Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fill me with confidence - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fill me with confidence

JusNoGood

Hi All

I have had my well sorted Esprit S3 for around four years now. Love the car and thoroughly enjoy using it. I’ve done little 500 mile uk holidays and am now thinking of doing a Euro trip. Perhaps to a Nurburgring classics then down to Italy.

I have done a few 2-3,000 mile trips in my M100, one 6 week trip to and around northern Italy. Has anyone done a similar trip in a G Esprit? Any stories to share to give me confidence to do it?

Jus

If you know your car, why not? I am planning an euro trip with my S2, but only after I upgrade my engine mounts… 🙂

• Like 1

No worries at all. Plenty do long tours with Lotus cars. G Esprit included. 

Do the basics: have the car inspected prior and take a few simple spares. Plugs, oil, water, jack, wheel brace, wiper blade, air pump. Check your tyres are all sound and legal for Europe (mud and snow symbol Nov to Apr is law in most EU states). Spare bulbs and yellow jacket are required for France.

Breakdown cover for older cars and read the small print. RAC only cover one breakdown per trip which means one per holiday - not ideal. 

Know your jacking points, as most garages will not. 

https://forums.thelotusforums.com/topic/121492-esprit-daventure-5/?do=getNewComment

Justin 

• Love 1

• Gold FFM

I do have some experience.

I have taken mine as far as Nice and have done several 2000 mile trips round Europe. Most have meant coming back in the Esprit. A couple it has been on the back of a recovery truck

As the other members have said:

• Keep the car well maintained
  • Have good quality breakdown cover (including repatriation)
  • Know the laws abroad
  • be prepared for problems
  • Treat it as an adventure
  • Expect issues in a 40 year old Supercar

As for stories:

• I once hit a pallet on the Autoroute which deformed the rim, so that meant that I worked out why the boot is shaped as it is (to put a full sized wheel in - cos they don't fit in the front) - this was the only issue in the over 2,000 mile trip to Nice and back
  • I had a clutch let go in Northern France which meant that the car came back on a truck a couple of weeks later

My best advice would be - treat it as an adventure and do it!

• Like 2

Thanks very much everyone. Appreciate the honest information Kevin.

yes when I go in the Elan I always have breakdown cover. I check the car over myself and replace anything I think could go, fitted Samco last time. Then get the car thoroughly serviced beforehand too.  I have confidence in the Elan to jump in and drive any distance.

Ive  not yet got the same confidence in the G but after hearing a few of you  I think Im going to plan a trip in the spring. As you say Kevin will be quite a special adventure. I’ve seen a trip to Monaco, across the top of Italy then down the coast to Athens I like the look of 

6 hours ago, jep said:

No worries at all. Plenty do long tours with Lotus cars. G Esprit included. 

Do the basics: have the car inspected prior and take a few simple spares. Plugs, oil, water, jack, wheel brace, wiper blade, air pump. Check your tyres are all sound and legal for Europe (mud and snow symbol Nov to Apr is law in most EU states). Spare bulbs and yellow jacket are required for France.

Breakdown cover for older cars and read the small print. RAC only cover one breakdown per trip which means one per holiday - not ideal. 

Know your jacking points, as most garages will not. 

https://forums.thelotusforums.com/topic/121492-esprit-daventure-5/?do=getNewComment

Justin 

Thanks very much. Yes I have a full Euro kit from previous visits. Wasn’t aware of the one call-out per-trip. I’m with RAC so I’ll have to look at different Euro cover. Handy info thanks.

Edited by JusNoGood

RAC: this was 2017, I checked before my trip to Naples in my 1973 XJ6. Double check if still so. I was amazed and called them, it was confirmed - one callout per trip, a trip being the date you leave the UK and the date you return. 

• Gold FFM

I took the Esprit to Monaco when we stayed on Nice. It gets more attention than the Ferraris and Lambos that are ten a penny down there. 

I would do it again tomorrow. No hesitation.

They are for driving! (Or the Drivers, if you prefer)

• Like 2

As mentioned on another thread, I've just come back from a 1000 mile strip down through France into Northern Spain in my 1986 N/A S3. Went look a dream and on the basis that I have an M100 Elan too, I'd say I'd have equal confidence that either should be as trouble free as a almost new car.

Go for it, the continentals go nuts at the sight of an S3 Esprit and the only issue you should have is getting away from people wanting to chat and take photos of the car.

If you're car is looked after then don't be put off by the doomsayers, life is too short..

• Like 2

Taken my S2 to Slovenia and back, twice. 1st time via south of France. Also did two trips to French Alps and back.

Just get in and drive. Any breakdowns can usually be sorted en route and if it's terminal the recovery truck is there to help

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

Even though I broke down on a 200 mile trip to Littlehampton last Friday in my S3 HC when the king lead jumped off the (broken) top of the coil, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in my car tomorrow (now with a new coil fitted!) and head over to France or anywhere. Thankfully I did manage to stick things together on Friday to get going again after 10 mins pause, and even better sourced a spare coil from a classic car place right opposite the marina I was visiting and swapped it over at lunchtime before facing the M25 at rush hour again! I'd definitely take some basic ignition spares with me (plugs, leads, coil, rotor, dizzy cap, etc), along with fluids and basic tools - helpfully my brand new spare coil from PNM was in the garage back in London on Friday....