Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
USA - never been before - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

USA - never been before

ChrisJ

Thought I'd take this out of the Holidays 2024 thread as it might be of more general  interest.

For me specifically, my daughter is looking at the USA for university starting 2024, and we want to visit them first - just after Easter, and have a 10-14 day window. All these universities are in the east - ATM, Ohio, Pennsylvania New York. I'm thinking of flying in/out of Baltimore (or maybe Boston) - as the cheapest flight is with Fly Play via Iceland for < £400 - and then looking at a road trip with a Dodge Charger or similar (has to be a V8 "sports" car) - there will be only the two of us, AND Boston & Baltimore have the vehicles.

Any thoughts from the more knowledgeable?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Been 4 times, 1973  - a very long time ago,  to Washington DC, NYC, Niagara falls (both sides) Buffalo NY state, Columbus Ohio   (and into Canada - Toronto), must admit was not impressed was ok. Ohio was better than NY city and Washington DC.

Also visited Disney in Florida - not my scene. Had a rental property.

Las Vegas, Wine country and San F - first time down the west coast.

Last time was 2001, San F and Hawaii.(and up to Vancouver) Preferred Hawaii to San F, but was a bit warm.

Used to go to Cincinnati Ohio a couple of times a year as the company I worked for was based there.

Downtown Cincinnati was just a typical US metro city centre, though we did stay at the Hilton which has one of the very best preserved art deco bar and restaurant interior in the US.

The suburbs could be very nice to spend time wandering around, drinking coffee etc.

If you're flight is with Iceland Air then my daughter, who did her degree in Nova Scotia, Canada, used them a lot to fly back and forth. Never an issue but not the most salubrious.

If you can, book with a UK / European airline. American airlines can be truly shite when things start to go awry and flights from the mid-west can get affected a lot by the weather which puts planes in all the wrong locations. With American airlines it's usually a "tough shit" policy and we'll book you when we can approach. With UK/ European they are obligated to compensate and accommodate iirc.

My daughter absolutely loved her time over there and has made many friends across Canada as a result. As she works for BA she gets the opportunity to keep in touch physically by meeting them in Vancouver, Calgary, Ontario etc.  Hopefully your daughter will fair similarly well in the US.

I forgot to add, the major pain is that if you are flying in to US, then getting an internal connection, you need to allow plenty (and I mean plenty) of time between flights. You need to collect your luggage and go through immigration at your first port of call. The baggage and then the immigration queues can be a nightmare!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Avoid bucket shops and flight ticket agents. Always book flights directly with the airline. If anything goes awry, you then stand a decent chance of getting it put right. Make sure you have travel insurance that covers you for any medical stuff and repatriation. If you need car parking, check the hotels for overnight and parking deals. I’ve used Holiday Extras and APH before. For car rentals, I used Qeeq with success last time around. I found most agents are cheaper than going direct to the car rental companies. You can get your own insurance rather than buying theirs.

Now it’s over to Sparky……

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Agreed ref flight booking.  Even I've used Kayak before (to Newfoundland) and it was fine, but if it goes wrong you are likely to have major issues. and nobody to talk to.  When you have dates, speak to me and I MAY be able to get you a modest discount direct with BA.  On that note, roughly when?

Baltimore airport is a nice alternative to the biggies.

I love NY and PA, but must confess I find OH a bit sedate.  MA drivers are insane, especially around Boston (apols to MA members but you know it's true).  If you're driving between MA and NY, don't be fooled into thinking the 95 is the easiest route!

USA car rental is a bit of a lottery and operates very much on the 'or similar' principle.  Obtaining a specific vehicle type can be vexatious.  Don't buy the fuel up front; return it full.  Refuse ALL extras at the counter, and ensure you see this on paper before signing.  Buy additional rental insurance here before travelling.

Buy a US mobile SIM in the UK (Amazon works) and if possible take a spare phone for it.  The one I had recently even gave free international calls.

Hotel prices in the US are waaay higher than they used to be, and you'll really get nailed in city centres and especially near any campus.  Unless you have very specific geographical requirements, stay on the periphery where hotels/motels with parking are abundant.  Generally, metro transportation links are excellent and cheap.  Use hotel booking sites (I favour Hotels.com and Booking.com), check amenities and ratings, then compare with direct bookings as occasionally it's cheaper.  Generally there are so many rooms available (especially East Coast) that I wouldn't bother booking until 1 or 2 days before.  This leaves your itinerary nice and fluid.

That 7-mile trip to the campus in the morning?  It'll take longer than you think as there's a light every 300 yards that will steal 2 minutes of your life...

No doubt there are plenty of US members that know more than i!  But if you want anything else, or specifics, let me know...

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Remember to fully read up on the "driving rules" too. IIRC in some states/counties it is illegal, for instance, to drive past a stationary school bus. That's an instant ticket if caught.

And watch that speed! You really don't wanna get caught out.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I have read elsewhere that it is better to book a car through the UK entity than with the US one - i.e. enterprise.co.uk - as you get the extras included in the price. I already have worldwide car hire insurance - but I need to check if this will cover the USA as I may have dropped the N America cover off at the last renewal - ditto travel insurance, which I definitely did.

Was initially looking to fly internally to Harrisburg - closest to Uni 1, but the extra cost of the internal flight, and the potential for borkage as mentioned above has me looking at one of the main airports for both arrival & departure. 

Dates are 2/4 -> 15/4. I have a BA Executive Club Voucher that expires on 2/4 - with that & some Avios I have it is £100 more than PLAY Air and more direct, so probably the option to choose. Won't be certain of the unis to visit though until the end of Jan. I don't think MA is going to be on the route, so Baltimore is looking good atm. Would use BA direct if BA, have used booking.com for my last couple of trips with no issues - but these have been single airline routes, and a 40% saving on my trip next week.

Don't talk to me about phones & travel. I think I need to take 2 spares just in case. Getting a replacement tablet that takes a SIM card as my old one is very very slow, and currently waiting for my bricked phone to be picked up by DHL to be taken to the Czech Republic for the warranty fix - although I have read elsewhere that a refund is quite common for this issue. Don't think it will be back in time.

25 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Remember to fully read up on the "driving rules" too. IIRC in some states/counties it is illegal, for instance, to drive past a stationary school bus. That's an instant ticket if caught.

That's a good suggestion. I guess in other states it is illegal to stop behind a stationary school bus :) I got caught in Australia resting my arm on an open window.

Hotels I'm probably going to pre-book in the university towns, but go ad-hoc on the days between.

I'm not looking forward to the tipping.

12 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

I'm not looking forward to the tipping.

Then don't tip. I get it that they get paid low, but half of them are as miserable as sin so don't bother tipping them. Tip well the nice/good ones....

Tip for good service as you would elsewhere.

Also, watch out as I have heard that increasingly a "service charge" is added to your bill, then, when they bring you the card reader it asks what "tip" you want to leave - 20%, 40, 50%!  So you end up paying for service twice. That was certainly the case last January when I was in Vegas!

After the 7-week road trip in the western US a couple of years ago, I'd got to the point that I'd kill for anything vaguely green to eat that apart from rock-hard, under-cooked broccoli, or lettuce.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

And watch that speed! You really don't wanna get caught out.

And driving, without being invited, past a line of inmates picking litter under armed prison guard in Georgia isn't the best call to make 🙄 

Dave.

• Gold FFM

Yes, keep an eye out for included service charges; they're definitely on the rise.  If not present, we generally do tip 20% unless someone has been especially miserable or useless.  But we really don't find that.  We've generally has fantastic interaction with locals all over the US. 

'Five a day' there means five servings of fries.

Hadn't thought about road laws as I'm so used to them.  Right turn on red is a double-edged sword.  Do so with attention to oncoming traffic and crossing pedestrians.  Fail to turn if you're in that lane and you'll incur the wrath of the driver behind.  Best to choose to stop in the middle/right lane.  Pull out to the left lane to avoid emergency vehicles on the shoulder.  Roundabouts (traffic circles) are growing in numbers but are treated with amusing caution.  Prepare to be told to slow down almost half a mile before one, and be aware that they don't take roundabout lines like we do.  We British prefer to hit a roundabout at unreasonable speed and insert ourselves if there's a gnat's tadger of space.

4-way stops, though, are a thing of sublime beauty.  Everyone tends to take their turn in a civilised fashion that we Brits could never manage. 

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Don't lose your way in a soft top Mustang and end up in downtown LA. Having a gun stuck in my face wasn't pleasant!

I agree with Sparkles, its a lot more expensive out there than people think. 

I am looking forward to going and exploring real America as I always feel going to the big cities is like us here in the UK going to London. It's not real Britain.

Car rental is my think but the above posts covered everything I was going to suggest!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM

Stay out of the cities, stay off the Interstates, find the quirky places.  Waaaay more fun.

• Like 1

@Sparky, is that even when you hear the banjo's and they start smearing BBQ sauce on your legs whilst foaming at the mouth? Or is that just Kentucky?

• Haha 1

Sufficient health insurance coverage is a must. Road construction notices on the major routes indicate zones in which speed enforcement may well be elevated due to higher fines, the local authorities eager to cash in on. Dining in America is a chronic challenge, as so much of what is served is pitiful. For any future travels there I'll be researching where to seek out better fare. It just stands so poorly by comparison with most of Europe in this regard and, as noted above, America no longer remains the budget friendly destination we enjoyed in decades past. Agree with @Sparky on making a path away from major urban areas but, as with dining, take time in advance to research most rewarding routes in order to avoid the most indifferent areas which can be vast.

Cheers 

Last time I was in US was Vegas last January. Assume Vegas is like London/Paris and a rip-off, but even still, the cost of basic food (Denny's for breakfast for instance) was eye watering. Anything that tried to look a little upmarket (even though it was still a "chain") was eye popping. Anything upmarket was genuinely heart attack inducing, and I've eaten in Michelin places in Central London.

Prices have rocketed recently, and when you add on that the minimum tip they really want to see is 30%, it's ball breaking financially these days in the major centres.

I'm sure it is cheaper, and better, once you're away from the centres, just like it can be in the UK, Europe etc.

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

@Sparky, is that even when you hear the banjo's and they start smearing BBQ sauce on your legs whilst foaming at the mouth? Or is that just Kentucky?

KY/AL/GA/MS/VA/FL to name but a few!  I have so many stories...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Last time I was in US was Vegas last January. Assume Vegas is like London/Paris and a rip-off, but even still, the cost of basic food (Denny's for breakfast for instance) was eye watering. Anything that tried to look a little upmarket (even though it was still a "chain") was eye popping. Anything upmarket was genuinely heart attack inducing, and I've eaten in Michelin places in Central London.

Prices have rocketed recently, and when you add on that the minimum tip they really want to see is 30%, it's ball breaking financially these days in the major centres.

I'm sure it is cheaper, and better, once you're away from the centres, just like it can be in the UK, Europe etc.

Truth!

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

4-way stops, though, are a thing of sublime beauty

First came across these in South Africa in the 90s - was really confused.

I don't think that we will be in any real hurry to get from A to B - I think 250 miles is the furthest to travel in one day on my draft route, so quite happy to bumble about.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

May I inquire to which Universities you are proposing to visit ?

knowing the geographic locations of them would lead to a better knowledge of choice for airport destination. 

as Sparky said Boston can be a nitemare. Especially since Logan International is on the east of Boston and there is no easy drive out except through or around Boston. Whereas Baltimore Washington International is on the lower outskirts. As long as you are not on the interstates at rush hour travel should be fairly smooth. 

Yes, traffic circles are a nitemare here. Because no one has had proper training on how to use them and they are generally very tight circles not lending to a lot of manoeuvring room. Many work zones and anywhere within a mile of a school can have speed cameras in use. Whether they are portable or permanent. Generally there is about an average of a 12mph slush built in by law. However red light cameras are not forgiving and they have shortened the yellow caution light timing in most cases. And we do not get the yellow caution prior to light tuning green like you do in the UK.  
As for the buses. Only thing is a yellow school bus with flashing red lights cannot be passed in either direction unless there is a barrier or verge between the lanes.  

Also remember that there is overtaking in any lane any side. Although Sparky feels like some of our personal vehicles are big over here they really are not. Your roads and driveways are just smaller 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where in Ohio are you visiting?   I can tell you just about anything you need to know about Ohio.  I currently divide my time between Toledo and Cleveland, and know the rest of the state very well, having lived and/or worked in much of it.  Have been to the UK a couple of times and Europe several, so have a bit of a frame of reference/perspective.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Will know more middle of next week.

Almost certainly flying into Baltimore. Current plan is Lock Haven (definate), Niagara - tourist stuff - Kent State, Uni of Ohio, Washington - more tourist stuff - home.

• Like 1

The US is a great holiday.  Getting a Charger / Challenger will be superb fun and the fuel is cheaper over there.  

We did a few trips. 

1982 - Road trip: Boston, New England. New York, Washington DC, Virginia, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Salt Lake City, Washington State, Oregon, Chicago, Vancouver Island, Toronto and lots more.

1986 -  Road Trip: Visiting almost every state.

2003 -  Road Trip: LA, Las Vegas, Monument Valley, Tombstone, Mexicali, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree.

2018 - Road trip in V8 Mustang: Orlando, Miami, Keys,  Naples, Tampa.

All wonderful memories.  I hope you have a great time :).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Will know more middle of next week.

Almost certainly flying into Baltimore. Current plan is Lock Haven (definate), Niagara - tourist stuff - Kent State, Uni of Ohio, Washington - more tourist stuff - home.

By Uni of Ohio, do you mean Ohio University, in Athens?   If so, consider making the time to drive Rte. 555 (aka "the triple nickel") -- one of the more famous twisty highways in the US;  62 miles of curves and hills, and not crowded like Tail of the Dragon.  If you are traveling between Kent and Athens, it's only a little bit out of your way.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE