Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Can you put Exige induction kit on Evora ? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Can you put Exige induction kit on Evora ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Silly question 

the BOE intake kit due for delivery in the next 7-9 days , I got a decent price for fitting from my local lotus garage so will get it booked when kit arrives.

question when the kit is installed there’s a big gap left will this cause any issues ? Also as I have been running this E10 fuel which in my perception still makes car run lumpy even after 3-4 months should I return back to 95 Ron petrol as the intake might need it ? 

20 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

question when the kit is installed there’s a big gap left will this cause any issues ? 

No issues on mine, the BOE Fab induction kit comes with all the brackets, fixing etc you need to hold the whole assembly in place.  You have the positive side effect of a less congested engine bay so its easier when you are spannering away in the engine bay.  I know how much you like to fix things your self, 😉

20 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Also as I have been running this E10 fuel which in my perception still makes car run lumpy even after 3-4 months should I return back to 95 Ron petrol as the intake might need it ? 

I thought E10 fuel was 95 RON, its the super unleaded 98+ RON that has less ethanol content.  Not sure if its possible to get 95 RON unleaded with lower than 10% Ethanol content?  Thought the current choices are 95RON E10 or 98+RON at E0/E5. 

Either way I would stick to what you use normally unless you get into problems with that fuel.  

The car's ECU will be trimming the air to fuel ratio and advancing or retarding the timing to get the best out of the combustion cycle.  It will very quickly default back to "safe and slow" settings but will slowly optimise incrementally for better combustion.  Each time you change a variable by a large amount the ECU is likely to go back to default safe settings and then slowly over time increasing things again as it learns the new system.  So if you normally use E10 95RON then keep using that, but I would always recommend using the higher octane anyways because you know more POWWWWEEERRR! 

I've always run Super unleaded 98RON in my NA, so the E5 moving to E10 is a non issue for me. I also have run a Radium CAI on mine for the past 9 years without issue, but unfortunately this kit is no longer made. 

Cheers Jai

Thanks for laying to rest my concerns yes the extra space for me to get my spanner’s out is not an issue thankfully 

I am not convinced on this E10 fuel 

3 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Either way I would stick to what you use normally unless you get into problems with that fuel.

it’s not the same as it was back in summer when I did my little road trip to Highlands , so my gut feeling is to revert back to shell v power ? 

I've not tried any sort of E10 fuel yet as I always go for 98+RON.  When I did try E5 95 RON I felt the car was a bit more sluggish.

For a high performance car I would always recommend high octane fuel as it just frees up the engine.  Sure on a 2012 1.4 Polo, I don't think there is much to gain to using high octane fuel and would just stick to normal unleaded but for an Evora, super unleaded all the time!

Regarding Shell V Power vs normal high octane/ super unleaded.  If you can afford it go for Shell V Power every fill up, I believe the additives are certainly worth it and do help to clean out your system and help keep it running smoothly ( even on a non performance car).  But I'm not convinced you need to use it every fill up.  Maybe every 4-6  fill ups switch over to V Power.  Make sure the tank is reasonably empty so the V Power is not diluted.

How about the for my bad luck ?

went to drive the car Friday evening check engine light tried to clear it no avail ? 
took it for a blast this morning engine light still on , after 20 mins went to get some petrol car stalled near garage ! I managed to get home 

car is at lotus tomorrow to get the CAI fitted wondering if I will make it ? 
I am convinced it’s this E10 petrol so was going to fill up with v power so will do in morning on route to lotus 

Typical of my luck but hopefully get it to lotus garage to sort the gremlins ! 

One of my other cars is a Volvo XC40 petrol, a few weeks ago I was low on fuel so put some of Morrisons E10 petrol in and the car ran like a bag of crap with slight misfire, low performance and easily stalling setting of at road junctions. When I used a few gallons refilled with Shell V power and is now running spot on. I always used Shell E5 and no issues on the Volvo but use V power on the Evora. A few of my mates are car mechanics at major franchised garages and they are have lots of issues with E10 fuel from super market garages.

So back from lotus having fitted the BOE intake kit not really tested it as they told me to run it for about 50 miles first 

however as soon as I drove through  gates of my lotus garage the engine light went out ! 😳🤔😳 mad

I had filled up with v power on route and I swear I noticed a difference in how the car was running, even my mpg improved over 15 mile journey 

my lotus mechanic told me to stick to E99 or v power type of fuel as they are noticing other lotus owners complaining about E10 fuel !  

Yep my usual is Tesco momentum 99 octane and occasionally a tank of v-power when I want to treat the car. 

The official word from Lotus is that the Evora runs fine on E10, maybe you need to give it some time for the ECU to adjust for the new fuel?  Maybe after a tank or two the car will run fine? Not sure I could be bothered to do that I'd rather just run premium E5.

I gave it 3 months for the ECU to adjust but it was still marking car run awfully 

anyway I learnt my lesson and have reverted to E5 fuel 

just taken the car for a run out to bed BOE intake , car seems to run a little more assured not given the big beans but like to stand by the road and listen to drive by to appreciate the improved sound ! 

I was told by a reliable source that when you change the manifold/induction you should then run the car "easy" for around 300-500 miles, increasing the revs/load towards the end of this period. Apparently this allows the ECU to learn the new settings / changes as it does have auto learning capabilities.

I was told to not change everything at once (e.g. headers, CAI etc) as this was too big a change in one go for the ECU to adapt to as they would be too far outside of the expected parameters.

I followed this advice when I changed the headers on my NA and had no issues whatsoever. I always only ever used "premium octane" fuel (my preference was - and still is for my 410 Evora - Tesco's Momentum as it is 99 ron, higher than Shell Optimax at 98 ron and BP Ultimate (my second preferred choice) at 99 ron.

Tesco's Momentum is a good price/performance bet and in 7 years running of Evora's I have never had an issue with it. 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

53 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I was told by a reliable source that when you change the manifold/induction you should then run the car "easy" for around 300-500 miles, increasing the revs/load towards the end of this period. Apparently this allows the ECU to learn the new settings / changes as it does have auto learning capabilities

I was advised by lotus that 30-70 miles bedding in time which I had done today which is way shorter than 300-500 ? 

All I can say is that the advice I received was from a renowned Lotus service expert and I had no issues as a result. maybe I was just lucky.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I changed the intake on my Alfa GTV and drove it around like you should drive an Italian car from the off, didn't cause any negative affects.

If an Alfa ECU can cope, I'm fairly certain a Toyota ECU is up to the job!

• Like 1

Don't know if its phycological but to the butt dino it certainly feels like it has bit more torque and go than before.  Might just be the extra noise giving more drama and feeling like you are going faster, either way it puts a bigger smile on my face so I'm happy.

• Like 1