Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LED rear light change - Blood Red or Smoked? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

LED rear light change - Blood Red or Smoked?

I'm considering these as a little upgrade to my Evora

https://www.elise-shop.com/gt-rear-lights-for-evora-up-to-evora-gt430-p-503408.html?zenid=2b05f50fc94388fc1500540e6a05aaae

There are limited pictures available - I've seen another one pictured in black (currently in the classifieds on auto trader) which looks really nice.  I can't quite tell if its the smoked or the blood red.

As I've got a silver Evora, I was thinking the blood red finish would look best.

What I was wondering was if anyone on here has these lights, what they thought of them and if they have any (fitted) pictures (lit and unlit ideally)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They look a bit like Transforged Afterburner lights (if I remember the name correctly).  I've mostly only seen these lights mentioned on the US forums so these could be the same lights imported to Europe by Else Shop?

Have search on the US forums or on Google image search for them.

GRP now sell through Elise shop. They are GRP lights. I have the smoked ones. Great quality no Problems in 10 months of use. 

Its the wrong model I know but gives you an idea. They are plug and play. 5 minute install. 

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Thanks - It didn't occur to me to search for 'transforged racing afterburners' 😁

1 hour ago, Techyd said:

Thanks - It didn't occur to me to search for 'transforged racing afterburners' 😁

The Elise-shop lights are definitely the GRP ones, NOT the Transforged ones. 

If you click on Greg’s link above (gregsraceparts.com), you will see lots of photos of his lights on different coloured cars. 

Word of warning. 

I mounted the resistors on the back of the lamps. After a long drive around the Alps on my way home I had a terrible burning smell from the boot. It turned out that the heat generated by one of the high wattage resistors had caused it to melt into the lamp. I think I was really lucky it didnt set the car on fire. I just took them off and fitted the originals. They do look great and GRP are a pleasure to deal with, but too close for comfort for me. I'll post some pics at the weekend.

cheers

Mark

• Confused 1

Thanks everyone - so am I right in thinking then that these aren't fully UK spec lights - as in I do need to fit additional resisters (that could also potentially be a fire risk)??

I'll email elise-shop and enquire with them as well

Correct they dont have the EN coding I think it is. 

And no, there weren't any dry joints :)

I would recommens the resistors are put on a proper heat sink based on my experience.

cheers

Excuse my utter ignorance 

can these be sold in UK if they don’t carry the correct compliance marking ? 

I would like these as my lights look a bit wired as they have a beige plastic surround but not if they are hugely complicated as they need further adaptions ? 

Non of these aftermarket lights carry the UK, EN or US DOT compliance markings.  I don't know how detailed your inspection scrutiny is, but if you steer clear of the smoked, light output is very similar to OEM so you may well get away with it.  Personally In the US I went with the GRP GT smoked lights because I have a black car, but I'm keeping my OEM lights either for an inspection fail or to sell as original. Switching out the lights is a very painless process. (2 nuts and 1 connector each, accessible from truck)

IMG_2942.jpg

Edited by Julian73

Those “boxes” are relatively high wattage resistors, aka they generate heat. They are required to make the indicators work and prevent hyper flashing. I think in my case, as I had a boot full of stuff for my car, the air flow was minimised. Thus the heat build up to such a degree it started to melt the cables and the light cluster. With hindsight I would have attached these resistors to high efficiency heat sinks, but as I have refitted the OEM lights I’m not going back there. 

It’s your car, your risk and your insurance issue if you have not declared them. The lights look absolutely brilliant, cant fault that, but I’m not going to take the risk.

cheers

Mark

ps It also melted the boot carpet too, of which I can also supply a photo.

On 26/07/2019 at 16:10, Cdm2018 said:

I would like these as my lights look a bit wired as they have a beige plastic surround

Sounds like the chrome has come off. Best solution is to remove the rings and spray them black. It’s 5 mins to remove and 30 minutes with a bit of wet and dry and a spray can. 

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

20 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Those “boxes” are relatively high wattage resistors, aka they generate heat. They are required to make the indicators work and prevent hyper flashing. I think in my case, as I had a boot full of stuff for my car, the air flow was minimised. Thus the heat build up to such a degree it started to melt the cables and the light cluster. With hindsight I would have attached these resistors to high efficiency heat sinks, but as I have refitted the OEM lights I’m not going back there. 

It’s your car, your risk and your insurance issue if you have not declared them. The lights look absolutely brilliant, cant fault that, but I’m not going to take the risk.

cheers

Mark

ps It also melted the boot carpet too, of which I can also supply a photo.

I think that’s pretty sound - product doesn’t sound fit for purpose, a good reminder why we have product standards really!

Ill be giving these lights a miss!

Calm down, @Techyd.

I think that @Mark030358 is being very unfair to Greg @GRP (of gregsraceparts, the manufacturer of the lights). It was Mark who chose to mount the resistors directly to the back of the lights, not Greg. 

I have a set of Greg’s original lights and I have the resistors installed ‘in line’ with the cables. I have had no issues with heat at all. I suspect that other GRP customers, such as @Andy Norman, would be happy to corroborate this. 

This heat issue was because of Mark’s decision, not Greg’s. 

Nothing to calm down about @Bravo73

I’ve simply weighed up the feedback from my original post and decided not to buy them, I’m just not comfortable with having to retrofit parts to the light for them to work correctly and I certainly don’t want to worry about a potential fire risk.

Cheers 😃

I’ve never seen or heard of others with this issue. The back of the light has stamped GRP venting through the housing which I assume should not be covered and certainly not have the resistors stuck to. If indeed stuck to was the adhesive used the problem. My resistors remain cool and are away from the lights as designed by GRP.

Have done many hours of driving in all temperatures night and day with no problems at all. 

Indeed, it’s the first grumble about GRP lights I’ve ever witnessed unlike the TF ones.

Saying all that though it’s your car and your experience so do what you want. Ive kept all OEM parts so I can switch any alterations I make. 

I would email Greg he’s a great guy and replies promptly and was a pleasure to deal with. 

41 minutes ago, Techyd said:

...and I certainly don’t want to worry about a potential fire risk.

My point is that the lights aren’t a fire risk. Unless they have been wired up incorrectly by an end user (just like any electrical item). 

And they are certainly ‘fit for purpose’ (contrary to your previous post). 

They don’t quite work ‘out of the box’ (at least in this country as I understand it) without further modification. I can see that the lights aren’t the fire risk, it’s the additional wiring, so they’re not quite fit for purpose at least by my expectation of it...likely we are splitting hairs about that at this point.

I see where you’re coming from though.  Did you get yours from Elise-shop? What sort of fitting instructions did yours come with for the resisters and were they plug and play or did you need to wire or perhaps solder them in at all?

Reckon I’ll email them and ask for some more info - I do really like the lights 😃 just need to know they’re safe