Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Overheating - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Overheating

My 2.2 engine will overheat if left on tick over for some time, the two fans, thermostat pressure cap and thermal switch all work ok. Rad has been flushed clear. My question is=is it worth taking out the thermostat to improve water flow?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I certainly wouldn't remove the thermostat. What temperature is the thermostat opening at, and is it opening fully? The stock system works so if it was me I'd be trying to find out why it's not operating as intended.

• Like 2

Have read somewhere that although this can be a short term fix on some engines, the 907 doesnt appreciate this being done. It doesnt like water unless its mixed 50/50 with antifreeze.  If taking out the thermostat  I would replace it and see if this fixes the issue or atleast test the current thermostat is working properly,eg as soldave says is it opening fully at the correct temperature.

My Excel did overheat with the original rad, even though it was flushed and clean. I had a 4 core rad built into the standard headers and the problem was sorted. Later I fitted a new alloy 3 core rad from China and it gives no problems either, except the hose unions were a bigger diameter and gave difficulty fitting the hoses. it will idle for hours with no problem. Make sure the block is not sludged up, which can happen. Cleaning with with 'rad flush' may help otherwise its a dismantle the engine job.

My first elite did overheat a bit, garage diagnosed the wrong thermostat was fitted.

Check water pump belt, I recall it can become loose if power steering pump comes loose....I certainly had an issue on mine but I forget the technical details.

Justin 

I remember an issue with overheating on my car a long time ago where the pump impeller had moved on its shaft. The gap between the block and impeller is critical, too large a gap reduces flow. The impeller is only pressed onto the shaft.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Now I’m getting air/gas in the cooling with bubbles in the header tank so suspect gasket or liners, now taking head off for a look, will report back.

• Sad 1

Now got the head off but can’t see the problem, gasket looks sound, head and block both smooth and clean, liners look ok to me so I am going to take bits to lotusbits for advice from Mike Taylor.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done to Mike on finding that one!  How frustrating though!  The dowels are only there to locate the gasket - the holes in the head are larger in diameter than those in the block.

Pete

• 2 months later...

In the way that Crocodile Dundee refers to a knife: That's not water, I had water in the engine..... I stupidly misjudged the depth of a floodwater puddle (technically it was the river flowing across a road), forgot that my air intake was quite low, sucked water through the airbox, put a couple of litres into the sump (via the oil sump breather system), put some into each cylinder, and when the AA patrol took the plugs out for me and I turned the engine over, we had a water feature display as the engine sucked more water out of the airbox through the cylinders and out through the plug holes.

Glad you got it sorted.

In hind sight I'd have suggested deepening the roll pin holes, just so that in future there's no chance of the pins being changed for standard length and bottoming out again. But, that's hindsight for you.