Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora - Spare wheel - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora - Spare wheel

Go to solution Solved by JAWS,

I'm planning a trip to the Nürburgring later this year and it struck me that with quite rare tyre sizes, getting a puncture could really ruin the trip.

Can You fit a full size spare in the car? What do people do?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
46 minutes ago, Niffty951 said:

Can You fit a full size spare in the car? What do people do?

Yes, a 19" rear will fit flat down in the passenger seat and still allow the door to close and allow gear changes. Not sure I'd want to drive 1000 miles like that though.

I'm sure it would also fit on the back seats if you moved the front seats forward.

Trouble with this idea is you'd need to take 2 wheels. An 18/19" combo or the 19/20" combo if you have the big boy. 

1 hour ago, thealastair34 said:

Most towns have a tyre garage, ive done over 10,000 miles in my Elise in europe with nothing more than a can of tyre weld

Unfortunately when this happens the tyre weld is about as useful as a fart in a space suit.

20230101_155659.jpg

• Haha 1

That's wild, any idea why it failed like that? Manufacturing defect or damaged? I had one blow out on me some years ago but never did figure out why. Ended up going sideways along the M8 at one o'clock in the morning. Skid marks on more than just the road.....

• Haha 2

• Solution
On 06/02/2023 at 11:04, Rambo said:

Yes, a 19" rear will fit flat down in the passenger seat and still allow the door to close and allow gear changes. Not sure I'd want to drive 1000 miles like that though.

I'm sure it would also fit on the back seats if you moved the front seats forward.

Trouble with this idea is you'd need to take 2 wheels. An 18/19" combo or the 19/20" combo if you have the big boy. 

You can actually get a spare wheel for the Evora. It's a legal requirement for Gulf state cars.

It's the 19" front wheel/tyre which can be used on either the front or rear. You wouldn't be using it in anger though, just a get home job.

• Thanks 1

Breakdown cover and a can of tyre weld and a foot pump will do you, and you’ll avoid the fifth wheel issue. 
I’ve never known a problem and have been many times often in convoy and it Sounds like you’ve been before anyway so you’ll know the roads are good.
 Only once did a mate need new tyres and we went to “Tyre Trade Center am Nürburgring”, a top place and not bad prices considering where they are.  You could for peace of mind call ahead if you need to check if they have your sizes in stock.  

On 06/02/2023 at 11:54, Rambo said:

Unfortunately when this happens the tyre weld is about as useful as a fart in a space suit.

20230101_155659.jpg

Subject to the age of the tyre, Is there any procedure to report this to Yokohama as how can that be anything other than a manufacturing defect? 

Take tyres instead of tyres of wheels? Garages around the area can fit if you have a problem - a bit more hassle than taking a full spare, but weighing up the risk vs hassle…..?

I’ve carried 2x rears (285/30/20) in my car. One on the passenger seat, one on the back seat. I was only going 40miles - had I been going further they’d have required to be better tied down. One in the front obscured the passenger wing mirror a bit.