Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 156 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Lotus clearly in PR mode ahead of the float. Only scanned the posts above and hope I'm not duplicating, but today's Telegraph has a substantial article too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/04/lotus-china-geely-electric-sports-cars-evija-ev-fast-lane/

Given that it's PR, pretty decent as far as I can judge. Strongly positive tone re Hethel, current and future, and openess about potential future issues in the West about cars made in China.

Worth a read.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Honda and GM have entered into a 50:50 on hydrogen fuel cells. BMW are launching a new X5 based on hydrogen fuel cells. 

I do think BEVs will be a part of the future, but, they are NOT the only future for sure.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

.................... hope I'm not duplicating, but today's Telegraph has a substantial article too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/04/lotus-china-geely-electric-sports-cars-evija-ev-fast-lane/

19 hours ago, Bibs said:

Good exposure but awful article! 

Now read both, and IMO, The Telegraph article is far better. Includes comment on the Eletre's handing around bends and battery positioning in the 135!  PS: Now re-read the Tel one, and repeat that's really pretty good for a newspaper!

They have a lot more cars than in the picture above.

I sold my Geely shares last week. I bought them when Lotus was acquired, a totally uneducated punt. 

Complete disaster, 70% loss. I admired the Volvo turnaround but watching the last two years coupled with Polestar news, I've lost faith.

Thankfully my other two uneducated spives - Ferrari and Mondelez - have covered my G loss. Ferrari spectacularly so. I should probably sell. 

I'm not very good with shares and leave the serious investing to my broker. Geely is not on their 'buy' list. 

Justin 

1 hour ago, jonwat said:

"For the Driver". 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

On 12/02/2024 at 09:57, Bibs said:

That picture has really just hit home for me.

Not having much interest in electric cars the one on the end is the end of Lotus as we know it. 😕

I despair, and whilst the future may be right for Lotus, increasingly Lotus is not in my future, if this is anything to go by.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/lotus-wants-its-future-sports-cars-drive-themselves?fbclid=IwAR2eWFr0it5vjY0ie5yqhf0YziBhwSF2kgx0khxWBdsPS4Q7XKic7cES8rM

• Sad 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I despair, and whilst the future may be right for Lotus, increasingly Lotus is not in my future, if this is anything to go by.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/lotus-wants-its-future-sports-cars-drive-themselves?fbclid=IwAR2eWFr0it5vjY0ie5yqhf0YziBhwSF2kgx0khxWBdsPS4Q7XKic7cES8rM

A view widely shared by most TLF users I suspect – but also more generally.

Stuart Gallagher, the EVO chief – author of the substantial review in the September issue that assessed the Emira I4 as “an inspiring last petrol-powered Lotus and a great sports car” – devotes his editorial in the current (March) issue to Lotus.  He concludes: "….. I worry that the Lotus Geely has saved won’t be the Lotus that we need.”

And if now potentially even a self-driving aspect, I believe he could and should have expressed himself far more strongly. My “Lotus future” is parked in my garage already.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mdavies said:

I worry that the Lotus Geely has saved won’t be the Lotus that we want.

FTFY?

12 minutes ago, mdavies said:

My “Lotus future” is parked in my garage already.

Mine too, though I'll probably have an Emira at some point, too ;).

The small print.

FTFY? - Yes, as you say, indeed for me!  Needs vs wants quite a debating topic for some though perhaps!

I don't rule out an Emira for me either, but only a future version, not either present one whatever Stuart G thinks of them.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 13:23, C8RKH said:

Lotus is now all about Premium Luxury, high prices, and profit before anything. The slogan would be better as "For the Accountants".

Sad but true I fear...

But can you name a car manufacturer that does differently?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

18 hours ago, Escape said:

Sad but true I fear...

3 years ago I'd have replied"Lotus"!!

• Sad 1

The small print.

19 hours ago, Escape said:

Sad but true I fear...

Noble? Not sure if they had a financial wobble or do make money. 

Lotus should rightfully have disappeared many years ago..... the Elise, a truly remarkable achievement, kept the dream alive but reality bites and it is mass production or die. 

I don't think Geely have the right answer but the question is the same.

Justin 

Noble, Morgan, Caterham, TVR (if they ever actually build another car) seem likely suspects, but they're all either balancing on bankruptcy or seeking support from major players who will start to call the shots and end the dream.

As we discussed at Brooklands, it might be easier to build a handful of cars for selective (rich) customers rather than try to sell a few 100 or 1000 cars at a slightly lower price. Without actual benefits of scale it's hard to increase production without getting into all kinds of problems, both financially and regulatory.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I absolutely agree with @jep. You need a mass market to survive in todays market. 

That being said there is absolutely no reason why that "mass Market" deal couldn't be on the likes of the Sunbeam and Carlton and in a way that is the route Lotus have gone down with the super Fast but mega heavy Electric SUV's.

Again, I will say, BUT, there is absolutely no reason why that has to be 100% BEV and it definitely doesn't preclude Lotus doing small market Sports cars "For the Driver", with Real Lotus DNA and ICE and Hybrid cars till 2035. Hybrid and PHEV are already added in and no longer going to be banned under EU law, on German Manufacturers insistence, just that the law "Currently" has a huge % of pure BEV. 

I believe they should relook at their branding. 2027 is a poor time to announce 100% EV especially when those of us in the Mass market Automotive world can see movement and changes regarding EV take up and useage happening almost weekly

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Good point on branding. Renault have really nailed this with Dacia, Renault and Alpine. Alpine I assume will be the new Renault Sport division - for the drivers. 

Justin 

• Like 1