Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'm buying a new car. - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

I'm buying a new car.

I rented a Toyota Rav4 in Nairobi in August that had tinted front windows - why, just why, that was so dangerous, I could hardly see out, especially at night, and I had to open the window to do so - which is not what you should be doing in Nairobi at night - or anytime to be honest.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In the UK it is a legal requirement that front windscreens have to let at least 75% of the light through.

On a sunny day I will put my sun glasses on and if I am driving through into the night I start to realise how hard it is to see things so I just whip off the sun glasses. I wouldn't be able to cope with a tinted front windscreen.

• Gold FFM

Illegal to tint your windscreen in Australia. There was a time when you can put a strip across the top of the window about 10mm wide. Haven't seen that for years.

I have had tinted front windows in several cars and have never had an issue with vision.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If properly done, a (light) tint on the front windows works fine. But it's illegal over here as well... I had them on a Rangie I bought in UK (with valid MOT) and she failed the TC over here. I couldn't get the bloody stuff off, so just fitted a different set of windows to be done with it.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Ok. Opinions.

Fair ask for dealer to repair (warranty?) or wear and tear?

Picked the car up on November 3rd. Only run between home and work. About 5mm at deepest point.

0210B878-0125-42A9-B3B2-97DB975246C3.jpeg.dbd3277bf919d21743a7fe4036511e34.jpeg

F5C45F44-86BF-4ED4-A7DC-D4A7DF2A774A.jpeg.ef72be94decc410fc1559f1f1f97d58b.jpeg

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If you can prove that the damage is due to a manufacturing flaw, then it would be reasonable to expect a replacement. However, the dealership will probably argue that the damage was caused by hitting a kerb, pothole or some other road hazard. The good news is that the rim protector seems to have done its job and saved the wheel from further damage.

Unfortunately, it's quite common to experience such issues with low-profile tyres and poorly maintained roads. In some cases, people have even gone to the extent of arguing with the local authorities to get compensation for damaged wheels, tyres, and suspension components due to the condition of the roads...but that's another world of pain.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Read about some of those things. Dealer has said that the service department says you see this a lot. I have never seen it before.

Service department also said it is no issue. There is the lightest mark on the rim and I seem to recall not being able to avoid running over something in my lane at one time. I have not kerbed any of the rims or bumped into a kerb anywhere.

Odd.

We've had 7 tyres damaged this year on our works wagon. Focus estate. One vehicle, one driver, city driving.  Crazy and to me seemingly impossible but what can you do? 

That is indeed life, no rhyme or reason to it at times.

The wheel on yours is clearly marked so you've hit something even if not your fault or even aware. 

Justin 

You should have checked the tyres when you picked it up. I don’t see any dealer repairing/replacing that 7 weeks later free of charge. I always seem to get a nail or screw in a tyre a few weeks after I buy a brand new car. It’s very annoying!

• Gold FFM

Yeah. Que Sera Sera.

It's not going down at all so I'll just wait it out. Might get some black silicon to see if I can make it look a bit better. I'm thinking about the route I take home and there is one really nasty part of road on an overpass that I go over. I now travel in the other lane to avoid it. That might be what it was.

Don't be stupid, don't even drive the car with a gash like that on the sidewall. Over here, that sidewall damage would be an instant MOT failure. 

And filling it in with black mastic isn't going to do anything other than cosmetic.

Get a replacement tyre. Your life, your family and others depend on it.

Sidewalls do flex on every rotation and going round corners will put it under greater stress, along with acceleration and breaking stresses. There will be heat build up and that is now a weak point so will probably have greater heat build up.

It doesn't appear to have gone through to the carcass but it's not possible to see under the surface if it has caused damage.

Would you risk a blow out? Is it a front or rear tyre?

• Gold FFM

image.png.b362ea051aec2fec65049015702bc963.png

Having examined the damage in great detail, I've come to the conclusion that it's not damage at all, it's a fanny sculpture.

• Haha 2

A dirty mind is a joy forever! 😄

More on topic, I have to concur with the above, you do not want to take risks with tyre safety. On the other hand, it does not look too bad/ deep, you're not tracking the Skoda (I presume) so it will probably be fine, especially on the rear. A slow leak is more likely than a blowout, there is no sign of bulging so it would seem the internal structure is not damaged.

Maybe look at it another way: are the other tyres new enough so you'd only need to replace one? Or are they worn enough to be replaced soon anyway? And can you easily afford to replace one/ two/ four tyres? And would you want to worry about the damage each time you're driving your new car?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

You could risk a high speed (over 50mph) blow out for the sake of £150-£200. Not worth it at all. Your life, and anyone else's is worth more than that.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I see where you're coming from, but have to disagree Mark. The front tyres are needed for steering, do most of the braking and in this case also the traction and support most of the weight. So I'd want those to be as reliable as possible.

On 21/12/2023 at 13:15, mg4lotus said:

A front tyre blow out will give you understeer. A rear tyre blow out will give you oversteer and will probably be more dangerous.

And putting on a new tyre will give you neither, probably save yours, or someone elses life or from serious injury.

I cannot believe anything is being debated here. That bloody tyre needs to be replaced, and pronto. No silicone. No band aid. Nothing. just replace it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!