Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 18 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

Ah, i thought people were resorting to that given the toilet roll shortage.

18 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Is it like peanut butter when you spread it on toast?

Ah, I thought people were resorting to cat litter in the absence of toilet paper.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Sat watching Boris now. 

I am more and more of the feeling that this is more about controlling the public at large than anything else. No more Hong Kong protests, none in Paris, Greece, no climate change demos. Individuals to be slumped into debt - and we all know when folks are scared and in debt they do as they are told by the authorities.

never been a tin foil hat wearer before - but this is just getting way way out of hand now. If this had been Ebola - I’d say the approach was right....but it’s not

• Sad 1

Only here once

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, gregs24 said:

This isn't Barry bashing, it applies to any of the internet warriors here and elsewhere who have nothing to lose from exclaiming opinions based on nothing but fresh air. As the virologist on Jeremy Vine said a few weeks ago, ' your whole show is based on the uninformed opinions of people who don't know what they are talking about' !

Not taken in that way at all chap. It’s awful for those affected. But and it’s a big but - people die everyday - even I shall do it some time. Folks dies of seasonal flu even though we immunise against. In time the facts of the matter will come out.  If this had been a contagion with fatalities like Ebola then I would understand. Had this outbreak occurred before the internet and information generation it’s pretty unlikely it would have made the news until it was over.

lets hope we all come out the other side of this alive 🙏

@march look after yourself chap and get well soon

• Like 1

Only here once

5 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Corona Virus: winners?

I have been asking myself the same question. Much like Barry. It seems some out there are deliberately pushing the right buttons to make people panic. Paris saw one more protest I think, but mainly things have calmed. We even got a new government (for all intents and purposes anyway), after only 15 months. No one saw that coming, it would have never happened if the public still voiced their opinions.

So who benefits from all this? I don't deny the need for measures, but what I'm seeing is all but effective, except in creating confusion and panic. And crippling the economy, a bill we'll all be expected to pick up in a couple of months. I don't see much being done to actually protect or help those most vulnerable.

And just to add, while I do think there is little risk for me personally, at the same time I do realize about all my relatives and loved ones could be considered vulnerable because of age, heart disease etc. So I don't just take this lightly.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

"It takes 0.27 seconds to make a roll of loo roll. That's 2,220 rolls in 10 minutes.

Khurram Iqbal, who runs the toilet paper factory Nova Tissue in Oldham, and his team make a quarter of a million rolls every single day - so he has absolutely no idea why people are concerned about a shortage.

And his factory, which has become a 24/7 operation and taken on new staff to deal with coronavirus COVID-19 panic-buying, is just a drop in the ocean, making less than 1 per cent of the UK's toilet roll.

He told Mirror Online there is absolutely no need for anyone to be concerned and has urged people to stop clearing the supermarket shelves."

In other news, the CDC estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season (2019), with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus. 

That's US figures only. Way more than Covid19. And yet no one panic buys when the flu bug comes out. Nuts. Just nuts!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, march said:

Well it appears we may have it - just heard a Doctor describe the symptoms and it matches ours 100% - not quite a cold and not quite flu. Carina is suffering a lot more than me, but in reality for us it has not been much more than a very bad cold. Living out in the sticks with lots of land around us and being miserable anti-social buggers 🙂 all these townies reactions have all come as a bit of surprise to us - Is it really that bad out there?

Fortunately we only ever buy in bulk as we hate shopping and are miles from any major shops so we are OK for food for a couple of weeks (standard practice for us) so should be clear of anything before we have to go into a shop again.

On the plus side we have discovered there is a great community here, people offering to go shopping for others, child minders offering help to NHS/Police staff, free deliveries from corner shops, and many more examples - and best of all we apparently have a micro brewery in the valley (who'd have thought) as well as a cake baker both offering free delivery - we will definitely be trying these services 😃. This country can be bloody good sometimes and hopefully people won't forget this once this is all over.

Anyway farmers will never stop - there will always be animals to feed, fields to tend, car projects to work on so keeping busy.

Please keep the humour coming - however politically incorrect as it's always good to laugh.

Blimey - hope you both get well soon 👍

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Same issue with eggs. Can’t get them in any local shops round here @C8RKH.

however within 10 minutes of my home address I’ve wired sheds which house over 100k of laying hens - that’s about 92k eggs a day - so absolutely no shortage in the supply chain whatsoever. I’ve brought home several piles for folks round here who are struggling to get them

• Like 2

Only here once

1 hour ago, march said:

Well it appears we may have it - just heard a Doctor describe the symptoms and it matches ours 100% - not quite a cold and not quite flu. Carina is suffering a lot more than me, but in reality for us it has not been much more than a very bad cold. Living out in the sticks with lots of land around us and being miserable anti-social buggers 🙂 all these townies reactions have all come as a bit of surprise to us - Is it really that bad out there?

Fortunately we only ever buy in bulk as we hate shopping and are miles from any major shops so we are OK for food for a couple of weeks (standard practice for us) so should be clear of anything before we have to go into a shop again.

On the plus side we have discovered there is a great community here, people offering to go shopping for others, child minders offering help to NHS/Police staff, free deliveries from corner shops, and many more examples - and best of all we apparently have a micro brewery in the valley (who'd have thought) as well as a cake baker both offering free delivery - we will definitely be trying these services 😃. This country can be bloody good sometimes and hopefully people won't forget this once this is all over.

Anyway farmers will never stop - there will always be animals to feed, fields to tend, car projects to work on so keeping busy.

Please keep the humour coming - however politically incorrect as it's always good to laugh.

Just in case you don’t make it, can I have your tractor instead of the V8?

Thanks.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Over 1,000 a month in the UK. 

Then that underlines my thought process. Right or wrong only time will tell.

I’ve seen a post by a 64 year old who’s been on Facebook saying he’d rather take his chances than lumber the country with mass unemployment, huge debt and chaos.

• Like 1

Only here once

Hmmm 🤔 whist I can appreciate the comparisons with other fatal diseases, the 1st confirmed Death by CV was on 9 January 2020 ; and as of the 18 March there's been 8,917 deaths - so say approximately 3,000 per month.

Most experts seem to think that around 70-80% of the population will end up with it - and hence there is likely to be a significant increase in the numbers of deaths, probably over a comparatively short time - even is he mortality rate remains at 3.4% (which I believe has recently risen from about 2.3%) whereas 'normal flu' the rate is between 0.1 to 0.2%.

So although I don't want to put a 'downer' on things - Coronal Virus is a significantly more serious problem than Flu.

Even if other diseases are as fatal, that in itself doesn't mean that the risks associated with CV should be downplayed and/or ignored. Like most the people on here my elderly parents seem to be taking a 'we got through the Blitz' attitude which is fine in some ways - but ultimately may mean that they put both themselves, and others, at a greater risk than need be.

So whilst I agree that Panic is bad, and can in itself cause problems, so too can a disregard of the risks and dangers.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

Hmmm 🤔 whist I can appreciate the comparisons with other fatal diseases, the 1st confirmed Death by CV was on 9 January 2020 ; and as of the 18 March there's been 8,917 deaths - so say approximately 3,000 per month.

Yes but that’s a worldwide figure out of a huge number of people. Still dwarfed by malaria and other such diseases 

Only here once

I really don't believe the government or any other is in the business of putting the frighteners into the public at large and causing all the chaos and worry on this scale. It certainly dosent help the situation, so my view is that all these measures are not being introduced lightly and we should take heed.

• Like 2