Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill - Page 4 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill

Bibs

4 minutes ago, cobwatch said:

I wonder if Lotus may be a little frustrated, pipped to the post here...

They've faffed about and taking too long. Only themselves to blame.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I agree, the cars have been in gestation for long enough. Now they will look reactive instead of proactive, but it is not just McLaren, it is also Maserati and soon Ferrari. They are all coming down with V6 twin turbo and hybrid. if Type 131 is indeed 2 cars a 4cyl and a V6. I'm afraid the V6 has been upstaged already. The fun thing is that JMG wanted that 3.0L V6 twinturbo supercar out in 2019. By that point they had been working on it  for almost 3 years.  They were really happy with the design. Geely was bringing the parts bin, the change in leadership and the strategy review delayed things.

Still Lotus needs to make a splash in terms of image but also volume and create a strong differentiator on price point, so a playful 3 or 4cyl hybrid, based on VVA+,  should be able to top the balance under 1300kg if they optimize things. Power is in my mind a non issue whether they fit it with 300 or 400bhp is kind of besides the point. The car should be about build quality, easy of use and playfulness For The Driver. The Geely/Volvo element should make warranty a non issue.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
On 15/02/2021 at 15:59, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Cool. I reckon they’re going to upsell you. I can’t imagine they will want chassis number one to be poverty spec!

I hope they don't do the same "Launch Edition" approach as done for the Evora.  Whilst it's nice to have a fully loaded car, it meant all the early batch were very top end price and I had to give up my slot for #12.

I've heard the Type 131 will be V6 first, then 4 cylinder, so at launch it's likely to be the higher end of the price range anyway.

On 15/02/2021 at 18:17, NedaSay said:

Uh the AMG 4 cyl is probably out of the equation as the deal between Geely and Daimler was signed way after the development team froze the spec. Beside Volvo has a very potent 4cyl that does fit the need for a lightweight mild hybrid (48v battery) sport cars and also a PHEV (the SUV), and has it come from within the group there is no license fee to pay and  dealership staff can easily be trained to service it.

I'm with you on this.  Would make more sense for Lotus to use an engine from the Geely family and, with an eye to the future, have something with a hybrid and/or EV option.

On 13/02/2021 at 20:07, Karl M Roberts said:

I have got a lotus 131 on order. I am told it looks very much like 130. Should be a good looking car. Also, possible launch 8th to 11th July at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

@Karl M Roberts how have you managed to order and via which dealer?  I've tried to put a deposit down but was told they aren't been accepted yet.  So I've lodged a formal "expression of interest" so I'm in the line when deposits can be taken.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

I've heard the Type 131 will be V6 first, then 4 cylinder, so at launch it's likely to be the higher end of the price range anyway.

Seems as if some info has come out from somewhere, has there been any thoughts of performance/ economy (if relevant..)  and cost.

23 hours ago, TomE said:

I hope they don't do the same "Launch Edition" approach as done for the Evora.  Whilst it's nice to have a fully loaded car, it meant all the early batch were very top end price and I had to give up my slot for #12.

I'm with you on this.  Would make more sense for Lotus to use an engine from the Geely family and, with an eye to the future, have something with a hybrid and/or EV option.

@Karl M Roberts how have you managed to order and via which dealer?  I've tried to put a deposit down but was told they aren't been accepted yet.  So I've lodged a formal "expression of interest" so I'm in the line when deposits can be taken.

Hi, I expressed an interest appropriately 18 months ago. I was asked to pay and paid the deposit 30th January 2021.

On 22/01/2021 at 11:12, duncx said:

Well, since you ask......

Elise, Exige, Evora finished this year with some very tasty final editions due shortly and made in limited numbers (of course). Be quick if you want one, end of an era for sure :(

This also what I got from "good sources" last year. But maybe the new strategy with Alpine and full electric cars will change that.

On 13/02/2021 at 14:07, Karl M Roberts said:

I have got a lotus 131 on order. I am told it looks very much like 130. Should be a good looking car. Also, possible launch 8th to 11th July at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

An order or a cash deposit on some fluffy tales like the rest of us?  They've had my money for over year now.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 20:17, Karl M Roberts said:

Hi, Lotus Silverstone, they are brilliant and very knowledgeable and helpful. I fully recommend them. Yours, Karl

Yes the sales there are very good I understand. Should be a very good car, I’ll be very disappointed if not but no reason given the extra time and resources they have now for it to be anything other that something we hope for.

Trevor.

• Like 2

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM
40 minutes ago, Karl M Roberts said:

Hi guys, well 19 weeks today, the Lotus 131 will be launched at Goodwood. 

... and I'll be there!  Super excited! :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, TomE said:

Hi guys, well 19 weeks today, the Lotus 131 will be launched at Goodwood.

If this is confirmed than there will be an extra incentive for loads of us to go this year. I cannot imagine the wife would like to spend the day driving there, looking round and driving back though.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, Techyd said:

I'm assuming that's the festival of speed?  I might book a ticket !

They're selling out fast!  Thursday is manufacturers day, with fewer of the usual cars doing runs up the hill but more new/recent launches.  With so many motor shows cancelled I'm expecting to see several launches being done there.  Lotus will be there across Fri to Sun too, but the launch itself will be on the Thu. 

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/festival-of-speed/programme/

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Techyd I've just been advised by Goodwood that extra FOS tickets and packages will go on sale at 12:00 tomorrow, including for Saturday which was sold out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...