuse to wear it. There's only so many times I can get away with wearing it sitting at my desk!

The filler cap surround is pretty straight forward.
Remove the filler cap, then get all the bolts undone from the surround. (Make sure you double check your allen key is properly seated within the bolts, they're quite tight and easy to round off). Get a flat plastic trim removal tool and work your way round the outer edge of the surround prizing is away from the bodywork being careful not to damage the cork gasket too much. The surround will eventually pop out.
Don't be alarmed when you see the filler neck drop away slightly, it won't go far.
When you're doing everything back up again just be careful not to cross threads on any of the bolts. You'll need to pull the filler neck up to meet the surround and hold it in place quite firmly.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, ECG1000 said:

Thanks! Need to get a trackday in so I've an excuse to wear it. There's only so many times I can get away with wearing it sitting at my desk!

I can relate, bought a cheap £30 helmet back in the day for go karting with friends, and eventually sacrificed it to become a decoration for my reptile tanks... Used to play xbox with it on for a laugh

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BatMobile said:

Don’t forget the o-ring. 😉

Have you lifted the centre console yet ? 

I only ask as I am considering filling in the sides of the open gear gate (not the top, I like that) with a body colour panel.

33 minutes ago, sjw said:

Have you lifted the centre console yet ? 

I only ask as I am considering filling in the sides of the open gear gate (not the top, I like that) with a body colour panel.

I’ve done it several times, just pull up. 4 clips and 2 cable connectors that’s it. The base is three 8mm bolts to the floor.

When pulling up the top part it’s highly likely the clips will come off the top part and fall down, so either get a magnet or take the bottom part off to retrieve.

5 hours ago, MrP_ said:

I’ve done it several times, just pull up. 4 clips and 2 cable connectors that’s it. The base is three 8mm bolts to the floor.

When pulling up the top part it’s highly likely the clips will come off the top part and fall down, so either get a magnet or take the bottom part off to retrieve.

Exactly this. Was surprised how easily it came up actually. 

• 1 month later...

Did you ever paint the interior trims?

I just used this as a quick guide to pop em all out - gonna go yellow me thinks! Orange on an Orange car was too much IMO.

Word of warning, my heater surround was tight, removed screws and you really gotta pull. It gets pretty jammed.
The gearbox surround the instructions weren't quite clear - pull up on the WHOLE alcantara surround, not just the silver plastic bit, pops right out.

Door cars were fiddly, undid the allen bolts, but couldn't tell if they were clips or screws I couldn't get to for the door card, so just left it on and got a smaller screw driver to undo window switches.
Should only take about an hour or so :)