IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Neal H said:

Does anyone still believe that Brexit is going to actually happen?

No, I do not believe it will happen. Heaven knows what the outcome will be.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I’m still wondering how Corbyn believes he can negotiate a better deal, should Labour win a general election, when the EU are insistent that the current deal is the only deal on the table and they will not renegotiate.

Is he going to offer more than the £39 billion to open up new negotiations :2guns:

If so then I’m sure many will be against it,. If not and the EU agree to renegotiate then the EU by default will be guilty of interfering in U.K. politics, something which the EU charter prevents.

Then we have MPs wanting to take control of the whole brexit business. The only thing that Parliament has managed to achieve so far is to put the country into a complete fcuking mess :angry:

Edit: Just seen Corbyn said on the Andrew Marr show that “the EU is well known to be flexible”

Where the hell has he been over the past 18months when they have proven to be very inflexible

the EU are

I suppose he thinks that by calling for, and winning, a general election he will be able to defer article 50.  Then we'll have another right clusterfcuk as Labour in power rips itself to pieces.

We should have been clear from day 1. The people have spoken we are leaving, deal or no deal but we'd prefer a deal as it would be best for all concerned.

But no, straight away we had a campaign to derail us leaving and it looks like it has finally been successful. In my view the next thing that should happen is for laws to be looked at very carefully to see if Mr. Bercow has breached any.

I do not think I will ever trust a politician from any party or of any persuasion again. Corbyn will be a complete disaster in power, but I suppose the upside is with no Brexit I can just go and fcuk off and leave and go buy a house in France. Better weather, great bread and butter, super cheap wine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

46 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I can just go and fcuk off and leave and go buy a house in France. Better weather, great bread and butter, super cheap wine.

let me know when you come we will share a roadtrip 😀and it will be a good opportunity for me to improve my english. 😭🏋️‍♀️

I can't give my full opinion about the Brexit on a public forum. Quite complicated today, specifically in France, to have a different point of view than the mainstream ideology. I will just say that I don't think that Brexit is so important. Nothing will happens if Brexit is confirmed. Indeed, Euro zone is dead from the day one. So Brexit is a detail regarding the tragedy coming, for you, for me, for us...

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Neal H said:

Does anyone still believe that Brexit is going to actually happen?

No. I've been of the view for some time (including much earlier in this thread) that Brexit will go away. Unfortunately its going to be a long road to get there though. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

This is going over old ground, I think this stat first surfaced during the referendum debate, but i find this  very interesting in the context of the 'take back control' moto

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix.

In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%.

Or in other words, the UK would pas 98% of EU legislation whether in or out. Only under a brexit agreement it will have no input, no ability to influence, and no veto. 

Mental. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

No, I do not believe it will happen. Heaven knows what the outcome will be.

Looks like May agrees this morning. So the EU will have effectively won. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

10 hours ago, JG220 said:

This is going over old ground, I think this stat first surfaced during the referendum debate, but i find this  very interesting in the context of the 'take back control' moto

Or in other words, the UK would pas 98% of EU legislation whether in or out. Only under a brexit agreement it will have no input, no ability to influence, and no veto. 

Mental. 

Not really when you consider that 98% of the laws passed are of little consequence to the average citizen, whether they are passed in the UK Parliament or the European one. I think you are missing the point re taking back control and focusing on the cliche headline.  However, I guess we can and do put a spin on everything to suit our own agenda, I suppose that's just being human. What you fail to look at is not how many we said yes to, but to how many we said yes to ONLY after significant push back and use of the veto to get the legislation to the point where it was reasonable and we were able to say yes.

The one thing many European governments and citizens fear about the UK leaving is that they see a significant, counterbalance to the more extreme thinking of the collective EU leaving. The UK was, indeed is, widely regarded as a calming voice of reason and rationality in the EU and as a result many countries are very sad to us go as they fear the more extreme thinking that is prevalent in the unelected parts of the EU will gather momentum.

However, back to your Daily Sun/Star headline - and no, it's not mental at all that we would want to have more control outside of the Uk, in my very humble opinion.

• Love 1

The small print.

To add to Buddy's post above, I've always been a Conservative voter but if Labour had a moderate leader right now (like say David Milliband!) I would seriously consider them. But Corbyn/McDonnel/Abbot etc - never. I would be forced to vote Conservative just to try and keep them out.

Re Brexit, Ive always been in the fence, can see both sides of the argument, but the way parliament as a whole has behaved is shocking and pathetic IMO.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The political hierarchy of this country is in for a huge shock come the next general election. 

The popular support of both main parties have been shit upon from a great height.

These are my personal views and may not be correct. I feel that a huge majority of Labour voters, (I'd think 75%), the old stool and Northern core would be those strongly in favour of leaving the EU. The so called people's party have shown no regard for those people it was supposed to represent, instead, and as usual, has been hell bent on opposing and disrupting everything the other party does rather than thinking about the consequences. They will have disillusioned and lost a massive chunk of their support. 

Again similarly, the Conservative party brought about a referendum they were absolutely sure would end in a remain vote, against the will of its core support but the shit hit the fan, they, in trying to save face have hit the self destruct button by trying to leave without wanting too. And they too now face a huge loss of support, me included.

Does anybody fancy Vincent Cable for PM,  I don't think so

So bring on Lord Bath and the monster raving loony party. Or anyone else for that matter, it's up for grabs...

• Like 2

is there a minimum turnout % below which any result is invalid?

I can simply see the whole thing being ignored - if they can't respect democracy then fuck em.

Low turn out usually favours a Labour win (surprise surprise). Like you Steve, I can't stomach the concept of a Corbyn Govt (or any far left leaning biased Govt) but the Tories have really done it for me now.

If Churchill came back, I might vote for him :P

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

42 minutes ago, duncx said:

To add to Buddy's post above, I've always been a Conservative voter but if Labour had a moderate leader right now (like say David Milliband!) I would seriously consider them. But Corbyn/McDonnel/Abbot etc - never. I would be forced to vote Conservative just to try and keep them out.

Re Brexit, Ive always been in the fence, can see both sides of the argument, but the way parliament as a whole has behaved is shocking and pathetic IMO.

Its a shame that Chuka Umunna never stood for the Labour leadership, probably not everyone’s cup of tea with his Brexit views, but would have made a great Opposition leader and in my opinion a great PM

• Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Does anyone know how this matches up against constituencies across the UK?

Constituency wise it was something like 80% to leave. Remember UK citizens living outside the UK also had the vote (Gibraltar posted over 80% to remain), most of Scotland London and very few other constituencies, the rest were Leave, if this had been conducted on the constituency basis the majority would have been huge.

I am in Thailand at the moment, have an apartment here, and they have a great solution whenever governments stop doing what the people want and become self-serving and corrupt, they have a military coup. So all the politicians get kicked out and a couple of years later they hold elections again for a new lot.

We should adopt this method, it seems to work quite well. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, duncx said:

I'm with you there @duncx, David Milliband I could vote for and labour would win me back,  but only if he committed to NOT have his brother Grommit anywhere near the Cabinet.

• Like 1

The small print.

I can't believe people are saying they won't vote again if this all turns to crap! Surely if you are for Brexit the only way to get your message across is UKIP. Once they got in first thing to do would be leave and then the other parties can go whistle. I know, I don't want to vote for them particularly either but it would get your point across.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer