Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 23 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

• Gold FFM

If there is interest in me running one I can speak to my fabricator about the cost of making a jig and producing a batch @Sparky.

• Like 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

On 23/07/2022 at 18:53, tomcattom said:

it's more the flat spot low down in the rev range

Sounds like the infamous S4s 3K stumble

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

I do think this has potential as a group buy.  A lot of hoses out there that are close to end of life, and what's currently available as a replacement is poor IMO.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

My pipe has cost me a shade under £150 all in to make, that includes silicone reducers, jubillee clips and the cost of the welding.

Out of curiosity I just checked online and the OE part appears to still be available from Lotus but it costs £212.72+VAT 😮

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/product?qs=1&MAK=1&MDL=15&TBL=1555&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0&PBID=44099

Looks like there could be a market for a group buy potentially then... 🤔

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Gjk said:

I’d be interested in a group buy, if the pipe will fit an se as well.

If it has the chargecooler, then it looks like it should fit from a quick glance at the parts list. Just not sure whether the turbo compressor inlet is a different size and might require a different size of silicone reducer. That statement would apply to any model that isn't an S4s I guess. I don't know if the turbo compressor inlet differed greatly, if at all, between models.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I’ve just checked the parts catalogue for the se and s4/S4s and the air box to turbo hose is the same part number in both manuals (F907E1089F) so it should fit no problem.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

2 hours ago, tomcattom said:

I just checked online and the OE part appears to still be available from Lotus but it costs £212.72+VAT

Or £109.38 plus delivery from SJSportscars :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Just be aware the stock part is flexible. This solution isn’t. 
If you have a alunox manifold the alignment could be an issue. 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

The SJ alternative is longer than it needs to be and incredibly inflexible.  It almost pushes the airbox off its (admittedly poor) mountings.

For X180-on, the fit should be standard for all but Sport 300 which has a larger turbo outlet.

Might improve laminar flow too!

And then there's the G-car option...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

The SJ alternative is longer than it needs to be and incredibly inflexible

SJ are stating that it's a genuine Lotus part?

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Given I've fitted several from there, I'd disagree.  However, maybe they were updated.  Dreadful IMO.

35 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Nice job!

If there's any contact though, stick-on foam will last about 5 minutes. Rubber insertion would be a better choice, it's much more robust. 

x 2! Silicone rubber will tolerate massive heat.

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

Its not actually in contact, its more a preventative measure incase, through movement in the engine bay, that they end up touching.

The rubber was all I had to hand in the garage at the time. It's actually some left over closed cell neoprene stuff from one of the other jobs on the car. I'll see how it holds up if there is contact and I can improve upon the material choice later if needed, or the pipe shape itself. The pipe is still somewhat of a prototype at this stage.

• Gold FFM

Just a thought, what about doing it the other way round? By that I mean having the reducer mounted to the air filter  outlet and a smaller diameter tube to run down to the turbo inlet.

• Gold FFM

I'm no fluid dynamicist, but as I understand it from my research, you want the maximum size pipe to the compressor inlet and reduce it down as close to the turbo as possible @Gjk, but I don't know the exact physics as to why.

Perhaps instead it's on the exhaust turbine side where one seeks to expand the pipe promptly, old reference cited here from a book authored by Hugh McGinness. (Apology if name misspelled, my library is in temporary storage.) The theory was that spiralling flow exiting the turbine should be made laminar and straight as quickly as possible. Search for discussion on contouring the inlet side flow over in the Stevens threads, per either @CarBuff or @MrDangerUS.

Cheers

McInness IIRC

• Gold FFM

It was just a thought.

it has been far too many years since I studied fluid and thermo dynamics for me to remember anything of any importance, so apologies for the stab in the dark.