Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which Gearbox would you choose? - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which Gearbox would you choose?

All other things being equal on the Emira which would you choose?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
20 hours ago, Nimbus-in-Notts said:

I really can’t make my mind up which way to go, love the idea of a shouty V6 but like the idea of a modern AMG engine/DCT combo.

For those of us non Lotus owners, would it be sensible to try and test drive an auto Evora first to try and get an idea of how the box and its paddles work with the V6?

I can’t see the point in test driving an A45 Merc to try the i4 as from what has been said before, the Lotus should have far better handling and dynamics and an engine tuned differently specific to the Emira, so it’s just not a fair comparison. I imagine the Evora would be like a slightly less sanitised Emira but very close…….

If you can find one then yes it would be worth test driving an auto Evora.  The problem will be finding one near you.  I see Lotus Silverstone are advertising a 2012 one, and the only other one on Pistonheads Classifieds is in Bedford.  Or post over in the Evora section and see if an owner will help you out.

As the Emira will have the same engine and auto gearbox as the Evora it will be a good approximation.  If the Evora you drive isn't a recent one then do check it has had the latest software updates, as the shift changes have been improved over time. 

Dont bother trying an S1 IPS as even with all updates you need to try a 400 auto as they are a world apart.  If you are near Cumbria you can have a run in my 400 auto which is being replaced by Emira auto

• Like 1

Looks like Rybrook Birmingham have a new auto in stock, not to far away so worth a look. They may let you give it a go?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012217299455

Wow, still new ones out there.

Is it just me or does this not make the Emira look like a stone cold bargain?

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 16:04, 697OK said:

Dont bother trying an S1 IPS as even with all updates you need to try a 400 auto as they are a world apart.  If you are near Cumbria you can have a run in my 400 auto which is being replaced by Emira auto

This .  Was always disappointed they couldn’t get same setup in the V6 Exige as IPS  on even the last cars was way behind the Evora 4xx cars. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised test driving an Evora IPS (GT410 I think).  Even interested in getting one, but not interested enough over the manual box.

For the Evora, I think the i4/DCT option will be good.  Faster than the V6, cheaper (what?) and a fantastic driver's car.  I'd want to go for it.  However, I don't want to wait for the time it takes to get to the i4 FE.  I doubt it'll actually arrive in 2022.  The V6 manual will be brilliant which is what I have plumped for, but there's a big part of me that says it's the wrong choice.  But I want it as soon as poss.  But it's the wrong choice Graham.  But I can't wait that long.  And on it goes my precious!

• Like 1

After updating to the latest software the IPS is not that bad in the S1 (S version at least). Of course I only drive in sport mode, the normal mode is only for highway crusing. I will time it next time, but it is close to 0.4sec in sport mode for up and about the same for down.

Keep in mind, that it is  o n l y  a software issue, as the hardware is exactly the same in all Evoras...
If the manual in the Emira is exactly the same as in the Evora (=not improved), I would take the v6 auto.
If they have improved the manual over the Evora, than I take the manual 😉

For the few who know the difference

On 20/10/2021 at 13:36, Graham Ridgway said:

think the i4/DCT option will be good  I'd want to go for it.  However, I don't want to wait for the time it takes to get to the i4 FE.  I doubt it'll actually arrive in 2022.  The V6 manual will be brilliant which is what I have plumped for, but there's a big part of me that says it's the wrong choice.  But I want it as soon as poss.  But it's the wrong choice Graham.  But I can't wait that long.  And on it goes my precious!

Been down the same route,  decided on i4 as voices saying “ Be patient Luke and you will feel the force” 😵💫 Older Film, just worked 😂😂

• Haha 2

I would say that Porsche is the Evil Empire, and Geely is like Jabba the Hut - big beast holding the Lotus chains....

The Dark Side is of course, an EV.  Here's the Emperor charging his Tesla:

image.jpeg.97810d2da549f6fe261d5e658a9caa5b.jpeg

Oh and to keep on topic, if my Emira was a GT/Weekend car I'd go V6 and MANUAL. 

A daily driver - then V6 auto or I4 DCT

If it was a fast toy/track focused car I'd go I4 DCT (but in reality would probably spend my money on a manual Exige).

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

New to Lotus, is the manual really bothersome to be used as daily drive?

This is going to be my weekend car when I don't need more than two seats. I do get stuck in traffic quite a bit on weekends.

What about gear ratio? Reviews on the Porsche Cayman GT4 / Spyder seems to suggest that you will only use 1st and 2nd gear if you want to stay within speed limit. How about the Lotus manual box?

1 hour ago, bbpxbbpx said:

New to Lotus, is the manual really bothersome to be used as daily drive?

This is going to be my weekend car when I don't need more than two seats. I do get stuck in traffic quite a bit on weekends.

What about gear ratio? Reviews on the Porsche Cayman GT4 / Spyder seems to suggest that you will only use 1st and 2nd gear if you want to stay within speed limit. How about the Lotus manual box?

Once moving, if you want to make really rapid progress on the road then 2nd and 3rd will give you tons of torque, lots of response, at speeds between 30 and 90 mph, and a great rifle action feel. No issues at all with the gearbox/ratios at all in those situations...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Maybe not the right comparison but my Elise gearbox/clutch set up was absolutely sweet. The only difference I noticed with the Exige models I’ve driven was a heavier clutch, wouldn’t even notice unless in constant stop start traffic. Never driven an Evora, went for an early 991S, seven speed manual, great car but absolutely terrible transmission. That’s why so many went straight for PDK. 

• 5 months later...

I currently have an auto 4 pot Jaguar F  Type which has been brilliant as a daily driver. I rarely use the paddle shift and just allow the car to make the changes which can be set to normal or dynamic mode. I have however ordered an Emira with a V6 and manual gearshift as I am about to retire and will be travelling far fewer miles. One of my best drivers cars was a manual Porsch Boxster S which allowed far more involvement and was an exhilarating ride - I hope the Emira will be the same.

• Like 1