Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carbon Fibre tailgate - updates and tips - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Carbon Fibre tailgate - updates and tips

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think that was Harry metcalf’s video wasn’t it.  Yes I agree. 

I had my test drive a couple of weeks back.  I’m not convinced that it’s enough of a step forward for me.  It looks stunning but I really like my Evora. I was comparing it to someone leaving their Mrs for a younger lady.  They all do pretty much the same thing so all they'd be getting is a sexier exterior.  

I’m all for sticking with what I’ve got therefore 😂.  Now what to do with the deposit - hold it for a Eletre perhaps…

• Like 1

My dealer says that Emiras are not temping (m)any Evora owners at all.  Myself included; I don't actually like the front end and I certainly don't see the need for big screens/more weight.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2022 at 14:43, Barrykearley said:

Well - drive mine with the new tailgate on today.

rear view is absolutely fine - far better than I expected. But the noise - oh wow - yes that’s very different indeed. The darker engine bay also makes the engine cover look almost alien.

Any photos?

Looking forward to fitting mine after Christmas, it really does look absolutely fantastic! 

Only one snag, I ordered the the miscellaneous parts to fit it from Bell & Colvill, but they didn't have the aluminium hinge stop bracket in stock stock so l will need to see if I can source it elsewhere.

I've since noticed the entire fitting kit including the stop bracket is available on the TLF shop, arrggh, I should have looked harder...

Thanks, I heard that it’s a bit of a bother to fit afterwards, so I guess I’ll just have to wait until it’s back in stock, hopefully it won’t be too long!

On another note, I was thinking about adding the carbon fibre sail panel to match the new tailgate ( I’ll avoid the Elise-shop one judging by the other thread…)

There seem to be a few alternatives to choose from such as Gregsraceparts, and an alternative by Carbon lotus. 

https://carbonlotus.com/product-category/lotus-evora/

They’re half the price of the ones at gregraceparts,  but as with may things in life you (sometimes) get what you pay for… Has anyone bought anything from them?

I have seen an Evora with the area wrapped, but although the pattern looked ok, the CF colour did not match.

In fairness to Carbon Lotus, I ordered a CF engine cover, as well as his CF door sills from him. I was very, very happy with both. The finish on them was very nice.

It took a while to get them since I believe they are made to order, but they were very well packed in a wooden structure within a heavy cardboard box. There was no damage in transit.

I will note that I did make my own embossed grille for the engine cover, as his is sold with a flat grille. I also used aluminum bar stock cut into spacers (as a filler underneath) to mount the CF door sills. Neither or which was a big deal. Especially since the S1s were not available with OEM CF door sills.

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, that engine cover does look good and it’s nice to hear of a positive experience with Carbon Lotus, thanks for the reply. 

I’m really tempted to see what the sail panel looks like (and I can have the engine cover panel also with the savings over the one from GRP…)

• Like 1

I took a shot in the dark hoping all went well since I hadn't heard feedback from anyone that ordered from him. But, as I stated it went fine for me. I had a few questions ahead of time and he replied pretty quickly to emails. Once shipped, the tracking updates kind of stopped and then they just showed up at my doorstep. I think they took a while to get through Customs.

Just keep in mind that the engine cover has the flat grille. Or, you can transfer over the grille from your existing cover. Although, its a pain to remove from the adhesive. I did that once already and didn't feel like going through it again.

Over Christmas I took off my CF tailgate and reinstalled the original for the rest of the winter months.

Firstly - it took far less time - literally half an hour with a mate to help support the weight.  In that respect I’m very pleased I fully kitted it out with the brake light etc.

What crossed my mind is two points:

1 - to what torque do you tighten the bolts (whether original or CF).

2 - I notice around the car, that various bolts that have green or blue marks on them.  I’m not sure if this is a quality control marking or an indication that they have to be to a certain torque.  Does anyone know?

Cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Searched but didn't find. Hoping this thread may become a resource for the literally 10's of others who may ever do this job.

I tried to fit my new carbon hatch tonight to my Evora S 2013.

First issue, can't remove the third brake light without:

A. Enlarging hole in the original Hatch so the plug on the end of the cable will fit,

B. Cutting plug off the light.

I didn't fancy either as I want to keep the original part/be able to swap back if needed, but am I missing a trick?

Also, how do you remove the soft padded panel needed to access the latch screws on the original Hatch. It took more than a medium level of force and I didn't want to snap anything if there's an approved method?

Rather hoped this would be an easy job.

Anyything else I'm likely to find when I get further?

• Gold FFM

Poke up a photo.

I bought a new third level brake light for mine and it was a simple job of spotting the cables and connectors through.

the big plug by the hinges though - had to cut that off my old tail gate and solder it onto the carbon one

• Like 1

Only here once

The thread Bibs suggested is a good place to look and within there is a link to a thread in Lotus talk that may be more helpful than my notes which are for the 400.

I took the option of buying a new centre brake light, boot latch and cover which allowed me to avoid removing/refitting the original items for true plug and play.  

However, if you do need to remove the upholstered trim on the underside of the boot lid, it looks like it is held by 7 plastic fir tree fixings which you’ll most likely need to prise apart with a plastic trim removal tool.  I haven’t done it myself but am basing this on the parts manual for the Evora 400. Experience with other trim panels is that if you are prising in the wrong place then it feels wrong, but if you get the tool in line with the (hidden) fixing it pops out relatively easily.  
I can’t help with the light fittings I’m afraid and would recommend adding one to your shopping list of uncomfortable with cutting wires etc.

IMG_4717.jpeg.5f25c2b518621c689d8704cd1c2b5328.jpegIMG_4716.jpeg.8903db6228da08422c12b2b6cc1e7291.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...