Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira Road Tests & Reviews - Page 9 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Road Tests & Reviews

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Horses for courses… I‘m only interested in a road car and as such it comes down to the question Emira vs Evora… 😉 Have not heard much about that except Harry‘s comment that the Evora sounded better… 😊

For the few who know the difference

9 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

And Autocar’s review……can’t really say?! - I’d almost lost the will to live by the time he was done!!😴

Agreed - I normally like Matt Prior but here it was like he was trying to send us all to sleep. Phoned in video content if ever there was. 

39 minutes ago, Relic222 said:

I didn't bother to watch to the end of the video. I used to love Evo, and Jethro, but that review was incredibly boring, the audio quality was terrible, and it didn't make for an exciting film to watch. And as you say, it was very predictable - what's that, the Porsche is better? I can't believe it.

It made me laugh a while ago when they did a look back at all the past winners - the Evora won in 2009, beating the Cayman, but in the 10 years since they've now decided that the Cayman was at least on par. It feels like they have shares in Porsche or something. I was a subscriber for years, but felt like it went down hill a couple of years ago. End rant

Loved seeing Harry enjoy the car, and using it like it's intended. It's a Lotus, so I'm fully expecting there to still be some quirks, as long as it puts a smile on my face I'll be happy. 

Lotus though made a mistake giving pro-Porsche Evo, a Goodyear shod Emira with the Sport set-up……would likely have been a different story, if it had been on Cup’s! Silly error by someone at Lotus……😬 and……why give LHD cars to people that are used to RHD. One of the development drivers in another video said the footwell is wider on RHD cars and the peddles not so offset…….so surely if you’re Lotus you prioritise the correct orientation, with the right set up and right tyres, if you want to receive the best review!!🤷🏻‍♂️

Evo is predictable and I’ve not even watched any videos yet. Even if it was Emira vs (insert any other manufacturer other than Porsche) their verdict would still be Porsche. A bit boring now if you ask me...

• Like 2

I brought my GT4 to a local Lotus meet recently, and of course I was asked how it compared to my Exige/Evora etc.  My response normally starts with, 'You really don't want my answer'.  

The Emira is a stunning looking, different, Lotus DNA road car.  Evo were unfair in a GT4 into the picture at Anglesey, and as said Lotus similarly not supplying a cup2 shod car for a track test.  On that basis I can't knock Jethro for the hand he was dealt, and great to have the other reviews like Harry's as counterpoint.

I'm still very much looking forward to my FE V6 Emira even after the bells tolled at 12 today!

Edited by Cooper
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cooper said:

I brought my GT4 to a local Lotus meet recently, and of course I was asked how it compared to my Exige/Evora etc.  My response normally starts with, 'You really don't want my answer'.  

The Emira is a stunning looking, different, Lotus DNA road car.  Evo were unfair in a GT4 into the picture at Anglesey, and as said Lotus similarly not supplying a sport chassis car for a track test.  On that basis I can't knock Jethro for the hand he was dealt, and great to have the other reviews like Harry's as counterpoint.

I'm still very much looking forward to my FE V6 Emira even after the bells tolled at 12 today!

Lotus did supply a Sport Chassis for the Evo test - it’s the tyre choice they got wrong! Like I said…..silly mistake by Lotus😬

Great review by Car👏👏😎

• Like 1

So far I’ve watched videos from Autocar, Car and EVO. Clearly EVO were always going to do a hatchet job on it: amazing coincidence that they just happened to have a Cayman GT4 at the circuit that day. As for Autocar, it was just as per my prediction: Emira better in many ways, but let’s take the Cayman GTS (apparently even the electric steering is on a par with the Emira!). Car magazine also on a similar tack: for example they acknowledge the over tall gearing of the Cayman GTS and then counter that by saying that this encourages you to rev the engine out. On what planet is that a positive attribute? High, wide-spaced gearing is the absolute opposite of what any sports car should have.

I think we were naive to expect anything else. Be good to see what the non UK media reports.

Interesting that most of the reviews mention the gearbox as a weak point, much as it always had been in the Evora and Exige.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

So far I’ve watched videos from Autocar, Car and EVO. Clearly EVO were always going to do a hatchet job on it: amazing coincidence that they just happened to have a Cayman GT4 at the circuit that day. As for Autocar, it was just as per my prediction: Emira better in many ways, but let’s take the Cayman GTS (apparently even the electric steering is on a par with the Emira!). Car magazine also on a similar tack: for example they acknowledge the over tall gearing of the Cayman GTS and then counter that by saying that this encourages you to rev the engine out. On what planet is that a positive attribute? High, wide-spaced gearing is the absolute opposite of what any sports car should have.

I think we were naive to expect anything else. Be good to see what the non UK media reports.

And in EVERY other review they cane the Cayman for its overly long gearing and you can't use it on the road - as most have said, Harry's one is most down to earth.. Auto trader one is ok too. CarWow would have made a big thing about the brake pedal if it was a major issue, so maybe just one of the test cars needed the brakes bled or new fluid after a previous reviewer killed it

• Like 1

Is it me or did they give Evo a F.U spec:  sport chassis with touring tires!? off course Evo decided to take said spec on Anglesee and to compare it with GT4 which is quite typical of them.

2 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Lotus did supply a Sport Chassis for the Evo test - it’s the tyre choice they got wrong! Like I said…..silly mistake by Lotus😬

Not the sort of mistake I'd expect Lotus to make for such a review: known to be on a circuit and by EVO.  EVO addresses the all round driving performance of a car, way ahead of anything else. (Fair enough, known to be what they do.)

At Anglesey circuit, naturally it was about the Emira's performance on a circuit. Lotus knew that.

"We can't stop them reviewing it - so what to do? .............Got it! Give them a car with an inappropriate setup. The track suspension and the road tyres. Not the tyres for which that suspension was designed.  So their conclusions can be said to be irrelevant --- what a shame!"

PS : Pure speculation by me.

EDIT: NedaSay: you posted while I was writing mine!  Great minds!

Edited by mdavies
  • Like 1

Not watched the vid reviews yet but the write ups are pretty dull.

Top Gear however are almost wetting themselves with excitement in their A110 v cayman GTS vs emira 

A much more interesting read!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/big-sportscar-test-lotus-emira-vs-porsche-cayman-vs-alpine-a110

Edited by Mctaff

Written review from EVO (Stuart Gallagher).  Mixed comments, including irrelevant Porsche references, but does include positive as well as negative comments. EVO to get a car with right tyres soon.  Mentions  CUP 430 Emira  in 2024.

"Feels there’s more potential waiting to be untapped"  Something to look forward to.

https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/emira

Edited by mdavies
  • Like 1

Catchpole's written piece for EVO seems to be the most sensible I've seen so far. He takes it across France to Monaco, via some of my favourite places and the Route Napoleon, which is a great drive even in a dull hire car. He doesn't exactly rave about it, but certainly loves the car and is hugely complementary about the overall package. Looking forward to his Carfection video.

As for the tyre choice, it was not a mistake by Lotus. They fitted the Goodyear's as they were expecting heavy rain down through the Alps. Perfectly sensible in my view. Unfortunately they then headed straight to Anglesey.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdavies said:

Not the sort of mistake I'd expect Lotus to make for such a review: known to be on a circuit and by EVO.  EVO addresses the all round driving performance of a car, way ahead of anything else. (Fair enough, known to be what they do.)

At Anglesey circuit, naturally it was about the Emira's performance on a circuit. Lotus knew that.

"We can't stop them reviewing it - so what to do? .............Got it! Give them a car with an inappropriate setup. The track suspension and the road tyres. Not the tyres for which that suspension was designed.  So their conclusions can be said to be irrelevant --- what a shame!"

PS : Pure speculation by me.

EDIT: NedaSay: you posted while I was writing mine!  Great minds!

I honestly don't think it was a mistake. I'd rather think it was deliberate. Even though it is kind of dangerous gamble on behalf of Lotus. however the Evo video gives very little when it comes to real life driving of the car, and real life living with the car. However having the infotainment U.I not ready for press cars is not something i can understand.  They are recoding a proven Geely unit, it is mostly calibration they should have been able to get representative version of final software in the car press cars.