Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Vantage - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Vantage

26 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Engineered for real drivers

not on EV then.

I wonder if Joe Public could walk into a showroom and actually buy one. Or whether, like Porsche, he would have had to have wasted God knows how much cash on continually trading up, to the point where he gets to buy one.

Margate Exotics.

While still a student, I walked into the showroom of the Belgian Aston Martin importer and sheepishly asked if I could have a look around. I was greeted by the owner himself who kindly said to take my time but not touch anything. 'Maybe one day you'll become a customer'
He even had one of the mechanics open the hood of a Le Mans 600, their flagship at the time. I walked away with an accessory brochure and did become a customer, for a set of sunglasses, a poster of said Le Mans 600 and a tie. 🙂

I'd like to think I'd be just as welcome today. If it wasn't for Belgian taxes, I might have gone for a Vantage some years ago instead of another Esprit. (€40k for a second hand Vantage I could manage, about €10k registration fee and an annual road tax of €4k was a bit over the top...).

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

I wonder if Joe Public could walk into a showroom and actually buy one. Or whether, like Porsche, he would have had to have wasted God knows how much cash on continually trading up, to the point where he gets to buy one.

I think they’d snap your arm off.

• Like 2

I've seen a couple of reviews and think it's stunning. Just goes to show how close the previous gen was to looking half decent and with re designed headlights, looks so much better.

160k is a lot of cash, but with 665ps, it's move powerfull than a 911 turbo S and that has an OTR price of nearly 185k, so it is competitive.

In a world of bland Porkers, I'd seriously consider one if I had that some of money to spend.

• Like 2

I don't get Aston. Always at least half a generation of tech behind, usually overpriced for the level of engineering excellence based on the lure of the name, and heavy. 

Always on the brink of bankruptcy, no sin in that but at least Lotus were trying something unique whilst walking a tightrope of financial peril. Astons play on an iffy heritage and have never done anything remotely innovative with a road car (I'll forget the interesting wedge AM Lagonda as that was just insane and only the shape was bold, the rest was same old).

Justin 

6 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

An Aston Vantage? Absolutely. The dealers will be chock full of them before long. 

They certainly aren’t Pork GT cars.

26 minutes ago, jep said:

…and have never done anything remotely innovative with a road car

The Valkyrie is a road car. Just. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jep said:

I don't get Aston. Always at least half a generation of tech behind, usually overpriced for the level of engineering excellence based on the lure of the name, and heavy. 

Always on the brink of bankruptcy, no sin in that but at least Lotus were trying something unique whilst walking a tightrope of financial peril. Astons play on an iffy heritage and have never done anything remotely innovative with a road car (I'll forget the interesting wedge AM Lagonda as that was just insane and only the shape was bold, the rest was same old).

Justin 

I don't agree with too much of that tbh. This new interior is bang up to date. The hand built Merc engine isn't exactly a lump of old iron either.

Heavy.....probably, but have a look at verified weights for say a Turbo S on Ze perfs website or similar....that car isn't light either and although it's 4 wheel drive, it's also a flat 6 v the Astons bigger V8.

An iffy heritage.....what about the countless wins at Le Mans and other endurance racing. The F1 team has made massive progress in the last 18 months to.

In terms of price, It looks to be about 20k cheaper than a comparable 911, so I'm not sure how 'cheap' it needs to be.

Never had an Aston.....I can't afford one. I'm happy to get behind the brand, particularly when they look to have produced something decent.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

If this was lotus going down this route with powerful ICE engines instead of the EV tunnel sure it would make members of this forum much happier.

Aston will have to follow the EV route by 2030 if they are to continue making cars....

I had the opportunity to drive the previous Vantage on track and it was a blast, perhaps still with Matt's touch involved. The new one certainly looks the business as a serious anti-Porker. They have at least had competitive dabbles in endurance racing in the recent past and have also had a classy air about them probably thanks in no part to involvement in the Bond saga. Would definitely keep them on the list for my lottery win. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Good comments here, I’d summarise and say it’s more positive than negative from the Lotus community.

My brother has the previous generation V12, had it for over 10 years now. I’ve driven it only on the road (once on the Route Napoleon) and never ever did it fail to put a huge smile on my face. It’s been reliable too. Whilst a bit sloppy and indirect compared to a modern car - say a 992 it’s still incredibly powerful and wonderful to drive. That surge of smooth torque and noise.. gosh, they’re really really v cool. 

My money is on the new car being a worthy successor to the original car. At £160k it’s expensive.. but as has been stated so is a 911 Turbo, Bentley, Ferrari etc. 

IMG_8044.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
On 21/02/2024 at 07:23, auRouge said:

My money is on the new car being a worthy successor to the original car. At £160k it’s expensive.. but as has been stated so is a 911 Turbo, Bentley, Ferrari etc. 

It looks absolutely stunning & the performance figures are impressive. The relationship with Mercedes has clearly had a positive impact; not least with the drivetrain. Aston appear to be on a roll at last. Long may it continue.

• Like 1