Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige Exhaust on Evora - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige Exhaust on Evora

Hi,

Am i correct in thinking that you can use any V6 engined exhaust on an Evora?

I have a NA but wouldnt mind a valved exhaust and thought about getting a used Exige unit, i would need to control the valve using aftermarket i understand that.

Thanks!

I can't comment on interchangeability between Exige/Evora exhausts (although I believe there is some overlap).

However, if you're planning on fitting the remote controlled valve from Elise-shop, and would like any tips on fitting, let me know - it's a job I've done recently.

There are a couple of different diameters used by Lotus for the V6 units, so I believe there are some differences when fitting to Evora NA. The LOTAC05504 part fits both Evora NA and Exige S, unsure about others.

Yes i have that fitted currently with  a decat, was thinking the valved Exige Janspeed system would be louder valve open and quiet when i wanted it.

I bought a full Exige system manifold back so i guess i will find out what fits and what dosent soon! 

• Gold FFM

Not to sound stupid, but as far as I'm aware, Lotus don't modify the head, therefore any of the V6 exhausts no matter the bore 'in theory' would fit the head.

Whether the rest of it fits is another question but if one type fits, it's likely another does I would have thought? Very uninformed thinking there so don't put any money on it but would be interesting to know if someone knows differently perhaps @Hangar 111?

18 hours ago, thealastair34 said:

Hi,

Yes that would be ideal please!

Send me a message if you’d like a chat or have any specific questions, otherwise I might be able to add a few general steps/pics to this thread when I next take the airbox off for another job (should be sometime in Feb).

I would think Exige / Evora headers are the same.  I would think the back box is also the same between them.  The mid pipe might be different between the two as the engine packaging is slightly different.  So maybe some customisation needed connecting the cat delete pipe to the backbox but should be too hard for a exhaust fabricator to sort out.

As far as I know, bore sizes where increased for the supercharger engine as I guess more flow rate and less velocity was needed as you have forced induction.  Smaller bores and higher velocity gases is probably better for the NA engine.

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2022 at 14:38, Doug Ashley said:

otherwise I might be able to add a few general steps/pics to this thread when I next take the airbox off for another job (should be sometime in Feb).

I just about got this done in February...

I fitted the Aerie short shift adapter at the weekend, and took a couple of pics to illustrate the radio controlled valve setup while the airbox was off.

For the valve controller itself I found a very convenient 'shelf' with a drilled hole, which has allowed me to stick it here & add a thick cable tie for security.  I could then run a vacuum hose down to where the OEM valve solenoid is (still in situ, where the orange hose can be glimpsed in the picture, in case I want to revert to the standard setup).  I hooked this new vacuum tube to the metal pipe taking the vacuum through to the exhaust, this was easiest done from underneath after removing the undertray.  For cars without a factory valve, you'll need to find a (not too hot) route from the engine bay to the exhaust area.

For the wiring, the best option I found for passing the wires through the bulkhead to the rear fusebox was to use the cabin air venting tube across the far left of the engine bay, which goes directly to the fusebox area.  I just poked a small hole with a screwdriver and fed the wires through taped to a vacuum hose to give something more solid to push on, which I then removed.  I then connected the wires up as per the instructions and taped up the venting tube to seal it again.

There might be a cleverer/easier route to the rear fuse box from the engine bay, but I struggled to find anything else, even after looking at a total Evora rebuild video which showed that area of the car dismantled.  I did try where the wiring loom passes through, but didn't want to damage the rubber seal here by poking at it too much.

Anyway, it's now great to have full control of the valve, and I had no issues hooking up to Homelink buttons on the roof.  However, I'm braced for anyone pointing out the easier/better ways to do this than I have!

The Aerie short shift adapter in the picture is another story (covered in other threads in the Exige v6 area).  I haven't taken the car out for a spin yet but it feels promising...

IMG_0643.jpg

LOTUS EVORA 3.5 V6 S 2 SUPERCHARGED (345 BHP) -.jpg

3 hours ago, Doug Ashley said:

I just about got this done in February...

I fitted the Aerie short shift adapter at the weekend, and took a couple of pics to illustrate the radio controlled valve setup while the airbox was off.

For the valve controller itself I found a very convenient 'shelf' with a drilled hole, which has allowed me to stick it here & add a thick cable tie for security.  I could then run a vacuum hose down to where the OEM valve solenoid is (still in situ, where the orange hose can be glimpsed in the picture, in case I want to revert to the standard setup).  I hooked this new vacuum tube to the metal pipe taking the vacuum through to the exhaust, this was easiest done from underneath after removing the undertray.  For cars without a factory valve, you'll need to find a (not too hot) route from the engine bay to the exhaust area.

For the wiring, the best option I found for passing the wires through the bulkhead to the rear fusebox was to use the cabin air venting tube across the far left of the engine bay, which goes directly to the fusebox area.  I just poked a small hole with a screwdriver and fed the wires through taped to a vacuum hose to give something more solid to push on, which I then removed.  I then connected the wires up as per the instructions and taped up the venting tube to seal it again.

There might be a cleverer/easier route to the rear fuse box from the engine bay, but I struggled to find anything else, even after looking at a total Evora rebuild video which showed that area of the car dismantled.  I did try where the wiring loom passes through, but didn't want to damage the rubber seal here by poking at it too much.

Anyway, it's now great to have full control of the valve, and I had no issues hooking up to Homelink buttons on the roof.  However, I'm braced for anyone pointing out the easier/better ways to do this than I have!

The Aerie short shift adapter in the picture is another story (covered in other threads in the Exige v6 area).  I haven't taken the car out for a spin yet but it feels promising...

IMG_0643.jpg

LOTUS EVORA 3.5 V6 S 2 SUPERCHARGED (345 BHP) -.jpg

I would of used the valve that operates the Air filter box flap with a tee pipe connection and run a pie to the exhaust valve, so when you operate the sports mode the air box flap and the exhaust valve would operate at the same time.

20 hours ago, EvoraBob said:

I would of used the valve that operates the Air filter box flap with a tee pipe connection and run a pie to the exhaust valve, so when you operate the sports mode the air box flap and the exhaust valve would operate at the same time.

Thats what ive done with mine

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I've just bought an NA with a 2bular exhaust and it seems I'm the only man in the world that doesn't like it:)!  I don't mind hearing it when I'm having fun but when cruising at 70 on a level throttle I find it drone-ey when I'd really like silence.

So, I wondered if the valved exhaust would suit me better and would appreciate the benefit of your experience? 

I'd like to cater for three types of use:

1)  Country road driving - don't mind if it's a bit loud.

2) Dual carriageway cruising - quiet as poss pls.

3) Track days - have to pass those noise tests even at full chat.

Apart from the rear box what do I need to buy? I'm not clear on the options above 're remote radio control valves and/or teeing into the airbox flap. Could someone explain in a little more  detail pls?

Thanks in advance! 

43 minutes ago, elandri said:

I've just bought an NA with a 2bular exhaust and it seems I'm the only man in the world that doesn't like it:)!  I don't mind hearing it when I'm having fun but when cruising at 70 on a level throttle I find it drone-ey when I'd really like silence.

You must be 🤔 I've just done 450 miles at 75-85 mph with my Evora/2Bular back box, 3rd cat delete.

Absolutely no problems with noise or drone. I love every bit of it as it enhances the Evora experience.

• Like 1

I have lotus sports exhaust so I am told from sales blurb I was handed 

anyway at motorway cruise there’s a hum and drone however I expect that from a sports car and one with engine sat behind me , additionally I added the BOi induction kit so more of bass enhancement but it’s not excessive I still have the music on mid volume and I can enjoy the tunes even a movie ! 

1 hour ago, elandri said:

Hi all,

So, I wondered if the valved exhaust would suit me better and would appreciate the benefit of your experience? 

I'd like to cater for three types of use:

1)  Country road driving - don't mind if it's a bit loud.

2) Dual carriageway cruising - quiet as poss pls.

3) Track days - have to pass those noise tests even at full chat.

Apart from the rear box what do I need to buy? I'm not clear on the options above 're remote radio control valves and/or teeing into the airbox flap. Could someone explain in a little more  detail pls?

Thanks in advance! 

Is it not a valved 2bular that is on there currently?

If you go down the exige route then its just the rear box you need like i fitted, quieter with the valve closed and still a nice noise with it open but wont be as loud as most aftermarket options valve open.

With an n/a forgive me if I'm wrong but I understand that there's no option for an 'automatic' valve arrangement and you'd need to have a switchable one?  I'm sue that some on here have done that though...

Is that the aquamarine (with various black bits) that was up for sale recently?  If so, welcome to the club!  What year is it...?

Mine's on the Lotus (Janspeed) sports exhaust with 3rd cat delete, it's certainly noisy when in the higher ranges of the rev range but perfectly acceptable to me on a cruise in the long top gear... my wife does tend to put on her noise cancelling headphones on long trips though 🙂

no idea about track days and noise limits as I've not yet done that...

9 minutes ago, Markindevon said:

With an n/a forgive me if I'm wrong but I understand that there's no option for an 'automatic' valve arrangement and you'd need to have a switchable one?  I'm sue that some on here have done that though...

Is that the aquamarine (with various black bits) that was up for sale recently?  If so, welcome to the club!  What year is it...?

Mine's on the Lotus (Janspeed) sports exhaust with 3rd cat delete, it's certainly noisy when in the higher ranges of the rev range but perfectly acceptable to me on a cruise in the long top gear... my wife does tend to put on her noise cancelling headphones on long trips though 🙂

no idea about track days and noise limits as I've not yet done that...

You can run a the sport button as valve activation on a NA i did with mine, required changing the lines on the airbox flap vac system and using a carb jet to restrict airflow so it opened above 3000rpm but it worked fine 

1 hour ago, thealastair34 said:

Is it not a valved 2bular that is on there currently?

If you go down the exige route then its just the rear box you need like i fitted, quieter with the valve closed and still a nice noise with it open but wont be as loud as most aftermarket options valve open.

Good question. I believe it was fitted in 2015, not sure when 2bular started putting valves on?

Is it possible to tell with removing the diffuser?  

Exige option sounds like it might suit me pretty well then. 

50 minutes ago, thealastair34 said:

You can run a the sport button as valve activation on a NA i did with mine, required changing the lines on the airbox flap vac system and using a carb jet to restrict airflow so it opened above 3000rpm but it worked fine 

Yes, it is one you've probably seen.

Good idea re carb jet to adjust opening 

So, to check if I'm understanding things......

Is it the case that:

1) the exhaust valve is vacuum operated and you have obtained the vacuum by teeing into a pipe that provides vac to operate a flap in the airbox.

2) @Doug Ashley installed a solenoid valve between the tee and the exhaust valve so he could remotely disable exhaust valve operation.     

3) @thealastair34 installed a carb jet in that line to limit the vacuum supply to the exhaust valve which delays it's activation till 3000 revs.

2 hours ago, elandri said:

So, to check if I'm understanding things......

2) @Doug Ashley installed a solenoid valve between the tee and the exhaust valve so he could remotely disable exhaust valve operation.    

Correct 👍 I went down this route to get full manual control of the valve, given the 2bular system is straight through and doesn’t warrant opening the valve for engine protection reasons (unlike the restrictive factory system in quiet mode).

On 11/01/2022 at 16:06, electro_boy said:

I would think Exige / Evora headers are the same.  I would think the back box is also the same between them.  The mid pipe might be different between the two as the engine packaging is slightly different.  

You are correct.

When Jim supplied my 2bular manifolds & cat to Craig Moncrieff it didn’t fit. After some to-and-fro head scratching there was an “aha” moment when Jim realised he’d mis-read my order and sent Exige parts. 

Manifolds remained in place - new mid pipes shipped to immediately sort the issue.

(And I remain VERY happy that I made the switch - noticeably more urgent top end with “no change” to the mid-range is a significant change to the “character” of the OEM power plant)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

I've bought an Exige valved silencer which is on its way. Apparently only did 50 miles on the car before being replaced.

So, thinking ahead to installation / control a couple of general questions:

It's noted above that the valve is normally open (i.e. with no vacuum connection it's loud). So, presumably, relies on vacuum to close it (quiet)?

My understanding is that vacuum is greatest on a closed throttle and reduces as the throttle is opened and manifold depression becomes nearer to atmospheric.

So, I'm struggling to understand how a solenoid valve can do anything other than invoke full "loud mode" or how a restrictor would delay the opening of the valve. I'd have though it would hasten it? 

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Mr Confused awaits his "Numpty of the Year Award🤔!