Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 27 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

It's more historical. In the past, more kids died than lived to adult hood  The side/ force with the highest numbers won as you had a greater population farming, mining etc and in the army. Combat was to hand so numbers won.

Now, there are just too many people and future wars will be about attacking and stopping infrastructure like internet, water works, power etc. Actual physical fighting is on the decline. So, you need less people to win and as we are seeing now having more people creates its own issues during crisis/war. So, we need to control numbers. Quite simple really and with immediate effect families should be limited to one or at max 2 kids. Yup, won't be popular...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Beautiful today where I live in the middle of Scottish nowhere. Great to sit out and enjoy a cuppa with the sun warming my face and body. Superb!  Took advantage of the lovely day to start clearing the crap from the garage. Self isolation does have its benefits :) :) :)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Interesting. 

"Deputy Chief Medical Officer for England Dr Jenny Harries also warns against a "direct comparison" between virus case rates in Italy and the UK, saying this should be done with "caution".

She says that the case fatality rate is around 10% in Italy, as opposed to 4% in the UK - but it depends how cases are counted.

She says there are differences in testing, with more serious cases being tested in the UK, for example.

She adds that they feel the eventual mortality rate for the virus will be around 1%"

The small print.

26 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Beautiful today where I live in the middle of Scottish nowhere. Great to sit out and enjoy a cuppa with the sun warming my face and body. Superb!  Took advantage of the lovely day to start clearing the crap from the garage. Self isolation does have its benefits :) :) :)

Trouble is lots of people have been out and about today like they are on holiday,the same happened in France and Italy and after extra warnings they went on lock down same could happen here unless people listen to what they are being told.

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

That rate for Italy as compared to other countries has puzzled me for a while. I get that Italy are reporting deaths where the patient has CV,  irrespective of the exact cause of death, e.g. if a patient had a heart attack which wasn't brought on by CV, but the person had CV, Ital seem to include it. I see how that pushes the mortality rate up. In the UK we count it differently, but we (UK) are also not testing for CV anywhere near as freely so I'd have expected us to have a higher-than reality mortality rate.  I'd expect Italy to be more effective at finding those who have the virus.

So why is Italy still 2.5 times our mortality rate despite our lack of testing?

Just now, pete said:

Trouble is lots of people have been out and about today like they are on holiday,the same happened in France and Italy and after extra warnings they went on lock down same could happen here unless people listen to what they are being told.

Sounds like it is too late and they've already got infected at the beach/welsh hills etc.

Complete and utter selfish twats have been leaving London et al in their thousands most likely taking the infection with them and well and truly spreading the love all over the country. Total twats the lot of them and about as thick as you can get.

Places like Norfolk, the Highlands and Wales were the virus hadn't really established are now full of selfish numbfooks in their holiday homes, caravans and campers. Like locusts they're clearing the local shops as they go so not only spreading the virus but also putting locals into more hard and hardship. Good job I'm not the Prime Minister as I'd seriously think about getting the army out to shoot the useless gits in the name of stopping the virus spreading. Really are some stupid people about. Good job I'm such a pacifist really!

Nice one.

The small print.

4 minutes ago, pete said:

I think my family are finally listening. Mum is 88 yrs, so high risk if she contracts it, SIL works at a school, Niece works in a respiratory ward of a hospital, Brother drives Niece to and from work. There were several things of "well, I don't think I have the virus so I'll be fine to visit Mum", they didn't seem to understand that it really need 7-14 days between last time at school/transporting Niece, before coming into contact with Mum. I get they don't want to let her feel that she's alone given Dad's passing last month, but if we don't take sufficient precautions we could be loosing both within a matter of weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andydclements said:

That rate for Italy as compared to other countries has puzzled me for a while. I get that Italy are reporting deaths where the patient has CV,  irrespective of the exact cause of death, e.g. if a patient had a heart attack which wasn't brought on by CV, but the person had CV, Ital seem to include it. I see how that pushes the mortality rate up. In the UK we count it differently, but we (UK) are also not testing for CV anywhere near as freely so I'd have expected us to have a higher-than reality mortality rate.  I'd expect Italy to be more effective at finding those who have the virus.

The problem is pretty much nowhere is the entire population being tested, so all we can do is guess at the total. In the UK, we are only testing people who are admitted to hospital (i.e. given a bed overnight) who have symptoms consistent with COVID

As to why the death rate in Italy is so high?  Could be a number of factors:

- Higher average age of population so more vulnerable people

- A culture of living as extended families; so grandma sees the grandkids all the time

- Kissing as a greeting widely practiced

etc. etc.

• Gold FFM

I just heard that some well-to-dos hired buses and went out to regional areas in Victoria and stripped those supermarkets as well. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

15 minutes ago, andydclements said:

The average age of the dead is 79.5 and 99% of them had an under lying problem. The Mediterranean diet has advantages and disadvantages

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Quite simple really and with immediate effect families should be limited to one or at max 2 kids. Yup, won't be popular...

Ive been saying this all my adult life. Bloody hypocryte though as have 3 kids :wallbash:

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

You just had to go back for one more bite of the cherry didn't you!  muhahahahaha

The small print.

The big problem as I see it is not so much people with Covid-19 dying but them taking up ICU beds preventing others with heart failure, from road accidents and other traumas, with cancer, liver failure, etc. being able to get the care they need due to the lack of staff and facilities left over.

I don't understand why people haven' got the message about keeping their distance from each other.  It's not difficult.  The news spoke to to some simpletons who were out in a busy park today and they complained that it wasn't clear enough what they could and couldn't do.  It is.  Keep 2m away from others. Wash your hands frequently.  Avoid touching your or others faces.  Simples!

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

5 hours ago, andydclements said:

I think my family are finally listening. Mum is 88 yrs, so high risk if she contracts it, SIL works at a school, Niece works in a respiratory ward of a hospital, Brother drives Niece to and from work. There were several things of "well, I don't think I have the virus so I'll be fine to visit Mum", they didn't seem to understand that it really need 7-14 days between last time at school/transporting Niece, before coming into contact with Mum. I get they don't want to let her feel that she's alone given Dad's passing last month, but if we don't take sufficient precautions we could be loosing both within a matter of weeks.

Went to sort my parents house out today, they both passed away suddenly a couple of years ago  so house is empty and I don't bump into anyone. So in one way that's a blessing as they don't have to go through this. Anyway next door neighbours both in their seventies had their kids and grand kids round! Couldn't make it up, I'll have zero empathy if they are ill or worse, some people are really not taking it serious. 

Sorry to to hear about your Dad. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Off to work shortly. It’s all solo working in remote locations for me. We have 48000 hens arriving in a couple of weeks - be very clear there is absolutely no shortage of eggs in the supply chain. Once this sheds finished - I’ve cleared my work diary. Madly enough a client from London who has a weekend house locally - txt me yesterday to as if I’ve got the sockets for his dining hall.....ummmmm sorry but that’s gonna have to wait.

stay safe folks.

• Like 2

Only here once