Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Classic Stereo head unit options - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Classic Stereo head unit options

910Esprit

I'm thinking about updating my existing head unit (I dont have a separate amp).   I'm thinking about something about something that looks '1980s'  but has modern connectivity eg Bluetooth, USB and Aux input.    Has anyone got any recomendations that wont break the bank..?    

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Harry Metcalfe has one of those new “old” style blaupunkt stereos in his esprit. He talked about it in his cortina trip video iirc. 

• Like 1

Ad initium

13 minutes ago, Gis said:

Harry Metcalfe has one of those new “old” style blaupunkt stereos in his esprit. He talked about it in his cortina trip video iirc. 

A great bit of kit, but also a great sum of money ahaha!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaupunkt-Youngtimer-Bluetooth-VarioColor-illumination/dp/B07XVMBKW4

• Like 1

That Bluapunkt looks fantastic!  I might even have bought that if I hadn't got the Pioneer DEH80PRS; which is lovely and doesn't jar in the cabin, but it just doesn't have the heft and quality feel of those 80s and 90s units.  I honestly would pay more to get rid of shiny plastic.

I kept the Alpine tape deck which came out of my car when I got it in 2012; quite collectible now it seems.

ICE is important to me.

https://www.vintagecarradio.com/vintage-radios/esprit there are quite a lot of “vintage” options out there but they tend to carry a certain price tag. When is swopped to the Panasonic roof stereo on my car I removed my fairly new 

419EdtaYDyL._SX180_.jpg

I still have that one but obviously no intention to go back to it. The pioneer is modern but kind of fits the esprit in my view. @910EspritYou can have it if you want. Let me know.

Ad initium

• 2 weeks later...

Well its not exactly a Bluespot, but it does have a tuner, an 80's look, with every connection method/interface I can use.   For the £30 paid, I cant expect too much.   If its useless, I'll put it in the shopping car.

radjpg.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's what it looks like in my 112k unrestored interior...

The Good:

• Sound quality is as good as the Pioneer unit it replaces
  • Lots of input sources
  • Plays watchable videos (obviously a novelty item only...)
  • Paired easily with Bluetooth and has phone connectivity
  • The price
  • The actual quality of the facia is pretty good

The Bad:

• The 'knob' is a bit flimsy, I assume it has a plastic/nylon shaft
  • The software navigation is poor
  • Dimming the unit can be done, but not automatic or single button operation
  • Some key actions need to be done via tiny 'buttons' on touch screen - There is no way you could do these on the move without crashing the car

Overall, for the price, its very good, but could have been much better with a bit more investment.   I'll be keeping it for the time being, but would not particularly recommend 6/10

radio1.jpg

• Like 1

Looks better than most of the new stuff. I wonder how the FM reception is out in the country?

If it was an Android OS, I'd try it just to see if I could get some gauge apps to display on the screen! 

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an Esprit and went looking for options for nav, and found this thread, although it's a couple of years old.

How is it? The screen seems to be very small. Are there any other options? Thanks. 

Hate to say I got one of these mostly on appearances, as my last CD unit was a fugly, tiny-buttoned mess and I didn't want to stow CD's in the car anyway.  No nav on this one, just a basic MP3 player running on Win CE I think.  Like most aftermarket stuff, FM reception in the woods is limited.

Original poster here - Still works fine and I was listening to it just today.   Preference is to stream from my android phone via Bluetooth.  Like I said in my previous post - excellent value for money, but I would have been happy to pay twice the price if the quality was improved accordingly.

I've got an older version of this Pioneer DEH-S420BT 1-DIN CD Tuner with Bluetooth, USB, Spotify, Pioneer Smart Sync App and compatible with Apple and Android devices. : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo in both my Excel & my Esprit - and use a small USB stick that hardly sticks out for music. Don't bother with the radio - except for traffic.

For nav, mount on the quarter light

• Like 1

I have one of these; an Alpine IDA X001

The reason I love it is; the retro clock face and it uses my vintage iPod via a hidden USB cable behind the seat, so it is contributing to reduced carbon emissions by up-cycling electronics !

I have the Bluetooth module so I use my phone for satnav. And it wedges just fine in the little cubby hole so I don’t even need a phone mount.

https://ibb.co/PcKVFqf
https://ibb.co/h74ZDwN

Edited by Laika
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a period looking but modern unit for an S1? I've seen a couple of possibilities, but dimensions seem too wide for the S1's recess?

I have a working period MW/LW unit but not many station options with that now!

5 minutes ago, obi-nu said:

Any recommendations for a period looking but modern unit for an S1? I've seen a couple of possibilities, but dimensions seem too wide for the S1's recess?

I have a working period MW/LW unit but not many station options with that now!

You'll struggle, as the earlier console isn't quite a DIN size. My advice would be if you have a period unit already would be to get it modified. Prices of working period correct radio/cassette units have been increasing steadily since 2016, and coming to market less frequently. The number of decent UK models in the latter half of the 1970's was limited to a few brands. The Phillips model in the S1 was particularly poor quality comparatively, hence it's rarity now, but I expect few modern owners use them in anger.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it took a while but I finally got a 1997 Esprit V8. Now that I have the car, I see the issue is there's just a stereo slot and the A/C controls, etc. are immediately below. It looks like it would be a lot of work to install even a small nav unit there. Curious what others have done. Pics would be appreciated. Thank you!

If you want a modern double din touch screen then take a look at this: http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/stereo.html

I’ve actually fitted climate control to my esprit however the stereo install is the same principle.

This unit is good value for money and it’s not very deep as there’s no cd. Has Nav, radio, camera input, Apple car play, Bluetooth etc etc. 

4B2BE974-47E8-412B-A8A7-5BF2C5204E6A.jpeg

Exactly what I was I was looking for, thank you! I've been so spoiled with modern cars with nav and back up cameras, etc. And I didn't want to mount something ugly on top of the dash.

• 3 weeks later...

It was not done by Lotus until later, but on my S1, I installed a Panasonic cockpit radio (mine is just a 310). Of course, it isn’t modern but to me it is very cool

DE2D5CC8-A5C8-4528-849E-ACD6DF13F826.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA