Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S3 Resurrected! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S3 Resurrected!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That looks amazing. You must be over the moon with that mot pass too. 

Now just need to wait for a cold &crisp, dry day for a proper work out. 

Glad to have been any help or inspiration getting you there but now you are an inspiration to others, especially if you can post your journey too!

Made up for you.

Simon

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

It’s been the regular updates from the like of you and Fabian that got me there, Roland! 

Keep up the good work, and I’ll set about detailing the process in the next week or so..

• Thanks 1

The two tone interior looks really tasty, as does the whole car, well done. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

On 20/11/2019 at 09:43, DaveyT said:

Many thanks to all on here for the advice and encouragement over the last six years, especially @slewthy, @johnpwalsh, @molemot , @Buddsy, @Lotusfab, @Paul Coleman, @Matt-watts, @cbclotus and so many others (Not least @Bibs for establishing this awesome resource!)

It’s taken 5 years longer than planned due to family deaths, illnesses, relocation and other issues, but finally, just a few cosmetics left to do.

It was Soooo good to drive it up to the MoT station, and then have to “go and warm it up properly 😉”, before the emissions test

just a couple of taster pics before I retrospectively blog the process a la @Fridge

2CCA3476-7BA3-4290-AD0B-79B3B773C7F6.jpeg

Is the boot bag an original Lotus item?

• Like 1

I guess my 2-years will pale in comparison. 😎

On 25/11/2019 at 22:56, DaveyT said:

I presume  it is, Eric....has an original Bell and Colville pull tag on, and has ‘patina’😉

I have one on the car that I acquired and currently in the final stages of restoration. The bag is "possibly" a B&C item but not out of the Lotus factory as I don't see it listed on the Parts Lists.

To use the bag requires a bunch of fasteners riveted into the boot drain channels, and I am debating if I should do that.

The fasteners aren't in the drain channel - here's my original boot bag.

y4m4AiJUw1AiOjUEf_vWOPP5oPAzOlZVNJqv9MjT

I think Eric was trying to say Lotus never supplied boot bags, but that they were added by the dealership?

Personally I believe they were supplied with the cars from factory.

in terms of detail, mine has three pop studs each side, and a thin metal rail screwed into the rear lip, hidden by a fold of the bag itself.

the curly cutout around the boot springs says to me these bags were supplied to the same spec.

Wait. I guess I'll have to stop this discussion on boot bags for about 10 days as I am currently away from home. Let me get back and snap a few pics.

The boot bags are definitely original factory equipment on the earlier cars - certainly for both our 1982 cars.  Not sure what MY Eric's car is, but I'd guess if it doesn't already have the fasteners in situ, it is after the switch over to the carpeted boot. I was showing that they didn't go in the drain channel.

The NA and Turbo boot bags are different at the front - due to the turbo's engine cover.

SJs have the original Turbo boot bag in stock: https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082V5232J.htm and they have both a bag and a boot cover (for MY 85 onwards - which I wasn't aware of) for the NA

Edited to add:

More photos are always welcome. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

The boot bags are definitely original factory equipment on the earlier cars - certainly for both our 1982 cars.  Not sure what MY Eric's car is, but I'd guess if it doesn't already have the fasteners in situ, it is after the switch over to the carpeted boot. I was showing that they didn't go in the drain channel.

The NA and Turbo boot bags are different at the front - due to the turbo's engine cover.

SJs have the original Turbo boot bag in stock: https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082V5232J.htm and they have both a bag and a boot cover (for MY 85 onwards - which I wasn't aware of) for the NA

Edited to add:

More photos are always welcome. :thumbsup:

MY1984 NA car

My '82 S3 had a bag which was falling to pieces so I took it to a local trim shop who made me a new one for about £20.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

15 minutes ago, jonwat said:

My '82 S3 had a bag which was falling to pieces so I took it to a local trim shop who made me a new one for about £20.  :thumbup:

My boot bag is intact. Just that the holes for the fasteners were filled during re-spray and I was wondering whether I should drill and rivet new fasteners as required.

would depend for me on two things Eric..

1 originality reqt,

2 whether you want to contain stuff you put in the boot...

good luck either way, and enjoy 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ekwan said:

My boot bag is intact. Just that the holes for the fasteners were filled during re-spray and I was wondering whether I should drill and rivet new fasteners as required.

Hi Eric. I would drill them as you need, that’s what I did on my S1.

• Like 1

So, having got the MoT, I ended up away from home for the next two weeks....😡🤔

Got back and the clutch wasn’t playing ball (i suspect the new aftermarket master wasnt sealing correctly as I was getting erratic load on the pedal. One press would give some resistance, the next wouldnt.) so off to SJ to collect a new one and some setup advice from Steve and  all is again well in the clutch world, with 19mm throw at the clutch and smooth, easy gearchanges👍🏻

See here for details...https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/107123-setting-top-mounted-clutch-slave/