Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fitted 235/35/19 & 275/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Fitted 235/35/19 & 275/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

This is a dumb question I expect but I'm asking it anyway!  How is it possible to fit wider profile tyres on the same alloy wheel?  i.e above you're saying you're changing to 285 from 275?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, Techyd said:

This is a dumb question I expect but I'm asking it anyway!  How is it possible to fit wider profile tyres on the same alloy wheel?  i.e above you're saying you're changing to 285 from 275?

There are size guides online that will give you a range of tyre fitting sizes for each wheel width. The only thing to check then is whether there is enough clearance either side of the wheel for the wider tyre before it hits on any projections.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Techyd said:

Lotus do it on the same size wheels

265 or 285 on the rear  of the Exige, both use a 10'' wide rear wheel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my PS4S's fitted and am most impressed so far. Noticeably quieter and the ride feels softer too. I also haven't encountered the 'skipping' that would occur with the Pirellis when manoeuvring on full lock at low speeds.

I have no intent of using them on track but for road use they certainly get my vote :thumbup:

• Like 2

You know come to think of it the skipping is much less for me too!

Its definitely a quieter ride,  and wet grip today was very good!!

Thats the one the best things about modern high performance tyres, they give up so little in everyday use they really are brilliant!  Sure the Cup2 will get you round a track 1 sec faster but in comparison its wet and cold condition performance is much worse.

Just wish Michelin sold the PS4S in 18 in the UK.  Come Michelin sort it out!! 

• Like 1

Excellent point about the full lock skipping, I had completely forgotten about that. It was really bad with the Pirellis but I've not noticed it at all either, since the change to MPS4Ss.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to revise my earlier comment about the Michelin PS4 coping totally fine with track driving.  I was at Bedford Autodrome again this weekend and I found after a few laps the tyres going off and not providing as much grip or stability as previous laps like there was extra play in tread blocks so you lost a touch of steering feedback too.  I guess they were getting too hot, as at the start of each session grip was good again and then would fall off after ~5laps (~15 mins).

I don't know if it was just the hotter temperatures we had over the weekend ~22degC compared to my previous track day which was around ~10degC or just the extra knowledge and skills gained since my last time out so I was able to push the car harder and work the tyres more or maybe a bit of both but I found the tyres didn't give the same consistent grip they did lap after lap after lap as they did on my previous track day at Bedford.  Performance didn't drop off a cliff it was small incremental steps once they got hot and still very usable for the occasional track day and you'll still have loads of fun but you're got going to be setting long stint lap records but then you wouldn't be using PS4 if that was your aim anyways.

My rears are almost worn out now so I'm going to replace with the Super Sports, I have the 18/19 wheel combo so the PS4S are not available in my size.   After talking to the helpful people at Michelin customer services they think the Super Sport should cope better with track driving than the PS4, the SS is designed around 80% road and 20% track driving. I will do the fronts too when they eventually wear out too.

That's seems consistent with the tyres position in the range - on the track the compound and tread block design doesn't hold to to prolonged track usage.

Bedford autodrome is a great circuit by the way!  Quite a long lap so enough space for cars to spreadout.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently change my original fit P-Zero’s for the 400 Michelins. Despite some on here saying they only got 2,000 miles out of a set, mine did 30,000kms. Probably because the roads in Italy have a pretty low grip surface.  I find the Michelins to be a rather better tyre, giving much sharper responsiveness as others have said. I’m also glad to have moved up to the wider size as they fit the rims better than the Pirelli's and have the small curbing protection strip. 

• Like 1

@Breeze I guess your car has been equipped with the P zero Corsa tyre?

(well, actually the corsas - from a look at the pireli homepage in Germany - could be ordere in LS specification "again", bit if that changes I have to think abut changing to Michelin next change also)

• 4 months later...

Just had this exact tyre and size configuration fitted on my Evora. Really impressed so far. I didn't think the initial turn in could be improved but it has! Noticed the difference within the first few corners. The steering feels slightly lighter in general too which I like. The tyre noise at speed is also markedly lower than the P-Zero Corsas that were on the car previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a replacement for the Cup 2s on the GT410 coming into winter, and I'm torn between the PS4Ses and some more winter bias tyres like Alpins. 

How do you guys find the PS4S in the winter? Intend on driving the car in some pretty crappy conditions, and so I'm wondering if a winter sport tyre might allow me to explore more of the cars capabilities throughout the grotty UK winter. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LeglessAlex said:

How do you guys find the PS4S in the winter? Intend on driving the car in some pretty crappy conditions, and so I'm wondering if a winter sport tyre might allow me to explore more of the cars capabilities throughout the grotty UK winter. 

If you want to drive your car ‘properly’ during winter (which I suspect that you do) then any summer tyre is going to be a compromise. Especially when it starts getting really cold, wet and icy/snowy. 

You will be best off with a dedicated set of UHP winter tyres (then swap back to the Cup2/PS4S in the Spring). The Continental WinterContacts are currently the best on the market:

I used the Michelin Alpin 4 for last winter and was very happy with their performance.  After a crap load of research and reading reviews etc I wanted the Conti WinterContacts but they did not come in the correct sizes for my S1 NA Evora. I think for the Gt410 you are in luck and the tyres are available in the correct sizes.  I went for the Alpin's as local tyre shop could get them in stock for good price and quickly and they got good reviews back in their day when they were the new kids on the block.

I found the Alpin4 keyed into the road surface better at low temperatures and you could feel the tyre was not as hard / plasticly feeling as the summer tyre (MPS4).  It coped with deep puddles better and felt like it cut its way through the puddles better and had less of the that dragging / pulling feeling you get when you have one tyre in the water. I used it in very light snow for two days and the grip in traction and steering was amazing.  For the first time I could drive a car normally in snow (albeit with more care and attention) but essentially I had no problem pulling away at standstill and no problem performing tight turns or controlling speed going down hill.  I could see other drivers spinning their wheel trying to get forward momentum and ocailsonally getting understeer and oversteer, so while it was just a light sprinkling of snow in Hertfordshire the grip levels were significantly reduced to the extent drivers were not in full control of their cars.  I had no such issues in the Evora, just applied a bit of common sense while driving and it was fine.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. 

I think I'm going to go Alpin 4, The Wintercontacts look like the 'better' tyre but they don't come in the recommended winter sizes for the 19/20" wheels and I'm a sucker for doing things by the book. 

Looks like it'll be about £1,000 roughly for a set of them fitted, which isn't too bad. Hopefullt I'll get 2-3 winters out of them :)