Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cost of living! - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cost of living!

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Exactly @LotusLeftLotusRight So much for family values. I get hit by bloody everything. Sorry, but in some ways nice to know I'm not alone!!

Being salaried doesn't help either.

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

And I’ve warned everyone about smart meters. Folks ain’t gonna listen till it hits chap.

I've gone back to paying the electric bill monthly based on actual readings. EDF were taking the piss with a projected usage monthly direct debit.

Will also encourage us to use less as the benefit will be experienced more immediately. Jumpernomics :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

So Banks make record Profits, and Inflation is going up and up yet I am still getting 0.01% interest on my savings. Anyone else smell a rat? Or several Rats.

What is savings?

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

8 minutes ago, pete said:

What is savings?

Converted a lot of mine into Shares and Gold & Silver I must admit! But I need some cash to buy a Holiday home in Cyprus, so next Lockdown I'll be warm and in a pool!

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, PaulCP said:

@MysteraeIn my experience after witnessing how supposedly high level ex NHS IT ‘professionals’ struggle & fail miserably outside of their little “cushion” Test & Trace was doomed to failure once the NHS IT ‘professionals’  got their hands on it (& the money).

You mean Serco, right?

ive read that inflation somehow erodes the national debt ?? (dont ask me how) so although on screen the government will be saying this is bad we will fix it blah blah blah behind the scenes they may want it to run as it is 😔

2 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

You mean Serco, right?

No, this was in Scotland and pre Serco. 
Ex NHS employees back in 2003-09 trying to adapt to cut & throat systems requirements in the Port Industry

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

When it rains.... When I moved back to Scotland having been away for over 20 years our inept HR department didn't update the Inland Revenue as they are required to do. So for over a year I was paying tax at the English rate despite living in Scotland. I don't pay much attention to tax codes, just paye and be done with it but a conversation at work made me check it and I contacted the IR for advice. It was true.

image.png.9fcd2ae9561efbabd10c2eb8f9809bf1.png

I'm now paying more in income tax and start paying back the shortfall this April. Got to pay for those free prescriptions (that I don't use or need) somehow I suppose! The impact of this is softened by the other half getting made up to full time, today no less, congrats to her!

By the way, add water to list of bills that are going up too (7% on average).

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, PaulCP said:

No, this was in Scotland and pre Serco. 
Ex NHS employees back in 2003-09 trying to adapt to cut & throat systems requirements in the Port Industry

Can't comment on what you experienced, but "NHS" Test and Trace was outsourced to Serco.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, windymiller said:

ive read that inflation somehow erodes the national debt ?? (dont ask me how) so although on screen the government will be saying this is bad we will fix it blah blah blah behind the scenes they may want it to run as it is 😔

Maybe, but the fallout in the wider economy is really bad so solving the debt mountain issue using that technique usually requires taking on an even bigger debt mountain.  But the basic maths are simple.  If inflation is at 2% per annum then given compound effects in about 35 years money has halved its value - so £100 then buys the same as £50 did 35 years ago.  If inflation is at 5% then that drops to halving every 15 years and at 10% its something just over 7 years.   So at 10 % inflation, your 1 Billion debt now gets paid back in 50 years time by money that's worth the equivalent of just £0.143 billion....Ignoring the real and constant drag of interest payments in the interim and all the other awful side effects.

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

12 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Can't comment on what you experienced, but "NHS" Test and Trace was outsourced to Serco.

Didn’t realise that Dave, but surely if something is outsourced the responsibility for the ultimate control for specification & checking stays with the business who outsourced the requirement in the first place. Outsourcing used to be all about getting the specification and contract right.

Or have I been out of day to day business too long after 9 years of retirement🤔

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 19:35, LotusFella said:

I’m with Ovo Energy for leccy only.  My contract was  100% renewable.  When I quizzed them about the 3 fold increase when on 100% renewable they told me it was the large corporates just force profiteering on the population for being susceptible to covid and hitting their profits last year.  #paybacktime

That is complete and utter bollocks from Ovo to be honest. You were fobbed off by someone who just thought they could get away with stuffing a large vegetable up your butt!

19 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Same here. If there’s any new tax forthcomingI can guarantee it will hit me hard. Here’s an example: my wife earns part time minimum wage peanuts and yet if I earn a penny over £50k, I get hit with the high income child benefit charge, whereas a parent couple earning £49,999 each don’t have to pay a penny. The NI increase will also be a bastard. Savings earning sod all and whenever we try to gamble on a better return, the investment goes to sh!t. Although that’s more COVID’s fault that the government. The only safe-ish place for my money has been invested in cars!

Ha!  I took home 47p in evey pound I earned last year! And then I listen to tosspot politicians and twits like Angela Raynor who say those who earn more should pay more.  So I "earn" 8 times more than my son, but after taxes etc I take home 4 times more. Yeah, i really should pay more tax!!!!!

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

20 hours ago, windymiller said:

This may help.

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2021/10/21/can-inflation-offset-government-debt

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM
On 03/02/2022 at 19:35, LotusFella said:

I’m with Ovo Energy for leccy only.  My contract was  100% renewable.  When I quizzed them about the 3 fold increase when on 100% renewable they told me it was the large corporates just force profiteering on the population for being susceptible to covid and hitting their profits last year. 

As I understand it, electric suppliers charge per unit of energy, it doesn't matter where it comes from they charge the same, so if prices go up because it costs a lot to get the gas to burn to generate leccy, then the Nuclear, wind, wave etc. prices all rise to the same level.

It doesn't make sense, but it encourages suppliers to move towards renewables, hence why they are all trying to buy space to build wind farms all of a sudden.

3 minutes ago, windymiller said:

a relative of the wifes has just applied for a solar farm on several acres of farmland and its caused merry hell in the local community !!!

How large is the one you mention.....

Revised plans for controversial huge solar farm near Exeter revealed...

The 215 acres scheme - which has since been decreased by more than 35 acres due to residents comments!!!!!!!

Quite large......

A Brexit promise broke yet again at least this one was not on the side of a bus.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/03/black-thursday-boriss-brexit-promise-of-cheaper-gas-turns-out-to-have-been-hot-air-16041454/

53 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

How large is the one you mention.....

Revised plans for controversial huge solar farm near Exeter revealed...

The 215 acres scheme - which has since been decreased by more than 35 acres due to residents comments!!!!!!!

Quite large......

i think its quite small only about 8 acres but i find this policy stupid with a growing population and trying to cut co2 emmisions shudnt we grow more and import less ?? the foot print of solar is huge compared with nuclear and solar really does remove a habitat for wildlife but wtfdik !!!! 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, windymiller said:

a relative of the wifes has just applied for a solar farm on several acres of farmland and its caused merry hell in the local community !!!

Tell her to whack in for a wind turbine - now then you’ll see what Merry hell is 🤣

• Sad 1

Only here once

Andrew Bailey (from the BoE) telling people not to ask for a salary increase from their boss, while he’s on a salary on £500,000 takes the biscuit.

Though unfortunately his economics are correct as wage inflation will add to an upward inflationary spiral.  As employees salaries increase, so does the cost of the business’s products to cover their overheads.

Putting up interest rates in the short term won’t cure inflation as a large amount of it is from high imported energy costs.  In the medium term If energy prices decrease but inflation persists, then putting up interest rates is the only cure.

Unfortunately it looks like we are heading into a huge shit storm, 70s style.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1