Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 15 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

It's not Type Approved, that has to go on anything that isn't fitted to the car during Type Approval and it's not cost effective to do it again at several £m for a dash their making a couple of hundred quid on at best.

I'm sure we'd all rather see more of these 'Track Use Only' upgrades from the factory than not, no?  

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Yes, I agree aim products are top quality, but it might be malfunction due to a damaged ECU. Lotus dealership told me I have to replace ECU(it's a long story), to be on the safe side, better to check on aim as well cuz it indeed is preventing connection to obdII

On 12/06/2020 at 19:33, 3eighty said:

Is there any way to correctly manage odometer mileage if you switch cars and want to swap the AIM unit across to the newer car?

On 12/06/2020 at 20:07, Seriouslylotus said:

If you send it back to a dealer with the ability to set the mileage, YES no possible for the end user.

Happy to help sort if you need it doing

I’ m interested in this dash, primarily for road use,  and read/reread various posts, however there a couple of things bugging me and a possible purchase, that hopefully someone can help out.

1. So the AIM dash can be reset to any value by the dealer, no problem.  But what happens if I want to revert to the original OEM dash any any reason, e.g  I’m selling my old car with OEM dash and want to use the AIM in the new car? My understanding is that the OEM odometer reading is stored in the instrument binnacle and not the ECU and therefore will be shown incorrectly when reinstated back in the old car (unless I’m completely wrong.of course!) How do/will people get around this opportunity?

2. By stating “track use only” for the product surely this potentially compromises road use legality/insurance claim position etc.? Whilst  I’ve used  “non-approved” parts in the past, from an accident assessors viewpoint I would have thought there’s a world  of difference is assessment terms at the end of the day between using a different exhaust, to having a non OEM dash displaying “critical” information such as vehicle speed. Or am I over thinking this?

Don’t get me wrong I love the AIM idea, I just want to be clear of all the possible implications of adoption.

• Like 1

You're over thinking it would be my addition to the debate.

The only question you may want answered is can a dealer reset my original binnacle to the "new" correct mileage if I take the AIM one out.  I don't know if that can be done or not, but I am sure someone will be along to clarify.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

In the US, when a dash has been replaced, there is a sticker placed on the door sill with the mileage from the previous dash. Therefore, I do not believe  the dealers can update the odometer.

Later,
Eldon

My understanding is that this can’t be done by dealers. 
Many folks who have suffered faulty dash’s in the past got a new one from Lotus. The new one came with 0 miles and paperwork to state the mileage at the point of swap out. This was a few years ago, it may have changed but I would be doubtful. 
I am sure some companies will be able to change the dash for you, but it would cost money and is staying in to a dodgy area. 

I think the best way around this would be to sell the dash with car and therefore all the mileage will link up. 

regarding your point on insurance and legality, I too think you are over thinking this one. 

Before i bite the bullet and ask the dealership to install this on my soon to arrive Heritage edition, can anyone update on their current status on dash ownership:

I have read but not found out if the HVAC back light was due to this being fitted, if there was a confirmed issue relating to the fitting and if there was a fix.

I noticed that the dash was initially for S3 Elise and Exige, however, am I correct in thinking not all functions would work ie lights left on buzzer?  Do all things work as expected with the latest release?

Have issues with corrupted displays been rectified software and hardware wise?

It's not something I would like to fit to a brand new car and have hassles with.  We don't have a dealership as yet in Scotland and I'll be mighty frustrated if I have a round trip of 200 miles to keep getting things done at Carlisle.

One final thing I read was the quality of the binnacle.  Am guessing some work is required still to make it look a bit nicer with dipping or wrapping?

Cheers - look forward to reading updates.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 15:09, GFWilliams said:

Interesting to see @Seriouslylotus has got the separate shift lights with the MX2E. I’ve ordered a set from him :D 

wow ! good ! Indeed after my first track day yesterday with the dash, I will appreciate a bigger view of the shift lights. What are the prerequisites to connect it to the display ?

On 04/06/2020 at 23:18, Mark030358 said:

@geartox Is your gearbox temperature from the ECU working? Mine did not display anything Just a “-“ even though the signal had units of DegC.

thanks

@Mark030358 Sorry for the delay I have tested only the device yesterday. Yes I have a temperature for the IPS gearbox, but the numbers are very very (very) high not sure they are accurate. Based on the EVORA 400 Service Notes regarding the IPS (should be the same for my Exige IPS) :

image.thumb.png.cddda12dbdd40105e559cad6498a0250.png

If the temperature exceeds 140° we have a TCU warning light. I can guarantee that I never got this warning light (same thing before the upgrade to the MX2E - oem display, in the same time nothing has changed on the gearbox).

This is why I think the number is not correct.

Maybe @Seriouslylotus could help here. 

There is no TCU warning light on the AIM dash is there ? Also no warning buzzer for any IPS errors.

That is one of the main reasons I have not changed, how would you know you have a TCU issue ?

For supposed plug and play it’s still not OEM standard.

@AndyD I can't be sure of course you are right. But before the AIM dash I never got any warning light and nothing has changed on the car regarding the gearbox. In the same time with the OEM cluster we don't have the gearbox temp 😂

But it's a good point regarding the TCU warning light.

@geartox maybe we are not supposed to see the real temperature😉

Seriously I can do without the buzzer but I have experienced the TCU lamp coming on a couple of times due to some communication error with the ECU .. easy reset the codes but obviously having no warning would have taken longer to find it.