Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Price increase - Page 2 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Price increase

New Emira

40 minutes ago, Al_C said:

So am I right in thinking if you apply this price rise announced across onto the entry level cars that a base model i4 is going to effectively rise in price to a similar level as a launch Edition car was originally?

It is a £6K increase

Lotus stubbornly are not releasing a "base" price (for the car coming Q3 '23!) but if that is the increase, then £66K plus the options you want (rather than "all in") probably hits £73k, the old LE price

19 hours ago, simonb said:

the MD statement was

I commit to you that these costs will not be passed on to you, the price you are being quoted will be the price you pay for your emira. That is a promise

That video has the makings of being a classic.....for all the wrong reasons.

With a clearly blatant disregard for what was originally said, maybe a career in politics would be better suited 

19 minutes ago, Simon Bateman said:

career in politics would be better suited 

think Scotland is looking for a new leader.

Will be interesting to see (hopefully in the next few months...years..) what the base prices will be for a V6 or i4. As a manual V6 would still be of interest to get the last manual petrol Lotus.

Maybe it's not the high inflation, energy crisis, supply-chain woes and Ukraine conflict etc and their commensurate impact on cost of production that's to blame for the Emira pricing u-turn.

Perhaps its growing concern at Hethel Towers about potentially spiralling costs from warranty claims... 😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

A well balanced view and we are aligned on a number of points. There is a lot of talent at Lotus and undoubtedly Windle is under a lot of pressure to deliver.

Would I have done things differently in his position? Possibly, but that is only with the benefit of hindsight. I imagine when he took the role that he never thought that he’d have to comprehend with part supply issues or rampant inflation.

Making unconditional public promises to customers (on YouTube!) about pricing guarantees, as many economies were enduring inflation levels not seen for many years, wasn’t the smartest move by the MD.

• Like 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-23) Lotus Emira FE 400 (23-..)

1 hour ago, Trevsked said:

Lotus have shown the Tesla route for customer purchasing which works fine for daily cars but cars purchased with a passion, the buying experience is diluted and I don’t think works. This is part of the upset I would say. Then Lotus decide to appeal to a wider market but under deliver in terms of quality and customer service then increased the the cost of disappointment :-). It’s not like the story gets any better, just keeps giving customers more reasons to cancel.

I do think Emira could be a great car, after all it’s built on a proven base, all they had to do was change the body style, make it a little more useable as a daily and instal some modern reliable infotainment. It’s fair to say they launched into a difficult period and £2k uplift if I understand correctly, isn’t a large amount in my view, but it does represent the last straw for many. 

I ask myself, would I order another and if they sort out the various minor issues experienced by some and start to deliver cars in a timely fashion at a known cost, then possibly. 

Odd, as when old Lotus had no money and were the butt of most car enthusiasts jibes, they were capable of delivering fabulous cars when they said they would and at a cost that was quoted. Expansion really hasn’t gone well has it.

Trevor.

£6k price increase. 

• Like 2

My own view on this is that Lotus are still making an acceptable margin on the V6, based on the original list price.

I'd be surprised if they are paying Toyota more for the V6 engine than they are for the AMG unit.

I could be completely wrong, but maybe this is more about the I4 margins in the longer term.

They could also be realising there will be additional costs as a result of the development programme for the 2.0L car and they would be slaughtered if they now offered the two cars for effectively the same or similar price.

• Like 1

£6k rise is roughly in line with the UK CPIH inflation rate for the 12 months to Jan 2023 (8.8%)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

My own view on this is that Lotus are still making an acceptable margin on the V6, based on the original list price.

Not sure how you can believe that, they will have had considerable cost increases since the launch price announcement whichever way you cut it.

I think people are missing the point - no one is doubting that costs may have increased, the point is that a commitment was made and does not appear to be being honoured. The rest is just an attempt to justify the price increase and the poor consistency in comms and treatment of deposit holders for the "product".

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

As a Lotus owner, but not a prospective Emira customer - my unemotional objective take is that the price rise was probably to be expected (and is reasonable), however - like much of the comms experienced by Emira deposit holders so far, what has fallen short is the standard of communications from the company and the way in which things have been done. 

Looking after your customers with respect, transparency and honesty isn't rocket science - but Lotus 2.0 seem to be making a right hash of it. Who on earth have they been hiring? Hard to believe this is a strategy from the top - feels more to me like a company that's simply mismanaged (at least on the customer service side of things, if not the design/development/manufacturing) 🤔

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I think people are missing the point - no one is doubting that costs may have increased, the point is that a commitment was made and does not appear to be being honoured. The rest is just an attempt to justify the price increase and the poor consistency in comms and treatment of deposit holders for the "product".

I couldn't agree more. Promises are promises and no one should renege on that.

(Unless you're SNP 🤔)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJON said:

Not sure how you can believe that, they will have had considerable cost increases since the launch price announcement whichever way you cut it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's certainly not clear cut. 

The prices of the two models have clearly been set by market. Probably Cayman S (for the 2.0 litre) and GTS for the V6. I don't for one minute think they get the cost price and then just apply a margin.....and bingo, it matches the competition.

The V6 is now so long in the tooth that I think it's basically 2 engines back from what Toyota are using themselves. It's reasonable to me that the new hand-built high power AMG unit, is costing Lotus the same or more than the Toyota unit.

Clearly the 4k gap between the two Lotus models is more about where they sit in the market and in terms of buyer perception of a fair cost uplift between them.

I'd be surprised if many people on here expect Lotus to make the same margin on both models.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jack Stone said:

£6k rise is roughly in line with the UK CPIH inflation rate for the 12 months to Jan 2023 (8.8%)

This misses the point though. Had they said the price was subject to change and inflation then I wouldn’t have an issue, however this wasn’t said and you even had Matt Windle all over youtube making promises that the price would not change despite rising costs.

Had I known the price I signed up to wasn’t fixed and subject to rise I may have chosen to have a Launch Edition car and been driving that car now as an early depositer. Instead I will wait around three years for my base spec car and probably pay more for less once I’ve added a black pack and some nice wheels.

Of course I can’t even say that for certain as they won’t tell us what the price will even be for the car now which only means they are leaving the door open for further increases.

Advertise a car starting at £60k take deposits and then more than 18 months later after taking deposits say you don’t know what the price will be but it will be much higher than we said, and in addition you will have to wait much longer than we said.

That level of treatment to your customers just cannot be justified. No problem with a price rise and a customer placing a deposit today then paying a higher price in full knowledge, but a deposit should be price protected and thus not change unless you state clearly otherwise (and not promising no change as Lotus did).

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 17:33, LOTUSMAN33 said:
1 hour ago, Al_C said:

This misses the point though. Had they said the price was subject to change and inflation then I wouldn’t have an issue, however this wasn’t said and you even had Matt Windle all over youtube making promises that the price would not change despite rising costs.

Had I known the price I signed up to wasn’t fixed and subject to rise I may have chosen to have a Launch Edition car and been driving that car now as an early depositer. Instead I will wait around three years for my base spec car and probably pay more for less once I’ve added a black pack and some nice wheels.

Of course I can’t even say that for certain as they won’t tell us what the price will even be for the car now which only means they are leaving the door open for further increases.

Advertise a car starting at £60k take deposits and then more than 18 months later after taking deposits say you don’t know what the price will be but it will be much higher than we said, and in addition you will have to wait much longer than we said.

That level of treatment to your customers just cannot be justified. No problem with a price rise and a customer placing a deposit today then paying a higher price in full knowledge, but a deposit should be price protected and thus not change unless you state clearly otherwise (and not promising no change as Lotus did).

You've quoted me out of context. Read my earlier post further up about the stupidity of the MD making promises he was obviously not going to be able to honour 🙃 

Edited by Jack Stone
Typo