Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

And what a complete pain of a job it is getting the tanks out, and that's with the engine out. It would have been easier to cut a tank-shaped hole in the side of the car. Nevertheless, they are out, and not before time too. The driver's side one is perfect, having not long been replaced, but as for the passenger side one - oh, dear! A disaster waiting to happen, the bottom of the tank is completely rusted away.

2015-01-17141921_zps9397f8a0.jpg

2015-01-17141935_zps39355c47.jpg

2015-01-17141946_zpse873816c.jpg

2015-01-17141839_zps17d18f4b.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Can I ask what was the rating on the lift? As I have to remove my engine and box.

Thanks

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Anyone know where I can get some of the hose clips used around the engine bay in various sizes?

I'm on about the white nylon ones that are rivetted to the GRP, and wrap around the pipes, but are open-ended so you can easily release the pipe.

Margate Exotics.

The usual place stocks them (SJS), but I haven't had luck finding anywhere selling large quantities of them separately...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

The kitcar fraternity is a good source of silly little plastic bits....you could try these guys....

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/brake-pipe-clips

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I've used CBS on many occasions, but they don't stock those clips, so I have sourced them from SJ.

I will try to post some more photos at the weekend, but generally the job has slowed due to having to go back to work, and also that I laothe cold weather, thus tend to hibernate in the winter. Apart from the turbo shenanigans, I'm in cleaning mode at the moment, attempting to remove 20 year's worth of accumulated shite off of everything. There are some parts that require refurbing, a bit of GRP work, rivnuts, insulation, and heat shielding. Also, I hope soon to put a few things up for sale, the driver's side fuel tank (passenger side one needs a new bottom), the air-con pump, possibly a flywheel and release bearing, but to be confirmed later.

Margate Exotics.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted any update, but I've been busy mainly with cleaning stuff up so I can see what goes where, and ordering parts.

But one of the things I found will be familiar to quite a few Esprit owners, from what I hear, and that is a broken engine mount bolt. This is what it initially looked like, after some previous individual had bodges it up good and proper. It seemed like there was an obstruction in the original hole, and he's tried to drill either side of it, probably with the engine still in situ. As it happened, it wa a broken tap ion the hole, which proved to be a real problem to remove. I eventually managed to remove it by using some tungsten-carbide die-grinding bits, and drills. I drilled down the sides, and finally managed to hook out the offending article.

imagejpg1_zpse54ff318.jpg

This is the result -

2015-02-08133201_zpsa6a2e0a1.jpg

Next up was to fill the hole with Devcon aluminium, and using an old, cut off engine mounit as a template, I first drilled the hole to 8.5mm in the old mount, then bolted it up to the block, and drilled the block itself with the same drill bit.

2015-02-08133109_zps5630f446.jpg

It looked like this when finished -

2015-02-15100659_zps3b84ccbe.jpg

Then I tapped through the old mount (a good guide), into the block with an M10 tap, and did the same for the other holes. I then wound in some M10 studs, using Loctite -

2015-02-16180115_zps166f410f.jpg

I relieved the areas on the new mount to accommodate the larger M10 nuts, and drilled clearance holes for the larger studs -

2015-02-16181359_zps0521604c.jpg

And mocked it up with the new support strap I fabricated earlier -

2015-02-16181627_zpscb598b71.jpg

I have some new self-locking nuts on order to complete the job, and will do the other side of the engine in due course.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

An update -

The engine bay was pretty much full of 20 year's worth of accumulated thick greasy gunge, so I shoved the car outside, and got in there with a scraper, Gunk, and a hose.

Before

2015-01-13%2016.23.52_zpsrxl6agx0.jpg

After

2015-02-22%2015.40.56_zps1yl2ofnk.jpg

I know it doesn't look much different, but I can see all the individual pipework now!

The original cams heatshield was in a pretty rough state, so after some researching, and a bit of blagging, I managed to get myself some Firefly millboard and covered it in reflective insulation. I'm not sure how long this is going to last, because to be honest, the millboard is a bit like hardboard, but time will tell. It looks better than the old one, if nothing else.

2015-03-01%2017.33.16_zpscolytve6.jpg

I carried on with putting bits back on the engine, recon waterpump, alternator, and a brand new air-con pump. It looks a lot cleaner than it did when I pulled it out from the car.

2015-02-28%2017.02.01_zpstg2yi5os.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Sex on a stick.  Back in at the weekend?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Yes, I will definitely be in at the weekend, but the engine definitely won't. As for sex on a stick, some may consider it a tempting offer, but I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this occasion, if that's OK with you.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You have the upgraded gearshift I noticed. I thought from pictures in my manual that I did, but I don't. What I do have though is the shaft extending out the right side of the box. I could remove my current shift mechanism and fit the newer one. I noticed that your car doesn't have the extension on the left side.

Is it a big improvement over the shift that wraps around the back of the box?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I meant to say they are really nice as well!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)