Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 47 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Had a slight set-back yesterday. Changing the gearbox oil while I have good access, the sump plug was in so tight, that even with the correct 10mm socket I sheared the head clean off. After having contemplated removing the gearbox, I thought I'd have a go at it in situ, especially seeing as I'd only just dropped it back in an hour earlier.

With the amount of force required to shear the square off the plug, I considered it unlikely that an easy-out would work, but nevertheless it was worth a try. Drilled a hole in the plug, and as expected the easy-out was clearly not going to remove the thing. Moving up a gear, I got the air hacksaw with a fine blade and carefully made two thin vertical cuts in the hole I'd drilled in the plug, diametrically opposite each other. I then used a parallel pin punch and a mallet to collapse the plug in on itself. This was a bit tricky, as the plug was virtually flush with the casing. I needed one more go with the hacksaw, before it finally released. I was careful enough so I only just kissed the internal threads, so they'll seal up no problem.

I used a tiny magnet pushed up inside the box to collect as much of any swarf as possible, then swopped the filler for the drain plug, then filled it with TAF and dropped the oil to flush it out. No more metal bits appeared in the drain bucket, so I'm hoping I've got it all. The plug must have been put in by a gorilla, there was no reason for it to be that tight, it's the kind of shoddy workmanship that gives our cars a bad name.

I am told by PNM that the plugs are obsolete from Renault nowadays, so it's time to identify the thread before I go any further.

IMG_4140.JPG

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

I only know what Pete at PNM told me this morning, which is that he hasn't got any, and Renault (from whom he sourced them), say they are obsolete.

The plugs on my gearbox are 3/8" BSPT.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Good recovery mate.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The things I have to do to keep the Watford Exotics (South East) franchise, eh?

I really hope no-one else here has to face the same problem, but if they do, at least there's a solution which doesn't involve gearbox removal.

And following a message from @internets, I've ordered a magnetic drain plug. Given my slight nervousness about any stray metallic particles that may still be in the gearbox casing, I felt that was the best option.

Margate Exotics.

Sadly, I had to take the header, cant rails and rear window surround back to the trimmer, as he rolled the headlining round each item, and not left any loose so the excess can be glued to the roof aperture lip. I failed to realise this at first, so it's just as well I spotted it before I got too far. They should be refinished this week. The seats are waiting for the headrest embroidery to be done before they can be finished, and door cards are done. Then is the fight against time to get it all back in, which will no doubt involve a lot of head-scratching, harsh language, Lotus positions and beer. In conjunction, I also have the engine electrics and coolant pipes to reconnect, and the engine bay looks about the same as the dashboard mess at the moment.

On a brighter note, I managed to find a Lechler textured paint application that's very similar to Senotex so the engine bay trim covers can be resprayed. I took it to a local auto paint suppliers which appeared to be run by Dumb and Dumber, who, despite my best efforts, managed to avoid giving me a price for the job. I'll have another go at them when I've got the covers sanded down.

Margate Exotics.

Can you post a link to the magnetic box sump plug please? I can never get mine oil tight, presume someone has overtightened yours for the same reason? Why not a proper plug and gasket I'll never know.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Unfortunately, the thread in the gearbox is 3/8" BSPT, so there's no chance of fitting a different plug with a shoulder and gasket ring. The magnetic plus plug came from the DeLorean place in N.I., you'll have to Google it. But be warned, it's a 7/16" square head, so your normal gearbox plug socket won't fit, unless of course you file the plug down to suit.

Margate Exotics.

Update:-

I fitted Rubik's engine-mount heat-shield in record time this time around. I reckon it took about half an hour from start to finish, and that included working out where all the bits went beforehand. This is however, not the kind of thing that is going to win any bragging rights in the pub, nor is it likely to get me any free drinks.

Following that, I managed to successfully repair the hairline crack in the top of the translator and fit it correctly. I had overhauled the master gearchange with new bushes earlier, but the rod-ends all lined up without any further need for adjustment, and the gears seem to select OK.

The water-pump inlet hose was where all the revelry came to a grinding halt. Previously, I'd used a silicone hose and had problems getting it sealed. In fact I'm not sure it ever did seal properly. I've now ditched all the silicone and reverted back to rubber for all the hoses on the car, given there were others that weren't sealing correctly, too. Apart from the silicone hose not being a good fit, I was convinced that one of the problems in sealing was caused by the width of the Jubilee clip, and bought one which is 9.9mm instead of 13.

On a trial fit, I found the new rubber hose was so close to the exhaust cam sprocket that it was virtually touching it. I took it off, stuck a piece of steel pipe up the end, wrapped it with some insulating tape as a guide, and cut a 5mm ring off the end with a Stanley knife. After a huge amount of faffing around, which involved serious swearing and a long pry bar, I finally got it on the water-pump spigot, only to find I had the Jubilee clip on arse about face. Off it came again, changed the orientation of the clip, more swearing, more pry-bar action, and finally success. The hose is now about 8mm away from the cam sprocket and belt, and Ian's a happy chappie.

There's a possibility the seats and any remaining trim will be completed by tomorrow and if so, I'll have to collect them. That will be everything required for the interior available to fit, and once the engine install is finished, that'll be the next on the list.

Margate Exotics.

That is going to look superb once it's back in the car.

Keep up the great work. :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

He'll never let me drive it again.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

You passed the test.  You may now have your own key to the executive bathroom at Watford Exotics.

On 2017-5-6 at 12:41, ian29gte said:

Had a slight set-back yesterday. Changing the gearbox oil while I have good access, the sump plug was in so tight, that even with the correct 10mm socket I sheared the head clean off. 

I am told by PNM that the plugs are obsolete from Renault nowadays, so it's time to identify the thread before I go any further.

I still have some drain/refill plugs from my days of  Europa ownership/maintenance which also had a Renault transmission & whenever I changed the transmission oil on one of my Stevens' Esprits I always thought the drain/refill plugs looked exactly the same & I also used the same spanner to remove/refit them, however, I never got round to actually trying it in the Esprit for size.

The threaded section is 16mm in diameter.

PM me your details if you'd like to see if it fits.

PS. Car's looking good, well done. :thumbup:

P1000814.JPG

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

That's a kind offer John, but I'm all sorted for gearbox plugs, if not others.......

I was getting all geared up for an engine start today, however when I tried to remove the charge cooler filler/bleed plug to fill the system, it became clear something was amiss. I ended up winding it out with a spanner, whilst levering it up with a screwdriver at the same time. The threads in it are knackered, they look like they've been eaten away, possibly by electrolytic action, but it's difficult to say at present. Although the earth bonding lead has been connected since I've owned the car, I can't remember whether it was adrift when I bought it. Steel plug in an ally casting, chuck some water in, and away it goes. Anyway, I measured the thread as M22 x 1.5, but I'd be pleased if anyone here is able to either confirm If I'm right, or wrong.

I've considered four possible options so far:-

1. Clean up the remainder of the threads and use Devcon to build up the internal diameter. I might need some kind of barrier in the hole to stop it oozing down into the charge cooler. Then drill and tap the hole back to original spec.
  2. Drill and tap it the next size up, assuming there's enough metal to do it.
  3. Plug it completely, then drill and tap a hole in the plug to accept a smaller plug.
  4. Buy a new charge cooler.*

*actually option 4. is not really an option, as I have discovered they are NLA.

I'm mulling these over. The drill sizes are too large for my 13 mm chuck, so they'd have to have the shanks machined down to fit. Tapping such a large, fine thread in parallel is also a challenge, so I may have to bite the bullet and have it done by a machine shop. Meanwhile, I'll continue with the tailgate release, and boot floor tomorrow.

Margate Exotics.

I sent the instruments set off to Speedy Cables for overhaul ten days ago. Now, I've used them in the distant past and they certainly lived up to their name, very fast service indeed. This time, I'm told the gauges will be probably six weeks. So the chances are that the car will be sat waiting for them. I am now referring to them as Slowly Cables.

I'm convinced that the Borrowers are living in my garage. I simply cannot find the removable boot infill panel anywhere. Even the wife, who must have been a bloodhound in a former life, was stumped. Nothing else for it but to knock up something out of alloy sheet. One more setback in the process I could do without.

Tailgate release is done, and the engine could be run were it not for that poxy charge cooler plug, so I've started on the interior. As expected, progress has been slow, fighting with the pack of snakes that is the heater ducting took a while, as did screwing the dashboard vent back in. I ended up protecting the dash leather and using a pair of pliers to turn each screw until I could get the miniature screw ratchet on them.

I just know I'm going to pay for this tomorrow, the Lotus position is getting more difficult to achieve, never mind do anything when I get in there.

Margate Exotics.

Yes, refitting the interior is a right old faff I can confirm. Still, be worth it in the end. Just be grateful you didn't need to replace your door frames at the same time...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺