Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
UK Politics Thread - Page 12 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

UK Politics Thread

Barrykearley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 15/11/2023 at 00:04, Barrykearley said:

She’s either gonna end up standing against rishi in a future leadership challenge or I can see her defecting to reform 

Those that wield the knife rarely get to lead the party. If she does mount a challenge she will merely be a stalking horse whilst other, stronger candidates make a charge (rightly or wrongly)

On 16/11/2023 at 21:04, Frickin_idiot said:

beliefs are:

as small a state as possible

high personal responsibility 

free basic healthcare

an economic climate that attract quality business

Absolutely on the button. Spot on.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 3 weeks later...

I think Reform is going to get a lot of votes, especially from those who won't vote Tory but just can't bring themselves to vote Labour either.

I Won't vote Lib Dems, they are a total shower.

I must admit I am totally struggling to see myself anywhere currently! There are so few choices for those of us who just want common sense.

1. the Environment is important but they are fixated on the wrong policies and targetting the wrong areas. Many of their policies are just going to cost the country and its people far too much for such little gain. Like EV cars.

2. The harder you work the more you get. Only you don't! Because the harder you work the bigger % they take. The whole point of tax being a % is that the more you earn the more you pay but fairly! If my tax rate is 20% I pay more anyway if I earn £60k over someone paying tax on £20k! Why should I pay 40% for working hard? That needs changing!

3. The Middle Classes are the highest tax payers in the country and I believe the most put upon in terms of things like education cost and transport. They contribute to the Uk GDP so much more than any other group. Yet they are the most put upon in terms of HMRC, paying tax on things like investments and having 2 cars, etc etc. In education I experienced a good example where my daughter attended Uni in London. Because of my earnings she got no assistance, minimum loans only to cover the term costs and everything else either she had to pay for with loans or working or we had to pay for. However because it's means tested (even the loan) she had no money for accomodation or living costs. But they don't take into account outgoings when they means test you, so they didn't see I had 3 other kids 2 of which we were spending a fortune on to get them educated because they are autistic, or the fact Wendy was going through Cancer treatment so couldn't work etc etc. Yet my daughters friends were either from wealthy families who could afford to pay or working class families who got every help from the system and got everything paid for! Hows that fair!

Christ on a bike, many middle class have private pensions and by saving money and trying not to be a burden on the country and their kids they then even get taxed on the savings and earnings that have already been taxed on! And then pay tax, on their taxed earnings that have been taxed again before,  in terms of VAT when they then use their money to buy something! I'd want anyone that has forethought to save for their retirement to get tax breaks!

4. I'd want laws stopping building on green field sites and even on Brownfield sites to build up instead of out. Save our natural environment from this rediculous idea we have that everyone should have a bloody great house! It's a right to have a roof over your head not a house! A nice apartment is just as good and cheaper and better for the environment. Any houses and Flats built would need to be ecologically sound and builders would need to meet this cost themselves with a minimum of Solar panels and triple glazing and much better building regs. While on the subject stop any building on Flood plains and planting of proper trees and hedges instead of tarmacing over everything! This would also help with flooding issues and deal with heat from climate change. As an example the Norwich council cut down all the trees in the city because they were a "Health Hazard" losing branches and dropping seeds and leaves. Idiots!

5. I'd like to see the number of MP's cut in half and for them to head up their local councils as well. This would save billions on so many different elections and so many different wages on councillors and the like. While we're at it, all Politicians have to work like us for 30 years to get their pensions, rather than getting it after just 2 terms, 10 years. All their constituents have a say in their results. If they aren't doing their job correctly, then they can be sacked by those who voted for them, at any time, like any of us. 

6. Use the money saved to support those services who need it, specifically Police, Ambo and especially Community care and Mental health. Getting a bigger infrastructure to look after people in the community will free up 50% of Hospital beds and take the pressure off the NHS.

I could go on but I won't cause I need to get back to work! 

• Love 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Inheritance tax too. My MIL died in November 2022. Everything was left 50/50 in her Will to her two kids, less the tax man’s share. 13 months later the Will still hasn’t been paid out and, guess what, my BIL has also just died without ever receiving a penny. Since he has no other family of his own, his share presumably now goes to his sister (my wife), but of course all of the expensive work the solicitor has put in over the past year was a complete waste of tonnes of money and the whole process now starts all over again. God knows when my wife will see any of the proceeds. She’ll probably also be dead by then!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

2. The harder you work the more you get. Only you don't! Because the harder you work the bigger % they take. The whole point of tax being a % is that the more you earn the more you pay but fairly! If my tax rate is 20% I pay more anyway if I earn £60k over someone paying tax on £20k! Why should I pay 40% for working hard? That needs changing!

I've gone from an effective tax rate of 56% last tax year, to just under 8% this tax year. Last year my total tax bill was well in to 6 figures. It shocked me to the core.

Never been happier. Never felt better. I'm earning double per day than I was before, but paying a fraction of the tax so working about 70% FEWER days each month for the same cash in my pocket. I could work the same 22 days per month as before and make shitloads more cash. But why? How long have I got left to enjoy it?

Life is not just about how much you earn. It's what you do with what you earn, and right now, I'm having the time of my life creating memories by having great experiences. I should have worked this out 20 years ago. Money is great, but it can't buy you more time.

25 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

but of course all of the expensive work the solicitor has put in over the past year was a complete waste of tonnes of money and the whole process now starts all over again.

Solicitors have rigged the systems so they can milk the cows till after even the sun has gone down. Ask yourself why does it take so long to get sorted. It shouldn't. And doesn't need to. Money for old rope for sure.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

43 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I've gone from an effective tax rate of 56% last tax year, to just under 8% this tax year. Last year my total tax bill was well in to 6 figures. It shocked me to the core.

Never been happier. Never felt better. I'm earning double per day than I was before, but paying a fraction of the tax so working about 70% FEWER days each month for the same cash in my pocket. I could work the same 22 days per month as before and make shitloads more cash. But why? How long have I got left to enjoy it?

Life is not just about how much you earn. It's what you do with what you earn, and right now, I'm having the time of my life creating memories by having great experiences. I should have worked this out 20 years ago. Money is great, but it can't buy you more time.

How mate?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I gave up the corporate world that I have lived in for the past 40 years @Kimbers. I've now gone freelance and work when I want, for who I want, doing what I want.

Rather than working for a corporate, I now work for myself. I've realised why so many of my self employed/business owning mates were always so much more cash rich than I was, despite me supposedly earning a lot more. It's the difference between gross PAYE, which gets decimated by HMRC, and being paid a salary, and dividends, and then taking advantage of ways to minimise NIC's etc. All legal. All above board. It's been an eye opening journey that has explained a lot to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The small print.

1 minute ago, C8RKH said:

I gave up the corporate world that I have lived in for the past 40 years @Kimbers. I've now gone freelance and work when I want, for who I want, doing what I want.

Rather than working for a corporate, I now work for myself. I've realised why so many of my self employed/business owning mates were always so much more cash rich than I was, despite me supposedly earning a lot more. It's the difference between gross PAYE, which gets decimated by HMRC, and being paid a salary, and dividends, and then taking advantage of ways to minimise NIC's etc. All legal. All above board. It's been an eye opening journey that has explained a lot to me.

Yeah we are experiencing this with Wendys new business, having quit the NHS. She has earnt nearly as much in 6 months as a full year in the NHS but her bring home is way higher and she claims 45p a mile when the NHS paid her 20p. As an artist she can even go on painting retreats and claim it back.

7 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

As an artist she can even go on painting retreats and claim it back

She can employ you. She can pay you up to £12500 (ish) per year tax free (if you don't earn anything else). She can then pay you additional "dividends" if you are shareholder in her business. At c. 7/8% tax.

If her business employs someone else (say you), she can apply for NIC exemptions - but you still get your "credit" for your state pension as long as you earn over £6/7k ish per year.

She can rent the "studio" that she has created in your house.

There's more and more. Don't forget when she goes to retreats and shows, all her expenses are work related, so they come off her revenue as "pre tax", reducing her corporate tax bill. Etc etc.

A good accountant will keep you right but it is astounding - I genuinely feel like I have "found" a whole new world lol......

The small print.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

And doesn't need to. Money for old rope for sure

Did the probate for my mum's estate myself, had the forms etc submitted to HMRC and probate within 2 weeks. As I had been dealing with their finances for the previous 5 years, I knew all the figures/balances etc. (dad having died 2 years earlier)  Paid out the 3 charity bequests and the funds to my son from the will and the rest was to me. Longest time was waiting for HMRC and probate to do whatever it is they do. So saved over £12k in solicitors fees.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

She can employ you. She can pay you up to £12500 (ish) per year tax free (if you don't earn anything else). She can then pay you additional "dividends" if you are shareholder in her business. At c. 7/8% tax.

If her business employs someone else (say you), she can apply for NIC exemptions - but you still get your "credit" for your state pension as long as you earn over £6/7k ish per year.

She can rent the "studio" that she has created in your house.

There's more and more. Don't forget when she goes to retreats and shows, all her expenses are work related, so they come off her revenue as "pre tax", reducing her corporate tax bill. Etc etc.

A good accountant will keep you right but it is astounding - I genuinely feel like I have "found" a whole new world lol......

welcome

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Another example of the duplicity of France. Good question asked by The Spectator, they seem to employ real journalists!

So, if France can do it, why can't we?   Hmmmm 🤔

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/if-france-can-ignore-the-echr-why-cant-we/

• Like 1

The small print.

• Like 1

The small print.

I totally agree @pete, a lot of "people" who knew less than a piece of shite on the floor presented themselves as "experts" - some of them were scientists, politicians, "special advisors", doctors, nurses and others. A lot of them I do believe were just making it up as they went along. Partly, because we had no idea what we were really dealing with, that was partly thanks to the Chinese keeping things tightly wrapped.

Anyone who throws stones at Johnson, or anyone else, who had to make decisions in short timescales needs to look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves "could I really have done any better!".

Yes, Johnson and others were clowns, but would you really want to have been in their shoes?

• Like 2

The small print.

10 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

The whole covid farce continues to be a debacle,  It's supposed to enable us to learn from our mistakes, on this occasion it seems to be more about naming and shaming, costing us millions for our pathetic politicians to score brownie points against one another.

Its about lining the pocket of Lawyers.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I heard Johnson yesterday say "You mustn't forget we have never had to deal with anything like this so it was the first time for every situation"

"Yes but why didn't you do this and that and do you regret it now"

My answer would have been "I just f**kin said we didn't know how to deal with it! FFS".

Like you say it's all about the blame game. Lets not forget Boris nearly croaked himself. People with axes to grind and they don't care cause the tax payer is paying.

• Like 2

The whole thing is a ridiculous.   The outcome is pre-determined and 100% based on hindsight - Here's my prediction of the enquiry summary:

• There was insufficient planning (fair point - but do we really want to spend countless billions planning for an infinite number of events that may never occur?) 
  • Lockdowns should have been earlier and harder  (That would only make sense if it was known a vaccine would be available - that was contrary to expectation at the time)

I'm still not convinced that the overall outcome would have been significantly different had we literally done nothing...

54 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Listening today, it is not just the politicians, the guy from the organisation representing the "bereaved families" was bloody awful just before they stopped for lunch.

Andy, iirc the guy representing “bereaved families” is a lawyer hired by them. I’m not 100% sure because I refuse to listen to any of it. The whole real purpose and cost of the witch hunt just makes my blood boil.

Why should anyone representing a very, very minor minority be in attendance at such an enquiry let alone allowed to ask questions.

The media talk about elections in parts of Ukraine being a sham. The fact that they themselves are lapping this up and not calling it a sham once again proves how biased and possibly corrupt the media are in this country.

• Like 1