Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Chargecooler hose to tube leak - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Chargecooler hose to tube leak

Go to solution Solved by Gjk,

• Gold FFM

Are these joints prone to leaking? I have ‘nipped’ the hose clip up as much as possible but, I still have a leak. I’m being to think that the problem may well be the aluminium tube as apposed to the rubber hose. I have tried moving the hose clip to different positions along the length of the where the aluminium tube is within the hose with no success.

any ideas gratefully received.

8962C884-1A2E-4DBB-9F5F-968ABBA684C4.jpeg

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM

Known failure point!  Disconnect and inspect the pipe ends.  Replacement available and an easy fix.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Cheers @Sparky, you’ve pretty much confirmed my suspicion. 

I’m going to convert the pump to electric so I’ll order the tubes at the same time from PNM, that way I only need to drain and bleed once.

It should be possible to use multiple hose clips along that area rather than just one in different positions as a temporary fix.

I stress temporary.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

It should be possible to use multiple hose clips along that area rather than just one in different positions as a temporary fix.

I stress temporary.

Funny you should mention double clipping. The hose joints at the other end of the twin tubes have just that arrangement.

6 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

You might also try fuel hose clips, which give a better clamping, or Mikalor clips if you want to be really flash.

I’ll have a search for fuel hose clips, cheers @Chillidoggy.

You are correct. Those Aluminium pipes are corroded on the outside, a common Esprit issue.

That is why we always use Hylomar Blue jointing compound (a non-drying sealant that fills in the 'pits' but can be easily removed when necessary).

https://www.amazon.com/Hylomar-HMMS00C-040G-Universal-Blue/dp/B0064M6A6G/ref=asc_df_B0064M6A6G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693613231827&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15518203274904327563&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003736&hvtargid=pla-716256914310&psc=1&mcid=f68413d722b53958bb8cf783df253817&gad_source=1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Thanks @CarBuff. I will put a light smear around the aluminium tubes when I replace them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Attempted to change the tubes today, can anyone spot the mistakes with the new tubes… 😤

I’m rather annoyed as I don’t get as much time as I would like to work on the car, what with work commitments and weather!

1AD3F2C6-06D4-40E4-938E-C6FD290E0115.jpeg

F568F239-2DD1-4ECF-946C-3A651212A464.jpeg

Is this a TEST?  I HATE tests! 😆

++++++++++++

Wrong length, no cross-braces?

WAIT, I know:  No corrosion. 😄

PS:  Your air-horns look FABULOUS!

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

they were from PNM ! Maybe Pete farms the production out to china, no idea? But they don’t fit !

3 minutes ago, CarBuff said:

PS:  Your air-horns look FABULOUS!

Everyone loves the horn Atwell, everyone…. 😎

to be fair it’s only missing the last cross brace, which should make installation a little easier.

• Haha 1

That is very annoying, but doesn't need to keep you from fitting them. If you trim the longest pipe down to the weld, it should fit and provide a sufficient seal for the hose, especially if you add Hylomar or similar. 😉 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I could do that @Escape . It may well come to that but, I have paid for some replacements and they clearly don’t fit. I have contacted the supplier and I wait their response….

I was sure Pete told me a couple of weeks ago that he makes all the replacement pipes in stainless now, this was during a problem I had without the fuel tank crossover arrangement. Maybe he hasn’t gotten around to the chargecooler pipes yet.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I was toying with the idea of getting them hard anodised before fitting, I’m so glad I didn’t now! 😂

At least it has bought me a bit of time to find a suitable bracket to mount the pump to the cross member. I was thinking of using an ignition coil bracket that I could line with neoprene foam to help omit pump noise through the chassis.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Have a look at fuel pump clamps.

Cheers Ian. EBay came up with one of the correct inside diameter that I require. 👍

• Gold FFM
21 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

I was sure Pete told me a couple of weeks ago that he makes all the replacement pipes in stainless now, this was during a problem I had without the fuel tank crossover arrangement. Maybe he hasn’t gotten around to the chargecooler pipes yet.

I phoned Pete this morning and he has agreed to remake the tubes. He said that he farms out the production and was a bit shocked at why the manufacturer had welded the swaged sections on thus increasing the overall length. Pete did mention that he hadn’t got around to reproducing the tubes in stainless yet but I have sent my old tubes to him as a template. Maybe I might be the guinea pig for the first batch, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
  • Solution

Tubes fitted perfectly. I would highly recommend anyone with the same problem to go down the stainless route! Along with the electric pump I should now have a reliable chargecooler system.

I will keep a eye out over the next few drives to ensure I have no weeps/leaks but, apart from that - job done!

• Like 1