Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fixing Evora flat battery and boot release cable problems - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Fixing Evora flat battery and boot release cable problems

Great description and discussion. I threw my phone in the boot without removing the cover, but can still see that I would probably benefit from the same “+2 washers” tweak to move the hammer out a couple of mm...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Glad people are finding this handy👍🏼
Mik, I can see the wear mark on your hammer just on the corner, where it is just catching your latch pin. Does your manual cable work okay? My whole issue was that that the manual cable tilted the mechanism (because it is attached to a higher point of the hammer lever) and the hammer slipped behind the latch pin.

Out of interest, how many washers do you currently have per mounting bolt?

And remember, if you do adjust it, make sure everything is aligned correctly and bolts tightened before you shut your boot (and the key is in your hand😳). Otherwise you could cause a bigger problem than you already have. 
There is that old saying: If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it😀👍🏼

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, time for an update.

I now need to rig up a method of trickle charging the new battery. The car is in a garage with NO mains power, so I am going to use a solar panel setup on the roof...more on that later.

First step is installing a Magcode connector on the outside of the car. I want to use this method as I don’t like the idea of having a cable being kinked in the boot lid (even though other people say there’s enough clearance in the rubber seal), I also have a car cover on most of the time, so don’t want that trapping the cable against the bodywork.

So I read Chad’s (2011 chrome orange) excellent post on Lotustalk with interest https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/exterior-mounted-12v-magnetic-battery-charger-connector-for-evoras.470374/ and considered buying the kit he used from Hethelsport https://hethelsport.com/tools/charger-connection-kit/

But it’s fairly expensive plus import duties to the U.K. So I put my own kit together...

The Magcode connector is available on Amazon for £36.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS0B8HH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The protective cover is £11.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magcode-Plastic-Protective-Weatherproof-Spring/dp/B01NCP1IFI/ref=pd_sbs_263_3/257-7002855-5412464?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NCP1IFI&pd_rd_r=4fa2f4c5-dff5-4aec-a51d-3ea48742f4e8&pd_rd_w=EeyBC&pd_rd_wg=XwaS7&pf_rd_p=96cae456-8d7a-4bc1-91c7-9b20b4dfd7c9&pf_rd_r=H5WQHEH21HYBFK1T86ZM&psc=1&refRID=H5WQHEH21HYBFK1T86ZM

Then a few bits of heat proof cable, some protective braiding, a fuse carrier and some crimp connectors all for about a tenner. So I had my kit for about £60.

45F089C0-0BEB-45DD-BA6A-4C254148B401.thumb.jpeg.851730400379a8b1d486d109e8e2f73f.jpeg

5F4DD12B-4C07-40A4-B35E-FC6BB774905D.thumb.jpeg.9dd47e33573633fd4528641df48039e7.jpeg

Next step was finding a route from the battery compartment to where I’m mounting the Magcode in the diffuser at the left rear of the car.

On the S1 Evora there is no vent under the carpet like Chad has on his later model, but the battery vent pipe goes through a grommet and pre-drilled hole into the left rear wheel arch, it then dangles down into fresh air near the ARB and diffuser assembly.

0C7A15D9-DC2A-4EA7-80E7-D84D88A79842.thumb.jpeg.178c513d14613b5ab0c84d40131d88fb.jpeg

AC2BC298-BB47-44B4-9E80-A97C73452899.thumb.jpeg.1be0db0f540a390a8d0ec335d9608810.jpeg

Perfect, I can use this route. I considered just removing the vent pipe to make way for my cabling, as I always thought vent pipes under a ventilated bonnet i.e. on a front engined car were a waste of time. But in an enclosed compartment in the boot of the Evora I think it’s pretty important to allow hydrogen to escape. My car didn’t have it’s vent pipe connected as the little vent elbow was missing (previous owner🙄), so I got a new elbow and put that right👍🏼.

I decided to drill the hole for the Magcode in the aluminium diffuser just to the left of the exhaust hanger mounting bracket. It’s shielded from the heat of the exhaust here and easily accessible to hook up to my solar panel charger.

So the diffuser came off to make drilling easier and safer. I clamped a block of wood to it to support drilling the hole and stop the aluminium flexing or getting damaged when the hole saw breaks through. Here I am at the point of no return with a 29mm hole saw...measure twice cut once!🙂

9D918803-DB96-4209-BAA5-5AC055E66C4F.thumb.jpeg.29711d1a31af35526ba3ff7ad8eca57c.jpeg

spacer.png

Edited by Bulletmagnet

I installed the Magcode with about a foot of spare cable. This allows the diffuser to be dropped and the connectors easily removed (just got to remember to tell that to any mechanics working on the car in future). It’s then routed up through a hole in the chassis structure, where the slack foot of cable neatly stows, then up into the left rear wheel arch.

I protected the cables with the braiding and put some heat shrink sleeves on the ends to neaten it up.
22C34724-A7C6-427B-BD2F-D12E5E11BD3B.thumb.jpeg.03c0bedbafe9a754f8a60c8d3f4fe6f5.jpeg

A07C9AFE-339E-4356-AD5A-FBBDD3B48505.thumb.jpeg.76cc873918553819939990b39f763aca.jpeg

Then in through the grommet to the battery compartment where I connected my fuse carrier and hooked it all up to the battery. No need for the braiding in here...I couldn’t get it through the grommet anyway.

83045958-6406-4DB4-8225-797C7222F136.thumb.jpeg.747ec54e46488af7a64ec61f0ecd8e95.jpeg

So this how it looks with the diffuser back in place:

3387E139-44A6-40D2-8E4A-5447B7C2C195.thumb.jpeg.b9f013c3024d7c27e4ef9c7d994d9d85.jpeg

And here it is with the cable from my solar charger connected:

DD36AADA-49D5-4441-BCA7-E4AAD3C88F38.thumb.jpeg.9a046c5acdeb16b4845a39309ebb5076.jpeg

The great thing about this connector is the simplicity of it. It only lines up in one place so you can’t do it wrong, which is great as you can pop it on without having to get down on your hands and knees...AND the magnet actually switches it on inside the plug so it’s essentially dead when disconnected.👍🏼

Next post will be some solar panel fun, which hopefully will be useful for anyone away from the mains like me...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any tips or mods for someone like me running a lithium battery in a 410? Would I have to step the power up to mains and then plug a Lithium compatible charger into it? 

Should just be able to use a different charge controller suitable for lithium batteries. 

eg this one might be suitable:

https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/296-High-efficiency-10A-MPPT-solar-charge-controller-for-solar-panels-up-to-130W-12V--260W-24V-up-to-100V.html

On 10/05/2020 at 12:07, MJ said:

Any tips or mods for someone like me running a lithium battery in a 410? Would I have to step the power up to mains and then plug a Lithium compatible charger into it? 

I can’t advise personally as I’m no expert, but give the chaps at Photonic Universe a bell...they were friendly and knowledgeable, so should be able to help. Happy customer here 👍

• 2 years later...
On 04/01/2020 at 17:17, Bulletmagnet said:

So my Evora has a flat battery.
My fault (not driven it enough). It’s parked in a garage with no mains supply, (I am looking into a solar panel for the roof but haven’t got one yet...tsk.gif ).
No problem, I’ll just get the boot open and put my boost pack on it.up.gif 

It is parked in my garage nose first, tight up against the left wall so I can swing the drivers door open.
So I sent my skinny son down the left hand side of the car to the only keyhole on the car...he could get the door open 3”, so we fashioned a hook on the end of an extendable ruler and he reached inside the car to pull the drivers door handle. Great! We’re in!

Took the back seat cushion up and pulled the emergency boot release cable. It came out of it’s sheath about 4” and then no further movement. I read online that you have to pull hard at 90 deg to the car i.e. across the car, but this was absolutely solid at it’s full extension and felt like I was going to break something. I could push the cable back in it’s sheath and back out and hear something moving in the latch of the boot. But this cable is clearly not connected to anything in the boot, so I’m glad I didn’t force it anymore.no.gif 

Right, I’ll have to charge it through a cigarette lighter socket. Handbook says that the cabin ones are active with the ignition in position 1 & 2, great!
Got on amazon and ordered a cigarette lighter adaptor for my Ctek battery charger.
Two days later, fired up my petrol generator at the garage, plugged the Ctek in with ignition at 1....nothing, no charge being delivered, nothing with ignition at 2.
Tried plugging the Ctek into my son’s Fiesta cigarette socket and it works fine. So there is nothing wrong with the generator, Ctek or adaptor cables etc.
My guess is the battery is soooo flat that the Ctek can’t even “see” it so won’t start charging.wall.gif 

This story took a week to unfold...blink.gif 

So watt now TLF? I am currently sat at ohm grumpy and just want to go for a drivebrum.gif I’m resisting the urge to smash something into the ground. I need a boost to my morale to liven things up! 
How do I get in my boot?!

Hi Bulletmagnet, did you find a solution to opening your boot, I have just gone through the exact same problems, looks like the previous owner stuffed up the release cable..any help will be appreciated mark

@BulletmagnetGreat work with the magcode connector. I had been thinking it would be nice to have the charging connector outside the car but had no clue on a good solution for that. 

I think I will steal your ideas and do something similar. I can’t find the connector on Amazon anymore but seems available on eBay for about £60 for both sides. 

how long did it take to install the leads? I’m guessing you had to have the back of the car up on ramps to drop the diffuser?

On 07/08/2022 at 14:20, mark one said:

Hi Bulletmagnet, did you find a solution to opening your boot, I have just gone through the exact same problems, looks like the previous owner stuffed up the release cable..any help will be appreciated mark

Yep, just read further on Mark, sorry it’s a bit long winded👍🏼

On 10/08/2022 at 07:46, hamza said:

@BulletmagnetGreat work with the magcode connector. I had been thinking it would be nice to have the charging connector outside the car but had no clue on a good solution for that. 

I think I will steal your ideas and do something similar. I can’t find the connector on Amazon anymore but seems available on eBay for about £60 for both sides. 

how long did it take to install the leads? I’m guessing you had to have the back of the car up on ramps to drop the diffuser?

Hey hamza,

Yeah the magcode is a great solution, however my first one got water in it and failed. Think I may have been a bit enthusiastic with a jet washer in that area…lesson learned.

I bought a new one, stripped it apart and then rebuilt it with a silicone adhesive smeared around any possible water ingress points…all good now.👍🏼

It was about an hours work to feed the cable through to the battery and cable tie it all neatly. Yeah ramps will help access, but you can actually reach everything you need with the car on the ground.

Glad this thread is still helping people😀

• Like 1

• 3 months later...