Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Binnacle wiring loom, wire gauge size? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Binnacle wiring loom, wire gauge size?

• Gold FFM

Does anyone know the gauge/size of the electrical wires used in the binnacle loom? Also, does anyone know if you can get (and where from) the correct colours with the correct chaser colour? e.g black with white chaser

thanks in advance.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

There are only very small currents going to the instruments, the most important probably for the lights (unless you fit LEDs). So the thinnest wire that is still sturdy enough to be handled will do just fine.

I have a few old wiring looms handy to get the correct colors. None of an Esprit dash though. You could look at companies like https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/https://www.autosparks.co.uk/ or https://www.rdae.nl/, they have a pretty extensive range.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the links Filip, I’ll have a look into those.

I was wondering if the gauge was something like 2mm squared or less even?

Most of the wires in the binnacle are a lot less, .75mm² or even .50mm². A 2mm² wire can handle up to 20A, that's enough for headlights without relays. And the SE uses relays for all high current applications. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I would look into TXL wiring if you're going to be replacing any major part of the loom. It's a thinner shielding but higher heat resistance and very flexible. Just makes the job easier and more tidy. Might have to hunt around for the colors but a lot of options on Amazon. 20 or 22awg would be good though, not sure what that is in those fancy mm² sizes though 😂

20awg is 0.50mm², so we're all agreeing here. 🙂

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Many thanks for all the reply’s.

The reason I wanted to know is I’m not going to rewire the binnacle loom but, I might have to extend a bit of the loom. Currently I cannot see the boost gauge without stooping my head so that I can see under the top of the steering wheel (I’m 6’ 3”). I was thinking of moving the boost gauge to another location in the dash (not decided where yet) and would possibly need to extend the wiring loom to some of the other gauges after the move. I want to keep the loom colouring as close as possible to original and the overall finish to not looked bodged!

p.s I did toy with the idea of lowering the seat by removing the sliding mechanism but, the seat back reclining wheel would foul the sill.

• Like 1

I made an offset steering wheel hub to regain the view of the top of my gauges. It put the wheel ~16mm higher relative to the column centerline. Just a spacer with two offset screw patterns. They're commercially available for the common six screw patterns (Momo/Nardi?) But I don't know how the '91 mounts its wheel, it might not work for you.

• Gold FFM

That is interesting @snowrx. I have replaced my original Nardi steering wheel with a Momo via an adapter boss but, I was unaware that there was an adapter available to raise the steering wheel. Do you have any photos? Does the raised position of the steering wheel mean it hits your knees/legs when using a lot of steering lock?

7 hours ago, Gjk said:

I was thinking of moving the boost gauge to another location in the dash (not decided where yet) and would possibly need to extend the wiring loom to some of the other gauges after the move.

From my experience those gauges fall to pieces when you remove them. The plastic doesn't age well.

Might be worth running a vacuum line and a mechanical gauge.

• Gold FFM

I have had all the gauges out of the binnacle and all are in good condition. I was just thinking of possibly swapping the boost and fuel gauge positions over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gjk said:

I have had all the gauges out of the binnacle and all are in good condition. I was just thinking of possibly swapping the boost and fuel gauge positions over.

I swapped the clock, which was right in front, with the boost, which was on the left & hidden by the wheel, on my S4s :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

That is the kind of swap I was thinking of @jonwat but, I’m not sure if the fuel gauge would look out of place in the centre of a SE dashboard! 🥴 decisions, decisions…   🤯

• Confused 1

Here's a few pic's, two commercial and my rough cast approximation.  I don't notice the eccentricity, most of the time the wheel is in upper 3/4 of travel. I've removed the sliders from my seat, 6' 1" with a 33" inseam, but in the older 1985 G-car.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Thank you @snowrx. I didn’t realise offset adapters were available. I’ll have a look here in the UK for a supplier and if not too expensive I might take a punt on one. I already have an adapter fitted for the MOMO steering wheel I have. The offset adapter may be an easier alternative to swapping gauges and adapting the loom.

When I was looking around to buy an Esprit, I went to see one S4s where the owner had somehow tilted the entire binnacle up so he could see the gauges better. Unfortunately, it was 10 years ago, so I can’t remember whether it was a successful mod.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

The only way I can envisage tilting the binnacle upwards would be some kind of wedge shaped tapping plate between the scuttle beam and binnacle. 

TBH, I just need a shorter spine.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gjk said:

The only way I can envisage tilting the binnacle upwards would be some kind of wedge shaped tapping plate between the scuttle beam and binnacle. 

TBH, I just need a shorter spine.

. . . for any who have yet to learn how great it is to drive a Lotus. 😁

• Like 1

Shorter spine is a bit extreme; as to lowering your eyeline, here's what I made to replace the seat sliders, which on my car sat on a set of spacer washers which also could be deleted.  We sturdy folk were not the target Lotus market<_<

Could contain:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

If I could lower my seat @snowrx I would, it’d solve all my problems. The only reason I can’t is that the seat recline handle/knob would hit the sill!

Could contain:

• Gold FFM

I'm sure it would squeeze down in there Grahame, adjust it to fit you perfectly, added bonus, you can tell us shortass's we won't be able to reach the pedals if we ask for a go.😃

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM
22 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

you can tell us shortass's we won't be able to reach the pedals if we ask for a go.😃

I don’t think the pedals would be a problem, just seeing over the top of the binnacle 😃

I will have a look and see if I can fettle the back of the seat adjustment wheel to make it thinner and sit closer to the seat. It would be so much easier to drop the height of the seat.

• Like 1

the sills are removable...you could modify it to clear the knob if you wanted to lower your seat.  you could probably just remove the seat and cut the carpet, peel it away from the sill where you want to modify it in situ without removing the sill...

here is a pic from my LHD SE

image.jpeg.7062dcd6ade3a8d894c4e8e74ea3fbb2.jpeg

• Like 1

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

• Gold FFM
48 minutes ago, ragingfool35 said:

remove the seat and cut the carpet

Don't you dare do it @Gjk, I'll send Sharon up there to sort you out. :angry:

• Haha 1