Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or........... - Page 4 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or...........

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 01/04/2022 at 12:31, j141 said:

Thanks for all the useful info everyone, I am due a full set on my 410, I currently have Cup 2's all round. It looks like the consensus for fast road is PS4S as the Cups are widow makers in the cold which it is 40-50% of the year and the wear rate is awful :lol:

My only worry is the car will loose some of its handling if I switch, there must be a reason they spec'd the Cup2's? I am only fast road, no track days, what do people who have switched think?

Hi. Fairly new here but have a fair degree of experience with the Michelin tyres.

Undoubtedly moving from Cup 2 to PS4S will compromise ultimate feel and handling in optimal conditions for a Cup 2 tyre.  But then again the Cup 2 is a massive compromise for a road car in the UK.  So with the PS4S you gain so much in terms of all round usability and confidence in sub optimal weather that will allow you to enjoy your car without the teeth grinding that comes with a hardcore tyre in the wet.  

in terms of wear, the PS4S is excellent.  In a previous car I managed 2 track days, + 2 Nurburgring trips and 15,000 miles on a set.  I haven’t had Conti’s for a long time but always found them to be higher wearing.

I agree with what has been said about the sidewall rigidity in the PS4S.  They are soft and not super sharp but they are still very capable.

Important point don’t mistake PS4’s with PS4S’s [apostrophes added for emphasis].  They are completely different tyres.  I am only talking about PS4S.

• Like 1

I had PS4S all round. Now needed new tyres at the back and got the PSuperSport (as PS4S seemend not available).

While I think the PS4S are the best tyres for the Evora for road use (comfort, grip, wet, dry) I'm now with this combo:PS4S front, PSS back. Only tested it in the Blackforest over the weekend in dry condition. Grip level seems even higher than PS4S, but not the same level of comfort/sound. How they perform in the wet is to be seen..

For the few who know the difference

I’m interested to see how this develops for you. I have super sports all round but my fronts are still with good tread but badged as 2016 manufacture.  I think realistically I will be changing them sooner than the backs due to age rather than tread wear.  I’ve heard that PSS are being phased out.

My dilemma therefore is that I will end up with new front tyres which I would like to be PS4S and PSS rears - same as you.

I have not yet enough miles to really comment, but first impression is that it is not a problem to mix front and rear in this way. In your case, I would probably just go ahead and once the rear are done too, take the PS4S. 😉

I will keep the PSS for the season and will report back after more miles 😉

Still love every mile in the Evora!

For the few who know the difference

On 12/04/2022 at 22:10, RedViper said:

For Evora 400 owners I found this video very interesting. You can get the BMW * marked PS4S in lotus sizes…. If you go 245 on front instead of 235 (which lotus does on the 430 wirh same rim dimension)

seems like dream spec for a tyre to me. Let’s face it if it wasn’t for fast Cup2 arent great in wet everyone would use them. These star marked that take the PS4S closer to Cup2 dry performance but still allow car to be use in poorer conditions (more so than Cup 2 anyway) for fast road / track users seems perfect

True they are both star marked tyres as you mentionned. And the rear 285 is the BMW M3 G80 tyre. But the 245 you are mentioning is the Front axle of another BMW, the G42 M240ix. Both are excellent, but they were not developed to work together on the same car. Maybe it does work very well. Somebody should give it a try 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rallyesax said:

Be carefull on what you are buying if going full PS4S. Try to find full RT models. 

I recently tested on my 400 (in the right sizes of course) a Front RT/OE derivative (Focus ST) with a rear OE (BMW M last M3 G80). It totally ruined the handling 😂. Balance is massively understeery. Cornering forces developped by both those tires are way too different to work together properly on a mid-engine car. 

It's just a reminder as all those tyres can be bought on the internet and fill in the right specs (sizes, speed, load index, etc...) 

what is RT?

On the thread page before, XL version all around is stated as the PS4S is the most recommended choice. 

With the current situation, car parts and tyres might take more time to get back in dealers stocks. So if you find them, yes go ahead. 

Be carefull not to take the DT1 version for the front ;) (it's the Focus ST one. A modified RT. Does wonder on a focus but not with a fat rear) 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not good news for anyone in the UK wanting to run PS4S's on 18" fronts. Looks like Michelin are not supplying to the UK at the moment. That's either going to be a covid/brexit supply issue or they've decided to discontinue them I guess. Screenshot from the Michelin UK website. https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

18 inch PS4S.PNG

• Sad 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had the PS4S 18/19 on order since September, but finally changed the order for PSS * and got the set within a week. If SportContact 7 would have been available in 18", I would probably have tried them, but given general tyre availability and completely bald rear tyres, this was probably the best option. Will report back once the car is running again, in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Goodyear F1 Supersports. Lots of reviews and also friends praising them as the PS4S++ (++ meaning a bit more track focus for a bit of comfort and wet performance). 

Price per set is comparable to PS4/PS5 (not the S), and they are available in 18' and 19' for the S1 which I have. Seems like the under-the radar sweetspot.

I can provide a bit of feedback once they are mouted and tested for a bit

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Will be interesting to hear about alternative tyres. From the tyre reviews videos, it does seem that some of the other newer tyres are around as good/slightly better than the PS4S now. My only complaint with the 4S is the slight lateral movement in the tyre wall, however, that's also better for the comfort levels so, give and take! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Thanks Seb, good write-up. It's rare that someone bites the bullet and tries something different and then also comes back to tell everyone about it!

I like the sound of the F1s. I might consider them in the future (or whatever is around when I need new tyres!) I am tempted to get a bit more sporty feel out of the next set!