Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
sport button - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

sport button

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
18 hours ago, Registered said:

Evora NA feels so slow without the Sport button on.

It is the first button I look for after starting the car.

No it doesn't. You just have to push the throttle a bit harder.

• Like 1

I honestly think that without the sport button, I would have traded in the NA for an S.

My car suffered from the brake switch issue which took over a month to resolve due to comedy service from Elise shop in sending out a brake switch.  During that month, the inability to use the sport button made the car feel pretty ordinary.

However, Im glad I don't have a S as I don't want future super charger issues nor gearbox/clutch issues.  Door latch, window regulator, air con and air bag cover problems are enough.

• 2 years later...

Digging up and old thread

for the S1 n/a what’s the Rev limiter with and within sport button

does it actually feel eager at the top of the Rev range? 

having had a Honda k20 which loved to scream to 9k and still pulls strong all the way to redline, I’m wandering what the Toyota engine block is like in comparison?

I don’t have sports button but I do enjoy using my right foot being employed to control the engine tone etc 

I am not a hard fast driver and TBF the roads now are getting back to regular traffic levels 

I think if I get CAI installed the tonal noise coming from car will be improved & acceptable for me ! 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The car builds to the redline it feels frantic from the midrange on. Without the sports button it feels smoother on the throttle around town and a calmer car.

It's an increase in urgency and response you get with the sports button. It is quite a big difference to be honest. It's a similar long legged feel to the Honda but it has more torque and will jump forward more easily when you stab the throttle when crossing, still seems to pull for days but not quite as ludicrously long as the Honda unit (not many are!)

• Like 1

My N/A also doesn’t have the sport button but the dash does show sport when turning the ignition on. Wondering if the loom already has a free connector to connect a sport button to and if the dealer would need to do any fiddling with the ECU.

I asked the local dealer (van Der Kooi) here in NL, but they have no clue, was never asked before.

Getting access to the loom behind the dash seems quite a bit of work, didn’t try it it. (Or does someone have a guide how to access the buttons without stripping half the interior?)

Some time ago I had asked the same question to see if a retro fit of button was possible and recall its viable but costly ? 
so I am happy to go with what I have and enjoy my car my way 

I am still trying to get those red rings to appear 😮

Now I drove back from playing footy last night and only a dozen or so times I driven my car at night 

anyway I took the above advice and when safe to do so I opened up the acceleration ! Now I didn’t notice the red rings but I had to take my foot off as my exit was upon me but was wondering has my ECU learned my sub 5k revs driving style over the last year ? 

No need to break speed limits etc just drop down a gear to two so you see the sonic rings more often. 

The VVT on mine kicks in around 3500rpm and you can feel an extra surge from the engine.  When having a bit of fun I’ll try and keep the engine above there.  Makes a lovely sound and the throttle response is quicker and linear and a joy to drive. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

The VVT on mine kicks in around 3500rpm and you can feel an extra surge from the engine.

You can hear the engine note (not the exhaust) change when the VVT kicks in.  Also, when you are driving at the higher revs the ECU "sharpens" things up for you and holds the VVT for longer. I do remember someone talking about this a few years ago, the ECU basically wakes up (like it has taken a few caffeine tablets) and anticipates you being on it.  Then, after you have clamed down for a wee bit it reverts back to its more docile setting. Not surer what this is caused, but it definitely used to happen on my NA.

Funny, this discussion is making realise that to be honest the NA is just such an accomplished, well sorted, well balanced, drivers car.  You listen to the car more (not the exhaust). You feel what the car is doing more.  It rewards you more.  You need to drive it to make a decent pace, but boy it does reward you on the road for it.

The S, the 400, 410. Yup, super fast cars, but they lack the subtlety of feedback and response that the NA has when you tickle it's fancy on the road. Even 3 years after I sold my NA for a 410 Sport, I still miss that NA hugely and have massive fond memories of it. Not often a car gets under your skin like that and again, on the road, not much rewards you more.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2016 at 19:30, j141 said:

Im the same, I only turn sports mode off if im stuck in bad traffic or doing a long motorway trip

This 😀

• 2 months later...

I'm considering an (NA) Evora without the sport button and want to confirm something.

Does the NA Evora non-sport drive like the NA Evora with a sport button when the sport button is NOT enabled? Or does the NA Evora non-sport have the additional 7200 redline, but a less sharp throttle response?

I found this article which says, "The Sport pack also provides a switch that enables sharper throttle response and more slip from the traction control system, among other performance enhancements." It doesn't mention the redline specifically. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/10/lotus-releases-package-and-content-details-on-the-2010-evora/

thanks for any help

Edited by SrW

image.png.13207e0d9ff9b63a368bf233a6d8d7d5.png

The option is configurable in the ECU by way of TechCentre, and I'm sure if it's disabled (or unavailable, depending on MY), you won't get the higher redline and throttle mapping. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, SrW said:

I'm considering an (NA) Evora without the sport button and want to confirm something.

Does the NA Evora non-sport drive like the NA Evora with a sport button when the sport button is NOT enabled? Or does the NA Evora non-sport have the additional 7200 redline, but a less sharp throttle response?

I found this article which says, "The Sport pack also provides a switch that enables sharper throttle response and more slip from the traction control system, among other performance enhancements." It doesn't mention the redline specifically. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/10/lotus-releases-package-and-content-details-on-the-2010-evora/

thanks for any help

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

As I understand it, but I could be completely wrong, I believe the sport button increases the redline and sharpens the throttle response as well. Turn it off and you're back to standard. If I am wrong, someone that knows more than me will be along to tell me I'm a wombat, no doubt.

You should also duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yep as I understand it NA with no sport pack is the same as the NA with sport pack but button not enabled in terms of engine performance. 

I think the sports pack also gives coloured brake callipers.  Performance is exactly the same just a colour difference.  I think it also gives you cross drilled brake discs, which I guess will give you better performance on the track but not sure if it makes any difference on the road.

If you are looking at getting an auto gearbox, maybe (I don't know) the shifts are faster and it might want to hold higher revs for longer before shifting up?

Edited by electro_boy

Given this does my inept logic when it comes to mechanical issue mean the engine can be permanently engaged like it’s got sports button depressed all time even if you have no button ? 

If so could this be done by lotus garage ? 

No, it's controlled by the ECU. The default setting at power cycle is to have it disabled. There are a few ways I can think of to mimic the button press in an automated fashion though.