Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 57 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, tim_marra said:

Alternatively you do the shop while the Mrs stays home? It's not rocket science.

Simply validates what I said.  Not worth discussing with you.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

On 11/04/2020 at 19:48, andydclements said:

I seem to recall that for pizza cow's mozzarella is better than buffalo's.

Only for bland, UK palates. 

Or for the supermarkets - cow mozzarella is cheaper and has a longer shelf life. 

• Gold FFM
17 hours ago, Bibs said:

I do firmly believe that the media are behind a lot of the issues associated with this pandemic. They really just want to sensationalise every single second of it. 

DM's graph published recently showing UK daily deaths, a case in point. 

Opera Snapshot_2020-04-12_151707_www.dailymail.co.uk.png

I did see that Bibs as soon as I looked at the the data points. Ah well, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

42 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Only for bland, UK palates. 

Or for the supermarkets - cow mozzarella is cheaper and has a longer shelf life. 

But cow's mozzarella doesn't melt as easily, buffalo's makes the pizza more soggy.

So do we think that the stay at home measures are working in the UK?

I haven’t ventured more than 300 metres from my house in the past 3 weeks (all on foot). We are just coming to the end of the 4 day Bank Holiday weekend and I have been amazed by the numbers of cars passing along our road, morning, noon and night. It beggars belief that these people are all either a) going to work on a Bank Holiday (that can’t be done from home), b) key workers on Bank Holiday shifts, c) going to the supermarket or chemist (all hours of the day!), or d) dropping off groceries/prescriptions at vulnerable people. I just don’t believe many people think the rules apply to them.

Now that many of these people are effectively temporary tax payer funded civil servants for the time-being, maybe offenders should have their furlough or other benefits cancelled? See how they feel about that.

• Like 2

I try to go out each day for my daily walk for about an hour. I make sure I stick to social distancing rules (crossing the road if I meet others). I have to say that it’s VERY quiet around here so I think the lockdown rules are being well respected in my town. I do hear the boy-racers with their loud exhausts quite a lot, but I assume they’re out getting a pint of milk for their mum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

So do we think that the stay at home measures are working in the UK

For reasons to do with my wife & daughter both being assessed as 'vulnerable' I had to do a fairly long motorway run on Good Friday  (A return trip with no fuel stops, and literally no interaction with anyone)   The roads were post apocalypse empty like I've never seen them  (still suprising how many people drive in the middle lane of an empty motorway...).    Despite sticking pretty much to speed limits in my diesel saloon, I did the trip quicker than I had ever done it in the last 20 years, even when 'on it' it my Lotus, Type R etc.... 

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

still suprising how many people drive in the middle lane of an empty motorway...

It's the safest lane to travel in (if the motorway is empty) - if you have a blow out you have the largest margins should there be any forced change in direction. 🙂

Its's what the police certainly used to do. And as I have seen a blow out in front of me once before where it wiped out the car next to it it is certainly something I do (assuming the motorway is 100% clear).

Anyway back to the humour:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, march said:

It's the safest lane to travel in (if the motorway is empty) - if you have a blow out you have the largest margins should there be any forced change in direction. 🙂

Really? Yes if you veer left as you have the fist lane and hard shoulder, but if you veer right you have only one lane then the barrier then oncoming traffic. I've always thought this "excuse" for poor driving habits was lamer than a dead donkey at the grand national but it's amazing how many people roll it out when challenged... Can't understand why, after 70 years of motorways people STILL don't know how to use them properly and also, it's the mentality that means that when you get to a 2 lane motorway or dual carriageway people still "drive" in the outer lane as they don't want to be in the "slow" lane even though that is where they should be as their brain is obviously very slow!  :) :o :) :o

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

You’re safer in lane 1. In lane 2 you have lane 1 and the hard shoulder and verge to your left, but only lane 3 and then the Armco to your right. In lane 1 you have the hard shoulder and the verge to your left and then 2 lanes to the right. In the event of a blowout, you want to safely get to the hard shoulder a.s.a.p. That is more difficult from lane 2. Also a blowout in lane 2 immediately endangers adjacent cars in both lanes 1 and 3, whereas the same incident in lane 1 is not going to affect anyone on your left.

Keep left whenever possible/practical.

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight
  • Love 1

Re the supermarket thing. I'm not going to comment on peoples personal choices or circumstances, but what is not mentioned here is the workers views:

My wife and her brother both work in (different) supermarkets. My wife is high risk so has been told to stay at home for the duration, courtesy of the NHS letter. My BIL is working.

Before my wife stopped working customers were quite happily coughing and sneezing all over her, leaning on the counter fronts, helping themselves to olives etc from the open counters and generally paying no attention at all to social distancing or even common courtesy. There are significant elements of the public who are quite frankly scum, it has got massively worse in the last 5-10 years and if you work in certain industries you will see this daily. Her experience spread into the early days of social distancing and there was zero respect or consideration being shown for the workers. 

BIL is still at work. The current arrangements are in place and he still has people leaning across in front of him, reaching round him and general ignoring all the social distancing rules, even though the staff are all issued with aprons with writing on it asking people to stay 2 metres away. The issue with more than one person with a trolley, is that the second person walks off, which means that they are either taking up an extra "space" in the traffic flow system, or they are breaching the spacings in operation. So if you want to take 2 people then both need to keep one hand on the trolley at all times, otherwise you are taking up 2 places, or breaching the precautions.

......and apparently it's OK to abuse the staff when items have sold out. Apparently doing so will magically materialise new stocks, so it would seem.

Abide by the rules people. Some people will never change, but if everyone else does their bit then it will still make a big difference to the supermarket workers.

13 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Anyone else missing the Greggs bacon rolls and flat whites ?

I wasn't, but having read that I have a sudden hankering for a Starbucks Latte. :yes:

21 hours ago, Bibs said:

I do firmly believe that the media are behind a lot of the issues associated with this pandemic. They really just want to sensationalise every single second of it. 

What we really need is a (accurate!) graph showing hospital admissions, that is where we will see the early signs of change.

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Simply validates what I said.  Not worth discussing with you.

Well you did invite anyone to pick the bones out of your dilemma. So I did. Wife does the list, you do the shop.

22 hours ago, Bibs said:

Is that correct - sows the last one of 710 being higher than 917, and a lot higher than the 708?

1 hour ago, Colin P said:

There are significant elements of the public who are quite frankly scum, it has got massively worse in the last 5-10 years and if you work in certain industries you will see this daily.

It's what I call the "Eastenders effect"

People watching a complete waste of space, time and money (£80m spent on a new set by the hard up BBC 😯) programme believing that they have to act like the scum that the programme portrays

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Really? Yes if you veer left as you have the fist lane and hard shoulder, but if you veer right you have only one lane then the barrier then oncoming traffic. I've always thought this "excuse" for poor driving habits was lamer than a dead donkey at the grand national but it's amazing how many people roll it out when challenged... Can't understand why, after 70 years of motorways people STILL don't know how to use them properly and also, it's the mentality that means that when you get to a 2 lane motorway or dual carriageway people still "drive" in the outer lane as they don't want to be in the "slow" lane even though that is where they should be as their brain is obviously very slow!  :) :o :) :o

It's a "macho" thing. Not seen as cool to drive in the "slow" lane. Just like those who simply have to get into the "fast" lane within 3 seconds of joining a motorway

Brainless tw@ts the lot of them

• Like 1

At a 1.4 billion population and a 1% death rate (the experts may eventually have an accurate rate but that's the initial rate based on what China published and some other countries experienced), it would suggest around that figure (14m) so if other things came into play (such as aged population with strong belief in alternative treatment rater than ventilators, O2 saturation etc then 20m doesn't really seem a stretch.

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Real Chinese death count is apparently circa 20 million 

Wow, that is a lot. I don't think that is the official figure. What is your source? I'm not saying it's false and I wouldn't be surprised if all governments are presenting information to suit their message.

Also bear in mind the Chinese lockdown has been a lot more comprehensive than ours and it has been wonderfully described by our own correspondent in China.