Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 36 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

^ that'd be interesting.

Deviations from originality aside, this is the first S2 that has come up on ebay since June 2015. The bidders seem to know it too as they were almost immediate, which is great news given nearly everything about it has been played with. Ok the bids are still a bit low, but then the auction isn't active long and the reserve hasn't been met. You might know this car from such candid Youtube videos as "Lotus Esprit S2 240 hp" and "Lotus Esprit S2, my little toy", featuring the memorable quotes: "that's like your engine burning or something", "it's about us having an adventure with a stupid car", and; "the car almost burned", in which an S3 steering wheel and original gear knob are still present.

So three years on and the prices continue to rise - here's the state of play as I see it in 2016:

S1's - in good order - (2013 - £25 to £40k) 2016 - £35k - £55k 

S2's and S3's - (2013 - £10 to £16k) 2016 - £17k - £27k

X180's > (2013 - £10k) 2016 - £15k - £20k

SE's > (2013 - £12k) 2016 - £16k - £22k

S4's > (2013 - £16k) 2016 - £20k - £25k

S4S > (2013 - £19k) 2016 - £25k - £30k

V8's > (2013 - £19k) 2016 - £28k - £35k

There are also derivatives that are exceeding these prices by a long mark. Particularly S3 Turbos and V8's and various flavours. The fact is as well some of these models just simply don't seem to be available very often and more. Naturally I'm always interested to see how S4's are moving, but I see very few for sale. Here's hoping for a continuation!

• Like 1

My impression is that up until 2013/2014 most offerings were for cars basically in need of repair and/or restoration. In contrast, most recent offerings seem to have this process behind them. Obviously the sellers are seeking recovery (and then some) for their investment.

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-v8-gt-very-rare-lotus-build-car---------------2000/5576511?v=c

Price reduced!

love the way its described as a "Lotus Build" car - on fairness not many other people made many of them!

It does look a beautiful car, but price is very very strong - I'm pretty sure this is the dealer that has/had the "Naomi Campbell" evora on for somewhere around 100K. - ridiculous

There does seem to be a few V8s floating around at the mo. personally id love one, only thing scaring me is the fact that one sizeable maintenance bill is the same as the purchase price of a G car!

We all know the V8 could push out more power with the limiting factor being the Renault boxes they "found" every so often. In reality the V8 could have been a beast of car but was ultimately flawed like so many esprit versions which is unfortunate

I think few would argue that the Sport 300 is "the One" in light of  accolades and purity of the esprit experience - The market certainly suggest this!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

What about my Yellow Peril, S3, went to a private collection. Two days later on ebay for 25k. I now she was good but bloody hell. 100% markup. Good luck to the guy if he get's though.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what this does:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-lotus-esprit-s4s----------------1996/6043861?v=c

but surely that's the car that was for sale from Stocks for what seemed like years? That one definitely had tinted windows and a similar mileage. Wasn't there some story attached to it?

Yes sorry, Barry Ely's. Peter Parker couldn't have had it long. I thought there was a story attached to that car which helped explain why it didn't sell?

• Gold FFM
On 12/10/2013 at 16:29, rizla603104 said:

I don't know if I've woken up in the twilight zone - but every Esprit I see for sale (even the ropey ones) seem to be going for lots and lots of money.....

S1's - in good order - £25 to £40k

S2's and S3's - £10 to £16k

X180's > £10k

SE's > £12k

S4's > £16k

S4S >£19k

V8's >£19k

What's happened? Does anyone know - is it because the good ones are less and so they're worth more?

Has James Bond declared he's buying an X180 for the next film?

As a footnote there are also some absolute howlers for sale at the moment who seem to think that they have equally good cars and seem to be trying to cash in on the price increase too.

Look at this post now, 2 years later and you can see the differences, 19k for a V8 I wish. I started looking last summer, when average cars were in the low 20s. Found this lovely GT and tried to haggle, although I had a budget of 25k, I went to 26.5,  I was told straight, screen price, no less, 20151107_153249.jpg or on yer bike!

How many cars can command this type of pricing. I walked away and eventually found my car (with boost gauge), under budget in March this year.

45 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Yes sorry, Barry Ely's. Peter Parker couldn't have had it long. I thought there was a story attached to that car which helped explain why it didn't sell?

I enquired about this S4S back in February, I was told it sold for 50k.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

How many cars can command this type of pricing. I walked away and eventually found my car (with boost gauge), under budget in March this year.

I enquired about this S4S back in February, I was told it sold for 50k.

Less important but still somewhat costly on the 4 pots is the documented works done to the car. A v8 is a bloody leech on you wallet if it needs work. A cheap one is not necessarily a cheap one a few months into ownership !! These can hide all sorts of very expensive problems - and tears before bed is a common old thing.

i was warned - I'm daft and still bought mine - but by god I still spent more than I thought. Luckily - I'm daft !!, love my car and the figures still worked out just lovely.

heres a beauty of car !!

Only here once

I'm always wary of service histories. There's an awful lot of "Check condition of (insert bit of the car of your choice here)", but that's just a claim that someone has looked at it, it doesn't guarantee that anything was actually attended to, if it needed it. The thing is, ALL Esprits are old cars, even that lovely blue S4s is 20 years old, and not everything is covered by the service sheets, far from it, and pretty much everything deteriorates with age.

I don't believe that low mileage and service history is necessarily a guarantee of condition or reliability, as no doubt a few of us, myself included, have discovered to our (serious) cost.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

:yes: @ian29gte absolutely correct - that very v8 above had a lovely documented history and sadly it's still having to have its lump pulled out - I really feel the pain having been there :angry:

• Like 1

Only here once