Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 14 - Type 130 - Lotus Evija - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Tex

9 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Yep it is absolutely ridiculous they have generators powered by fossil fuels and also swapping cars as the batteries can't last a full race. I get its a bit of chicken and egg situation, where the tech needs to grow before its viable in a race series but then we need the race series to push development for the tech ... but I think it could have been handled better.

They’ve sorted that for this season. The battery lasts the full race, so no need for idiotic car changes. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
25 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Yep it is absolutely ridiculous they have generators powered by fossil fuels and also swapping cars as the batteries can't last a full race.

At least they don’t swap cars this year anymore as they managed enough range. What I am struggling with is that they are in cities so there has to be ways to get proper power from the grid!

For Aston Martin, that was the official line when they did the IPO as they wanted to show that the Valkyrie type profit could be recurring rather than a one off but considering how badly they are doing right now, you would have thought they would have sold a bit more if they could without damaging the market.

I think is is about 150 pininfarina as well. Not that high a number but if people feel there is something better out there, it quickly becomes a big number.

Edited by PAR

Key issues of the car, hopefully the lotus factory can answer those urgent requests so we can start thinking of which color to order the car into.

- number plate: j assume there will be a hologram displaying it, can you confirm?

- ground clearance? I need to park my car over a slightly shallow curb. Can the car be raised with a button?

- cup holders obviously?

- golf clubs? Do they go in the front or the back?

- can you confirm 50-50 is available? In fact, can you make it 99-1?

- Batteries, does the alarm drain it in 2 weeks like on my Evora?

otherwise all good and clear I believe

ps. Did people notice they reverted to Pirellis? Does it mean something for other models?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, red vtec said:

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive

I think that's an ill-considered opinion from those people then.  In context to the Evijas competition, it is lightweight.  There are many synergies in the details they have unveiled that stay true to Lotus as well as in the looks - there are literally nods to Lotus everywhere and yet it takes the brand forward as is the main hallmark of what Lotus do.

Yes its expensive but its limited production run, assured rarity and exotic materials don't come cheap.

4 minutes ago, Techyd said:

I think that's an ill-considered opinion from those people then.  In context to the Evijas competition, it is lightweight.  There are many synergies in the details they have unveiled that stay true to Lotus as well as in the looks - there are literally nods to Lotus everywhere and yet it takes the brand forward as is the main hallmark of what Lotus do.

Yes its expensive but its limited production run, assured rarity and exotic materials don't come cheap.

All I'm saying is that was from someone with a McLaren F1, therefore in the capacity to afford these kind of cars.

I think it looks great but will see what pans out (and if My euro millions comes up)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 minutes ago, red vtec said:

All I'm saying is that was from someone with a McLaren F1, therefore in the capacity to afford these kind of cars.

I think it looks great but will see what pans out (and if My euro millions comes up)

Yes quite - and I'm countering their opinion, not yours 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PAR said:

ps. Did people notice they reverted to Pirellis? Does it mean something for other models?

I did 😝😁

Supplier market is always the same thing... What's the price you're offering and for what. Michelin has not been the best compromise for this project. Congrats Pirelli, I'm jealous 😋

But for the future projects, it will still be a 'competition' between the tire manufacturers. So, depending on strategies and offers, we will see what it brings. 

35 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

But for the future projects, it will still be a 'competition' between the tire manufacturers. So, depending on strategies and offers, we will see what it brings. 

Tyres being a big thing at that level of performance. McLaren reckon with the Speedtail, above 250mph the tyres required would make the ride far too harsh to fulfill it's GT, hyper car brief. 

• Like 1

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

Massively more downforce and weighs about the same as a Ford Focus RS. Neither Batista nor Rimac Concept Two are aiming for much downforce and weigh closer to a Bentley Continental. So with more power, a lot less weight, huge downforce and Lotus handling it should be in a different class altogether around corners. In that respect it’s unique for a road legal EV.

So an overall answer is "the same, but potentially better in many aspects".

Interesting to me thing is that 2018 car sales revenues as I understand must have been somewhere around up to £120mn (that's 1,700 cars at £70,000 apiece, which is already quite high) with certainly unexciting profitability. And now they are talking about £260mn revenues (130 cars at £2mn apiece) with as I understand 30-50% margins. Why would anyone bother about all of these Elise's, Exiges and Evoras if the above is true? Would it not be better to just pop out some limited edition hypercars in 50-500 batches each year and live happily? :rolleyes:

"the same but potentially better in many aspects" covers the difference between 1960's 911 and the current GT3RS. Some argue that an electric car and ICE are much the same thing just propelled by a different energy source. In other words, each to his own definition.

The Battista uses the same EV architecture as the Rimac Concept 2 so they really are very similar under the skin, both use a T format for the battery pack however the Lotus Evija puts the battery pack behind the seats where an engine might go. The Battista/Rimac C2 offers longer range (300 miles) with longer charging times. The focus is on luxury, the styling was deliberately supercar conventional and there's no mention of weight or downforce. It will be very interesting to see which approach is the most successful, if anyone could get access to the real sales figures of course.

If Lotus quickly shift 130 Evijas I'm sure it will reconsider it's strategy. It will be the first of a number of hypercars for sure. However their first priority is to reach their break-even number, Geely will want the project to pay for itself. Anything over that will be a bonus but until they actually sell a sufficient number of Evijas they won't be canning plans to produce more accessible cars just yet. The Lotus range will look very different to what it is now by 2021 in any event.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, red vtec said:

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive. And it will never be built.  They are saying Lotus is lightweight and cheaper  and its point was it beat the more expensive rivals, by being that. Not sure if that's correct.

Well Lotus isn't beating expensive rivals where it matters: selling cars and making profit.

Reminds me of reviews of Lotus that drool over it being light weight, but then in the end say the Porsche is better because it has a 4-wheel steering, nicer interior,  nicer ICE, etc.

This is probably what it feels like to be Lotus sometimes: 

Edited by Likuid

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

That certainly is a beautiful looking car and kudos to Russel and the guys in Hethel for pulling this off.  Anyone know if this is a "real" ie drivable car, or a model, and the car with the real engine and batteries is "coming soon"?

Need to see it on the track!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

49 minutes ago, The Pits said:

covers the difference between 1960's 911 and the current GT3RS

Surely these are not considered as "groundbreaking hypercars"?

50 minutes ago, The Pits said:

no mention of weight or downforce

Didn't you say that Evija is lighter and with loads more downforce? How does it work if for one car it is known (or rather claimed) and for the other one it is not mentioned?

52 minutes ago, The Pits said:

If Lotus quickly shift 130 Evijas

Didn't they say that the number of requests made them increase the production plan? I understand it means these are all sold out?

53 minutes ago, The Pits said:

until they actually sell a sufficient number of Evijas they won't be canning plans to produce more accessible cars just yet

So if they sell let's say 50 of those (roughly, to match 2018 profits through a bit lower revenues with nicer margins), then they can get rid of these "poor man's cars"?

55 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Lotus range will look very different to what it is now by 2021 in any event

Doesn't look like it if you trust what their CEO says - one incrementally new model to be shown (not mass produced) by the end of 2019. Or you think there will be a flurry of brand new models in 2020, in an industry with shortening but still at least 3-5 years development cycles?

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, The Pits said:

One more number that I'm struggling to get my head around. The following are all claimed 0-300kph times:

Porsche 991 GT3RS - 40.8

McLaren 540C - 31.5

Ferrari F40 - 31.0

McLaren 570S - 27.7

McLaren 600LT - 26.6

McLaren 675LT - 23.5

991 GT2 - 22.9

McLaren 720S - 19.7

La Ferrari - 15.7

Bugatti Veyron Supersport - 14.6

McLaren Speedtail - 12.8 seconds.

Pininfarina Battista - under 12 seconds.

Lotus Evija < 9 seconds.

Actually when you put it like that, it does make you think. Personally I love it, bit disappointed all lhd though 

also will @Sparky be able to fix it! 

4 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Lotus Evija < 9 seconds.

Claiming is not necessarily delivering. As it looks, they plan to be able to gain 100kmph of speed every 3s and all with huge downforce. Aha.

It's got DRS and active aero so it only has huge downforce when it needs it.

3 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Claiming is not necessarily delivering.

Usually I think Lotus has the reputation to be quite honest or conservative with their car top speed and acceleration, hasn't it?

5 minutes ago, vd9 said:

As it looks, they plan to be able to gain 100kmph of speed every 3s and all with huge downforce.

As for the first 100km/h I suspect the problem is more the traction than the power, so it might explain why the 0-100 is claimed to be "only"  under 3 seconds?

20 minutes ago, Dan E said:

Actually when you put it like that, it does make you think. Personally I love it, bit disappointed all lhd though 

also will @Sparky be able to fix it! 

Doubt he will be able to get in it😀

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Initial looks impressive until you really look closely, let's hope its not the same guys painting these who did my Exige which was shocking and had to rectified by a detailer straight away.

Looking at the pictures It looks like more parts bin items used, and again whoever is on quality control needs a trip to Specsavers, if these faults can be seen from low resolution videos what is it going to be like up close... and this is described as the show car...

Comments form the head of design,, 

"A form of luxury"

" Certainly a car like this everything has to exquisite in there"

"When you pay this sort of money you expect everything to be very very special"

2 million really  🤣

Evija 1.JPG

Evija.JPG

Evija1-quality of switch gear.JPG

quality.JPG

Stalks ffs.JPG

Edited by marky68
  • Thanks 1