Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira I4 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira I4

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Only for anyone that doesn’t already have a deposit down and config locked in by 11th August, but just in time for the i4 launch at Goodwood tomorrow…..

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

Strange that for the big launch at Goodwood, they didn't have a running I4 anywhere and weirdly just one Emira on a stand that could easily have coped with a couple of more Emiras or at least one V6?

The I4 on the stand looked exactly as the V6 except there was an ugly, heat enclosing plastic cover totally hiding any engine in the engine bay (was there an engine even in there?).

I like many have been down for one of these for ages now and even though the other day I saw a short video what may have been an I4 being tested in Austria, there still seems very little sign of the I4 actually really being released and yet again, there is another price rise on its way and I am being pressured by Lotus to decide on the details of my car and, into having a launch edition, which I never wanted (I can only assume that's happened as so many people have dropped out).

I (and I'm sure I';m not alone on this with long term Lotus owners) do not in any way, want a launch edition of any Lotus. I love them and enjoy modifying out errors/quirks built in by Lotus, but can only imagine what the launch editions of any of their cars along the way must have been like, so its looking more and more like I'm about to give up on this.

• Gold FFM

I believe that the i4 engine cover is designed for thermal management, so yes, heat-enclosing to a point, but it also hides this :

IMG_E3595.JPG.e706a16855f2e5e081294f293d652909.JPG

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

• Gold FFM
6 minutes ago, Bibs said:

It's actually a lovely looking engine I think! 

From the other side, without the AMG cover - I believe that the underside of the Lotus cover will help with airflow like the AMG cover does......... 😉

inside-the-most-powerful-production-four-cylinder-in-the-world-2019-09-11_14-35-51_487925.jpg

Also :

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

This is worth a watch too (360bhp in the Emira of course) :

Seems I missed that run, shame the bloke talked the whole time over it. 

Sadly thats not the engine covers they use, its a properly plain ugly thing.

Good to see a real car in action, thank you.

Shame it seems Lotus have lost a lot of money and are laying off 200 people. Lets hope they can sort things out and get going fully.

• Gold FFM

So after reading the article, am I understanding it correctly and that the Emira may not make it to Australia?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, ramjet said:

So after reading the article, am I understanding it correctly and that the Emira may not make it to Australia?

There are a few V6’s already delivered in Australia - pricing here :

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-AU/emira

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

Sadly thats not the engine covers they use, its a properly plain ugly thing.

I’m pretty sure it hasn’t changed since the Seneca blue launch car (with no engine) was shown at Hethel 2 years ago….

IMG_4581.jpeg.c63dbf51057094ef5e2e0e80fda070a1.jpeg

• Like 1

Just watching Harrys Garage comparing the 2 cars but Im sorry to say Im a bit lost to what the difference is other than the V6 sounds better but other than that are they not basically the same but one has 4 and one has 6 cylinders?

I know there are differences in the the engines but what would make someone buy one over the other?

Seem too close to each other is what I am wondering?

One they can sell until 2030 or thereabouts, the other (V6) they can't. And lots of buyers don't want a manual. 

I assume the 4 pot will be tuned to close to 500bhp eventually. 

Justin 

• Like 1

Cheers I guess the twin plate clutch might be tempting for some. Does look good in auto mode.

So as of right now thats the choice is it? V6 howl or autobox?

Im not being facetious by the way. Ive not really looked at the Emira much and just wondered as there didn't seem much between them.

The longevity of the 4cylinder I can understand. 

I wonder if there will be more life in the V6 as the growth to move away from electric increases?

From the Harry’s Garage review the auto box in manual mode looked pretty ropey, short ratios and sluggish shift doesn’t look like a lot of fun. But that whole review was pretty lame, they spent a lot of time going over the niggles. For what they’re now asking, the car looks poor value and not overly engaging, but looks nice. You pays your money …

Don't recall Harry etc talking about the difference in PAS, an other video posted from some US guys driving around Hethel said the i4 is electric PAS, where as the V6 is old skool...They both preferred the V6. And were not overwhelmed by the DCT in the i4.

The review suggested it was hydraulic (same rack as V6) but the hydraulic pressure/flow is provided by an electric pump, rather than an engine mounted mechanical pump.

Presumably no space for a mech pump on the 4 banger

Getting Older!