Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira - Detailing, Ceramic Coating, PPF and Car Covers - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira - Detailing, Ceramic Coating, PPF and Car Covers

11 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Paint needs to "de-gas" after application for a "sufficient period" before PPF'ing a car.

Ah, how long?  Anyway, I will look into this about April time.

39 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The PPF can look tired after a few years.

Can that be enhanced with a higher quality PPF or is that industry standard sort of degradation?

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

10 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Can that be enhanced with a higher quality PPF or is that industry standard sort of degradation?

I think like with most things you get what you pay for re longevity, quality, but I'm not an expert to be honest

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Personally wouldn’t go full PPF, as already stated it can look a  little tired over time, much prefer to use ceramic directly onto the clear coat and just PPF protect the most exposed parts ( aka track PPF). Really don’t like the part covering of any bonnet as it shows a distinct line where the PPF stops. So just prefer to leave it out and try to keep the exposed joint stops to a minimum but definitely worth spending the additional app £2k for the protection. It makes it much easier to keep in top condition and helps when you plan to move it on. Must say though that cars in this category are definitely “ART” to be admired 😎 but not as Garage Queens. Definitely use it 😉

On 03/08/2021 at 07:56, C8RKH said:

I was being tongue in cheek at the fact that people were already discussing paint protection for Lotus' last ever ICE production car a minimum of 12 months before it was out!

As for paint shops. I must be blessed, as I have two near me, one I have used personally and they did a great job, one that many people have used and highly recommend them. To say they are all cowboys with such a broad brush is a little harsh. You may have had a bad experience or two, but really, all of them are cowboys, I think not.

So how does that work with the PPF that the factory puts on when the car leaves the factory?

Not very well if it has to come off I believe. I quoted what several detailers have told me who wont touch fresh paint. Please dont shoot the messenger..

thanks

• Like 1

Agh, obviously, having to wait a further week to have PPF/Ceramic done would be hideous.

The balance is driving the car and getting little chips. Ah, maybe worrying too much. 

I'd love to know more about the gassing off comment when the paints are water based these days (& have been for years) so no VOC's to 'gas off' and with this latest fan-dabby-dosey paint shop being built with electrostatic enhanced painting will it need such a period?

Serious question! Not doubting the comment meant in good faith or heard some time.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

It's an interesting point @Al especially given that modern PPF is "breathable" so any gases could leak out?  It is certainly something that is mentioned a lot re PPF and new paint, but maybe as you say with the move to water based paints and breathable PPF it is not now an issue.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I've just had a large scratch on my Evora front bumper fixed.  The paint shop and PPF guys wanted a week gap between painting and applying PPF.  I'm sure if they had a way of avoiding my car clogging the place up for a week they'd have done it quicker!  I don't know the reasoning but it still seems common practice.

Depending on the Emira build process you may not have to wait for a week after delivery to do PPF.  The panels are painted off the car and then assembled to the body, so I guess a few days will elapse due to the remainder of the build and inspection process.  Will be interesting to hear more about how long the start to finish build takes.

Evora early deposit holders had a tour of the factory while pre-prod and launch cars were being built and we saw a lot of the process steps.  And it's usually been possible to go and see your car mid-build.  I've already asked Lotus if we can have a similar tour for Emira deposit holders.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

I've already asked Lotus if we can have a similar tour for Emira deposit holders.

What was the response?

I hope that the changes in production don't get in the way of this in the future.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Depending on the Emira build process you may not have to wait for a week after delivery to do PPF.  The panels are painted off the car and then assembled to the body, so I guess a few days will elapse due to the remainder of the build and inspection process.  Will be interesting to hear more about how long the start to finish build takes.

This could be weeks. Pus the PDI the dealer does. Either way, from the dealer, we can safely trailor it to a PPF place.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

You pay £1500 and get to go to the Factory to pick up your car, spend half a day with the Driving Academy in their Emira's learning how to really drive it, and finish with a nice tour of the CTL and afternoon tea before you set off home in your brand new Emira.

Count me in 😁

If it includes roaring around their track then wow.

A picture with the human finished and Robot #37  - perfick.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Personally, and I may be smoking dope, but I do think this could be a nice earner for Lotus - it's not going to make a big dent in their revenue, but the earnings will come from repeat business through building brand loyalty and repeat business.

I really do think a significant number of "owners" would opt for this and by limiting it to say "Fridays" only (I believe the factory finishes early on a Friday) then you could get say 20 new owners arriving on the same day, getting to know each other etc etc.  Pretty quickly i reckon you'd have a bloody loyal "club" of owners etc etc...

Come on Lotus. You've upped your game with the Emira, now get the ownership experience right and smash Stuttgart out of the park!

I'd be interested, given that the factory is 5 miles closer to me than Stratton Motors! 🤣

I used the (now closed) factory service facilities a couple of times in past years too, when they were part of the Motorsport setup. Had an interesting chat with a Red Arrows pilot in the waiting area there once!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Dobbin145 said:

What was the response?

I hope that the changes in production don't get in the way of this in the future.

It's in discussion between dealer and factory, expecting an answer later in the month before the Emira dealer tours start.

• Like 1

Great story. The whole idea sounds like a great experience and a way to bond early with the car and the brand - especially for New to Lotus people like myself.

While your waiting for your Emira to arrive if you want to bond beforehand, would definitely suggest you invest in three days at Hethel and take the Lotus licence. Absolutely brilliant 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I made an enquiry locally for Xpel PPF on an Emira, expected to be £4k + vat for full coverage.

We have it on the Boxster and it has saved us a few times so would seriously consider on the Lotus.

I saw someone have a PPF that was actually sprayed on, much better coverage around difficult profiles and reportedly a superior finish, similar pricing and protective qualities.

Has anyone else any experiences to share?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tailslides said:

Xpel PPF on an Emira, expected to be £4k + vat for full coverage.

That's about the same as a high quality, same colour, full car respray.  Not worth it in my humble opinion. It's a car. It'll get dirty and chipped. That'll add character.

I spent £900 on Expel to get my whole front clam covered on the Evora. It's OK. But after three years and 11.5k miles, there are some small stone chip "rips" in it that haven't been able to "self heal" and generally, I'm thinking end of next year I'll take it off and possibly not replace (except the lights, they will have new film put on to protect them) as it'll start to be looking grubby.

The small print.

3 hours ago, tailslides said:

expected to be £4k + vat for full coverage

Jeeezuz.  I had no idea. That is painful. Damn.

Protecting the usual areas of front and rear-side I assume will come out around £1.5k.

I know naff about this stuff. The Abarth has a ceramic coating but no idea what it actually does :)

27 minutes ago, Evotion said:

The Abarth has a ceramic coating but no idea what it actually does :)

Stops you putting swirls on the paint when you wash it. Stops bird shit from wrecking your paint when left to bake on. It provides zero real protection for stone chips. That's it.

The small print.