Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira now fitted with Stealth Satin PPF and Ceramic Coating. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira now fitted with Stealth Satin PPF and Ceramic Coating.

Ha, I didn't love it at first. I thought 'OMG, the car has completely changed!' and then I started looking at it and wow, what an improvement.

Now I am very happy.

If you do wish to use GVE London then mention RevMoney10 for a 10& discount on any service.

They had to do a LOT of prep on my car as I had been driving it for quite a while at the point I dropped it in and the standard paint is NOT good.

Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Ha. It is the opposite. The paint is much smoother. I am definitely realising that you can't see the vast improvements over the standard paint in film and image.

Be interesting to get a report back from other owners on what a detailer thinks when they show it to them.

I miss everything as I am not a details person but I am expecting some horror stories.

The paint, straight out of the factory, is not as good as we hoped.

A detail is all that is actually needed.

I went much further than I had to, likely over-protective but I am delighted with the result and can finally sleep easy driving it.

17 minutes ago, Evotion said:

A detail is all that is actually needed.

I doubt you'll find any car which doesn't need a detail straight from the factory. Time pressures on OEM's mean that they can't spent a couple of days working on paint correction for every car. 

I spoke to a chap who was a detailer at McLaren and he said that he's given 15 mins per car to go over the paint. 

I think this is more a case that 'we' need to manage expectations better mate.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I expect to spend £80K and have a car that does NOT need a detail or the brakes redone as it has been left standing for too long!

Nobody should have to detail a new car when they get it. It should either be done at the factory or during PDI at the agent. The orange peel is bad but at least it can be sorted.  It is, I believe, just the lacquer anyway

Weirdly, the paint on the cars I originally saw twice at the factory didn't seem to have this  but then again I was not picking it up and going over the car with a fine toothcomb. Again, they might not have been lacquered.

Apart from that, the paint itself is magnificent in tone.

Nobody really needs to have their new car detailed. It’s more of a 21st century fad for those seeking perfection, perpetuated by the industry that has grown up during that time. You only have to take the car out onto the wintry UK roads and that perfection will be lost, unless you can afford to do it all over again.

By the way, I also had the paintwork detailed and PPF fitted from new to the car in my avatar. The proprietor said that the original Lotus paintwork was much better than many of the cars he saw, including mainstream premium brands like Audi. 8 years later, I have never touched the paintwork with any polish or suchlike, but it still looks fine to me, apart from the odd mark. I just clean it with normal bucket, sponge and hosepipe washes.

21 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I just clean it with normal bucket, sponge and hosepipe washes.

Others suggest....my post edited by another....

Certainly would not pressure wash mine near the rear window or anywhere really. Bucket (ideally x2, and with grit guards) and lambswool or microfibre mitt....maybe the odd hose.

I am too lazy.

I am hoping a foam and spray will now suffice. 

The emira really suffers on the rear hind, the side skirts and the rear (musty be aerodynamics). It as been a drama keeping clean. It was winter of course.  Nobody really needs to PPF or ceramic coat a car.

We don't have enough data yet on the robustness of the paint on an emira but I was just in a position to take that worry away.

• Like 1

Or don't do anything and when it comes to sell it have any damage repaired, probably cheaper😁

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Yes, that will be what happens to over half of Emira owners.  I do actually think you will NEVER get the value back from doing a PPF. It is not about that.

If they can live with the blemishes than that is great. I couldn't.

If I had the black-pack gloss roof, I would, at the very least, PPF that.

When we have a few hundred cars with over 2500 miles we will start to see whether this is really worth talking about.

No need to wait that long as it's really not worth talking about. Stop worrying about a perfect paint finish and just drive it.

It's like having a rugby kit on and refusing to play in case it gets dirty or ripped.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I quite like it @Evotion

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)