Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch help - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch help

mpjg

I am looking for a bit of help with the clutch on the 1988 esprit, i have searched the forum for help but havent seen any ( probably missed it ). A few weeks ago the slave cylinder popped a seal so had to be changed.

It has been a saga trying to get everything changed over. The slave cylinder that was fitted was a totally different one ( seemed to be one off a land rover defender ) so had to get the original spec push rod which i was hoping would solve the problem.

Fitted the new master cyclinder, slave and large bore pipe and now the car doesnt want to select reverse without crunching. 

I have checked the settings on the fork adjustment and the rod on the master cyclinder to what the service manual says but stll no joy. 

Had a try again last night, thought it could maybe be not bled properly. Finally got it to work fine in reverse and then wouldnt enetertain the thought of going back into reverse.

Parts :  PNM large bore braided pipe

Willwood 0.625 master cylinder

Side mounted slave cylinder

Am i missing something obvious? 

Thanks in advance 

Marc 

Lotus esprit 1988

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
11 minutes ago, CarBuff said:

It is worth mentioning that your car has a Renault transmission, not the Citroen one fitted to North American cars.

Yeh my mistake it has the renault transmission 

Lotus esprit 1988

• Gold FFM

If your pedal is adjusted properly, it's almost certain to be air in the system.  The best way to bleed one of these is to remove it from the mounting flange and keep it vertical with bleed nipple at the top.

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

16 hours ago, Sparky said:

If your pedal is adjusted properly, it's almost certain to be air in the system.  The best way to bleed one of these is to remove it from the mounting flange and keep it vertical with bleed nipple at the top.

I will give bleeding it that way a try

Lotus esprit 1988

Alex,

You need 0.70 MC with 1,4" stroke and 0.43cuin volume. The 0.625 has only 1,25" stroke, which is not enough to disengage the clutch!  Perhaps this thread will help:  https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/s4s-clutch-adjustment.321074/

• Thanks 1

MrDangerUS

On 07/11/2021 at 14:28, MrDangerUS said:

Alex,

You need 0.70 MC with 1,4" stroke and 0.43cuin volume. The 0.625 has only 1,25" stroke, which is not enough to disengage the clutch!  Perhaps this thread will help:  https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/s4s-clutch-adjustment.321074/

That sounds like it could be the problem. Tried bleeding the clutch again last night with no joy still. Will get a 0.70 master cylinder ordered. Never thought it would be the wrong master cylinder with it being a 1988 but to be honest this car seems a mix and match of everything so doesnt suprise me totally. 

Lotus esprit 1988

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 1990 SE that has been suffering red hose syndrome so I've just got all the bits to change to braided hose. But when cold I've always thought there was possibly a bit of drag on the clutch, even with it properly adjusted and pedal as depressed as possible. But this thread has made me think. The S4 cars according to the parts lists have EXACTLY the same clutch mechanism as the SE (Clutch, bearing, arm, slave cylinder etc) with the exception of the master cylinder and pedal. The SE's master cylinder is 5/8" bore, the S4's 0.7", it's not obvious what is different about the pedal. Does anyone know if there is any reason why I can't use a 0.7" master cylinder? Will it totally screw things up? It would be nice to be able to operate the clutch with less pedal movement even if it was a bit heavier.

37 minutes ago, NG5 said:

there was possibly a bit of drag on the clutch, even with it properly adjusted and pedal as depressed as possible

Even when perfectly adjusted the Esprit clutch was always notorious for dragging requiring you to select first before whipping it back & into reverse in order to get a crunch free selection.

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

Just changed my clutch components over - same issue. Still slightly crunchy in reverse.

Remember the clutch pedal has more than 1 place you can attach the master also!

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 21:32, NG5 said:

Does anyone know if there is any reason why I can't use a 0.7" master cylinder? Will it totally screw things up?

No one?

Has nobody tried fitting a 0.7" master cylinder to an SE?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 14:03, LotuStuart said:

What fixed it in the end?

Hi, sorry i just noticed this. 

Changed the master cylinder to the  0.70 version and it worked first time. 

Lotus esprit 1988