Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front axle lifter for Esprits - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Front axle lifter for Esprits

hspeck

On 12/03/2021 at 17:05, andydclements said:

The square shims are not shown in that image, as it's of the non-adjustable type. For the adjustable system which you now have, they go one the outside of component F. On your version of "F" you will see there are solid blocks of metal near the elongated holes, the shims sit against those blocks, such that the molts holding the balljoint cannot move away from the centre of the car. The shims have different distance from hole to edge, that way the correct spacing can be achieved (which the alignment people have done) but also maintained.

I see.. I will need to send the car to the shop again once it is out from the paint shop. Thanks

On 12/03/2021 at 17:44, Chillidoggy said:

As an observation, you do not have the Lotus factory castor shims fitted either, rather a selection of washers. These washers are substituting for the factory items, and they are at least in the right place, but you have no camber adjustment plates fitted. My suspicion is that whoever did the geometry couldn't achieve the correct camber/castor setting with the plates and shims you supplied, and simply chose to leave them out, hoping nothing will move as long as the bolts were tight enough. In my view that's a cowboy job.

As I said earlier, there are several different sizes of adjustment plates available (same for castor shims).

2021-03-12_093255.jpg

Yes, I did pass them different sizes of shims that I bought from SJ. I think I have all the various sizes..

probably time to find another alignment shop..

And, my manaual does not have Section CF! in my manual there is only CD and then after that is DC ..... Can I know where to get part CF? Or is it for newer cars?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
16 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

CF is indeed for the later cars. Hopefully someone here can send you the CF information you need, I have no way of doing it selectively, and the whole document is huge.

I checked Deroure and indeed it is for the later models.. 

appreciate your kind gesture. at least I now know that I should not be looking at the original manual but one for the newer model..

I have managed to print out the page you posted, it will help in getting the alignment sorted. At least now I can buy the correct shims and plates. I think I bought the wrong ones previously! 

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

So today i send the car to check some stuffs, and i discovered that the wish bone to the ball joint area, the protruding part to hold the offset washer plates seemed to have been grinded away. 

It does seems that i will have to replace the wishbone? Or there are other alternatives? 

Any ideas?

Thanks 

IMG_20210529_133404.jpg

IMG_20210529_133414.jpg

• Gold FFM

Seems like they have used washers instead of slip plates - as such the bits that have been ground off are largely redundant.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Those protrusions are absolutely necessary to hold the offsets.  You could get someone to drop a couple of carefully-placed welds, and profile them accordingly.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Seems like they have used washers instead of slip plates - as such the bits that have been ground off are largely redundant.

Yes, they were using washers. I was told that I should be using offset plates instead. I have bought them from SJ and then i realised someone has sort of grinded away the protrusion. 

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Those protrusions are absolutely necessary to hold the offsets.  You could get someone to drop a couple of carefully-placed welds, and profile them accordingly.

I was thinking that too.. A new set cost more than £300 before shipping from SJ. Maybe I will check with the machine shops. 

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I think the solution of front ground clearance will only be solved, at least on the S3, by making the lower front spoiler retractable.

The front lower lip of the Turbo is 1.5" from being level, and the spoiler looks like it could retract, with an actuator, over the upper panel.

The plan is to increase the depth of the pan below the radiator, to be able to accept an over size radiator.

I would say that this mod might also stop the front end from floating at high speed.

The manual says that the camber is set at the factory on the Turbo, and is not adjustable, anyone know how they set it?

16 hours ago, deecee said:

The manual says that the camber is set at the factory on the Turbo, and is not adjustable, anyone know how they set it?

I think they mean that it's fixed by the chassis dimensions & wishbone dimensions as there's nothing at all to adjust :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Early cars had fixed camber in the front, later ones had slotted upper arms with under bolt plates/shims to adjust camber. One can fit an adjustable upper link to the rear.