Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone got experience of the 981 GT4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone got experience of the 981 GT4

Phillv6

So I’m very happy with my 400 I’ve had for 2 years, however I keep wondering how would a GT4 compare  🤷‍♀️, as a Lotus owner it’s all about the drive for me hence why I’m in the 400. Would have to spend a fair bit to get into a car that’ll be 3 years older although it doesn’t bother me actually. 

Has anyone among us owned one ? or knows a friend who has maybe ? All comments gratefully received either good or bad.

Just to reiterate in more than happy with the Evora but curious about how good a GT4 would be, I only run one car so a daily but not intention of doing track days.

Cheers,

Phill

ab6bbfe8-ec9e-4c1e-a071-e0c49d4d610a.jpeg

Edited by Phillv6
Spelling
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A chum of mine went from Evora 410 to Cayman, though not GT4.

He is not a Cayman fan. No sense of occasion and dull driving experience compared to Lotus.

Justin 

Drove around in a 718 GT4 4.0L very nice indeed nice short throw box very precise and excellent build quality 420 bhp very impressed .Everybody on here seems to knock porsche I've been lucky enough to drive quite a few 

All the caymans the 4 cyl ones not great to be honest and wasn't impressed with the 911 bit heavey even the 911T with no back seats and beautiful carbon front seats see below , seemed heavy and loads of road noise .

Boxster ok the 3.8L spider was good but stupid roof looks cool with the flying canvas buttresses but absolutely rubbish to put up in real life 

Would I have one yes have I got one no love my S2 Exige 240bhp plenty and fun more visceral and in some way seems more special but that's just my view 

Oh and the 981 is quite easey to service except coolant change is a propper mess about 

IMG_20200308_103718933_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_102708531.jpg

IMG_20200308_102522844_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_102720869.jpg

20181210_154002.jpg

20190217_094104.jpg

On 08/07/2023 at 13:12, Bruss said:

GT4 is better on track, dull on the road for me.

Al lot of youtube reviews said what you said.They say Cayman is more "PRECISE"...

I am only talking about suspension, engine is a different topic :)

So what can be done to correct this? 

1) Upgrade to Ohlins TTX coilovers?

2) Replace the Front/Rear Whishbones with aftermarket to get more camber etc? (blackwatchracing.com)

3) 

Edited by phenoyz

• Gold FFM

I should pre-state I have a positive Porsche bias. A car has to be noticably better to get me out of one.

I went in with high expectations to the 981 GT4, expected to be in love, which is always a mistake. I came away very numb. I think the factory exhaust sounds phoney and digital, the gears are so long that if you hang onto 2nd out of a roundabout you're soon seeing 1 too many digits and not really feeling the joy and the cabin feels like there is a lot around you in all directions. You sit far from the glass which stops the car 'shrinking' like an older 911 or early Cayman does.

On the plus side, the performance is well judged, the seats are excellent, the car is significantly more practical for a long trip than the Evora (luggage space with the front boot and long parcel area is superb) and the creature comforts of the interior do not leave you wanting.

Handling, both cars are excellent, the approach is different. The evora moving in a more 2d way.

Be aware general servicing and parts are more in a Porsche. I have the feeling main dealers are like london taxis, the bill meter starts at £1000 and then you add whatever job you asked to be done.

Summary: As per above. Better suited on track, less engaging on the road

There is a GT4 in same club as my 410 Sport and have been on several track days at same time.  In terms of outright lap times there isn’t much in it. I would say GT4 is slightly quicker.  I have only been on track as a passenger in the GT4 but it is impressive.  Can’t comment on brake and steering feel but can say that suspension is very firm which means less roll on track but it also transmitted a lot of lumps and bumps into the cabin.  The engine/exhaust note wasn’t as rousing as the 410.  I wasn’t left lusting after one but I would be happy to own one.

Think you’d need to ask an engineer and also be a lot more specific about what you mean by ‘superior design’. Weight? Packaging? Stiffness? Etc

As you know it doesn’t matter though, it’s about how you feel about the/a car 

• Like 2

On 09/07/2023 at 00:32, Phillv6 said:

So I’m very happy with my 400 I’ve had for 2 years, however I keep wondering how would a GT4 compare  🤷‍♀️, as a Lotus owner it’s all about the drive for me hence why I’m in the 400. Would have to spend a fair bit to get into a car that’ll be 3 years older although it doesn’t bother me actually. 

Has anyone among us owned one ? or knows a friend who has maybe ? All comments gratefully received either good or bad.

Just to reiterate in more than happy with the Evora but curious about how good a GT4 would be, I only run one car so a daily but not intention of doing track days.

Cheers,

Phill

ab6bbfe8-ec9e-4c1e-a071-e0c49d4d610a.jpeg

Just Love the colour Combo

Great write up @Phillv6 and it seems to be impartial which is commendable.

I've no doubt the GT4 is a wonderful car, and I know that @blindside has really enjoyed his alongside his Evoras.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Great write up @Phillv6 and it seems to be impartial which is commendable.

I've no doubt the GT4 is a wonderful car, and I know that @blindside has really enjoyed his alongside his Evoras.

Agree about the noise from the Supercharged V6 & Janspeed exhaust being something special. The steering in the Evora 400/410/430 also has more driver input ‘feel’ than the GT4. Apart from that the (718) GT4 was preferable for me as a practical all round performance car. Also definitely better as an occasional track car. 
I kept the GT4 for a couple of years and it provided a great entry point into the whole Porsche GT car scene which is utterly addictive. That said I wouldn’t part with my 430 despite all its foibles. 

• Like 2

I’d just add that really the Sport 410 is more of a direct comparison to the GT4 IMO. The other 4xx should really be compared to the cayman/boxster GTS 4 litre. 

• Like 2

@bosshog yeah I can appreciate what you are saying but I was comparing my 2018 400 with the 981 GT4 as that was my situation, even though the 981 is 3 years older than my 400 there would still be around a £20k cost to swap. I like the rawness of an analogue car which is why I considered the 981 I can’t see the 718 gts providing that really.