Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 54 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 09:44, Ccd said:

I keep seeing announcements of hiring at Lotus, but still nothing seems to change.  The cynic in me believes this is because Lotus is hiring people for a complete re-boot of the brand.  Geely paid for the Lotus name and the engineering, not the current lineup of cars.  

I think some cars will continue to be made at Hethel only because it is part of the Lotus “mystique.”  The lion’s share will be made in China.  

As for the US, adding Lotus to select Volvo dealerships makes sense.  I think people sometimes forget that Lotus only has one US compliant car, the Evora 400, and it’s not exactly flying off dealer showrooms.  I think all current models will be allowed to continue with little further development until they are replaced by entirely new models.  

The Evora 400 in the US is selling in much less quantities compared with the S1 Gen. Sad but True...….I went to check the new 911 base car and the new Cayman. They are nice but IMO they were far from my Evora 400 in look and power. Both have less power too, but the Cayman was cheaper and the 911 was about around 110k. I also went to see the new 2 door 2019 AMG 63s, very nice car and comes with 503 bhp and the sticker price said $94,000 (loaded with options too).

Lotus needs to completely redesign the Evora and put 500 bhp. They can call it Lotus 500. That could be their entry level "super car."

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Considering how quiet things are, I wouldn't be surprised if the Evora was to get another thorough refresh tailored for the US and Chinese markets soon. The GT430 was supposed to reach the American shores in December but that did not happen, however it could be that they have been delayed due either to a decision to provide a revamped MY2020. Some have mentioned the shutdown as a cause for the delay but I don't really buy it.

One thing Geely has done with Volvo, at the beginning, was to make sure that the then current cars kept receiving updates and upgrades until the newer models were ready. I don't see why they would not do the same with Lotus. A dealer on Lotustalk recently hinted at the Evora receiving more significant updates and upgrades. If the new sport cars are effectively MY2021( presented in 2020 but for sale late in the year or early in 2021) then it makes sense to refresh the Evora soon, especially considering the refresh the competition just received. Keeping the core chassis layout, a light reskin of the outside and another overhaul of the inside could be in the cards. An Evora Evo of sorts focusing on the details but still significantly different while remaining clearly Evora. They can easily touch the front and rear clam as well as the roof, Slight tweaks to the front and rear bumpers- which are  pretty much perfect imo - they can revamp the cabin tech using Volvo/Geely parts bin, it is not exactly plug and play but close enough. Evora would be the first car to get the new loom that lotus so badly needs it would only be logical to move all the sport cars to it stat.

As to getting 500bhp from the powertrain in its current layout... I won't hold my breath. I know that both the GR-FE and the JLV-6G35 can reach that number with the addition of a turbo or supercharger, but the gearbox will remain an issue, even-though Geely owns its own DCT 7 speed  gearbox design and deals with AISIN with the very good 8 speed auto. However 450bhp to 480 bhp is theoretically doable with the supercharger so they could  maybe push the current gearbox another 20nm or so especially  if the swapped the supercharge for a turbo in order to obtain a max torque output significantly lower in the rpm range.  However this kind of investment will only be made if they can recoup it over time which would mean keeping the Evora in a form or another significantly longer on the market. JMG hinted at the Evora sticking around anyway so a refresh may have been in the cards regardless and this year would be a good year for the car to get it.

• Like 1

To be frank, I think it's about time the Evora was dropped. It hasn't ever sold well, not once reaching the original annual sales targets and for whatever reasons hasn't captured the imagination of the buying public. Even a good showing and worldwide exposure on Top Gear didn't make people want it.

Another round of new bumpers and increased bhp won't solve that. Let it die and bring on the new-gen stuff as soon as possible. 

• Sad 1

It was featured on Top Gear, the world's largest car based entertainment show, appeared in a US soap and was wearing a shiny coat while being the key vehicle for the baddies in a Hollywood movie. Yet still, even during its biggest selling year it barely scraped half of its sales target. In the UK last year, it sold 70 units. That doesn't mean it's a bad product and I agree it's an underrated car, but it doesn't sell. 

Rose tinted specs off, chaps. The Evora's lack of sales can't be magicked away by a few adverts. It isn't a car that appeals, it's as simple as that. No idea why as all the ingredients are there, I guess it's just the wrong recipe.

I've no idea why I don't want one either and I'm prime Lotus fodder ready for wallet harvesting. I'm an easy sale yet I don't yearn for one. Imagine extrapolating that to those who haven't got a long history of buying Lotus or those who are quite happy to entertain owning something from the P word company. It needs to go and its replacement needs to wow the public into yearning for one and not just receive worthy nods or accolades from journos. 

To quote a well known Lotus stalwart and ex/current employee "the Evora is the best car Lotus has ever made". Sadly it is also the best car nobody has heard of. I have never had a negative reaction when out and about, or when amongst car enthusiasts. In its current guise it is simply sublime to look at and drive.

People just want Pork, Jag (F type), etc because (I assume) its what they see, hear about most, and have a more accessible dealer network. Hopefully the latest management appointments will help change all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

Rose tinted specs off, chaps. The Evora's lack of sales can't be magicked away by a few adverts. It isn't a car that appeals, it's as simple as that. No idea why as all the ingredients are there, I guess it's just the wrong recipe.

I've no idea why I don't want one either and I'm prime Lotus fodder ready for wallet harvesting. I'm an easy sale yet I don't yearn for one. Imagine extrapolating that to those who haven't got a long history of buying Lotus or those who are quite happy to entertain owning something from the P word company. It needs to go and its replacement needs to wow the public into yearning for one and not just receive worthy nods or accolades from journos. 

Probably because it’s neither hardcore like the Elise/Exige, supercar enough like the Esprit, nor a proper 2+2 like the Elite/Eclat.

Personally I really like the Evora - but when I went to look at it and my 14 year old couldn’t get in the back - that ruled it out 😭

• Gold FFM

As good as the Evora is, and as lovely as it looks, it's not quite got what it takes to woo those non Lotus perspective buyers.

This from my mates point of view, who recently looked at an Evora, was so disappointed with its lack of "toys" as he put it, that he didn't even bother to take a test drive, he described it to me as "a fantastic looking car, with the interior of a Ford Fiesta" 

I've not been lucky enough to drive one, but have sat in one, and to be honest I prefer my Esprit. 

Perhaps the Evora needed to forget the adding lightness thing, the Exige takes care of that, and focused more on power and luxury, a proper GT with plush leather seats, more switches and gauges than a 747 and other course a voice activated cup holder.

People always seem to lean more negative when things are unknown.

I believe the current line-up is dead. Maybe they will do a 450 or something, but I think its the end of the line for the Elise, Exige and Evora. Whether new cars that share those names will come I have no idea.

However, if it really is going to take 3 or 4 years to see the new line-up I wonder if it would be in Lotus interest to at least play around the the Volvo and Geely parts bin. Maybe release a Evora 450 with a custom Volvo-bases ICE, electronic keys, and other bits that will make the car more modern. Maybe make the interior higher quality. I think the new looks of the 410/430 is very good, not much needs to change there. At worst at least they have some experience with more modern tech when the new line-up comes about and at best it sells more cars in the interim.

Edited by Likuid
  • Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

10 hours ago, NedaSay said:

I do think the car has conquest power, if properly equipped, marketed, priced, supported and why not rebranded, if the problem is in the name by all account they should change it. DB wanted to rebrand it Elan after all......... Regardless what any Lotus car need right now is a lot more support from the factory, the dealers and the service centres. And the car shall be compared with the stuff from Stuttgart so there's no point calling it cottage industry product or smaller carmaker offering... Nope it will have to be as good if not better than a 911 on almost every aspects that casual sport car buyers deem essential, ease of use, feel good/wow factor, available branded tech, after sale service, financing... 

Curiously the Evora is something of  a thumb in the eye to pretension even though it is very extravagant and extroverted at another level.  But mediocre fit and finish coupled with routine minor but annoying issues (that are seemingly annoying to Lotus  to deal with as well) need to be addressed with vigor.   As a buyer I shouldn't need to accept excuses instead of prompt action.  And there needs to be some real finance schemes for people who can't just write a check.  I was told I was rare when I handed a check over for mine and I have no trouble understanding why.  Most people can't or won't buy outright and that is thoroughly basic.  

It pains me to say this but Lotus needs to up its game if it wants to be taken seriously in America. And it should want that very much. 

I think your observations are spot on.

Q:  Does Geely have an existing ICE package in the inventory that would plug into the Evora?  I think that's  a problem that's been intimated here before.  

'17 Evora 400 MT 

The answer to your Q is yes. Yes they do. Especially if the loom is replaced, but even if it wasn't Geely has an 8 inch high resolution LCD screen ICE, it is called G-Netlink and it has all the bells and whistles including Android Auto and Apple Carplay :http://global.geely.com/intec/g-netlink/ it would take some fiddling to get the loom to communicate and integrate properly but not really something to make a huge fuss about. However if they are replacing the loom, and we know it was the one thing that JMG was insistant on, then they could just drop the Volvo Sensus in the car. It would probably require a dashboard redesign but I don't think it would really stop Geely from doing it. It is all about time actually, if they are updating the car this year. I would imagine G-Netlink be finessed in the car if it is a 2020 redesign i would imagine Sensus.

• Like 2

On 25/01/2019 at 16:11, scotty435 said:

Wow listening to this thread it sounds like there is no future for Lotus, never have I heard so much negativity in my life especially at a time when under a new ownership there are positive things happening at Hethel, big recruitment drive, obviously a massive cash injection, don’t let the lack of information of future products be a negative, Geely are operating in the way they know best and have made a success in the past. Me for one I am looking forward to some great products in the next few years.

It is not negativity but annoying facts.

Yes, 2 years of new ownership and still (practically) the same Lotus Evora car from 2009 but they brag about selling 1600 cars Worldwide?

Don't get me wrong, the fact that there are so few cars out there makes it very special and unique...it makes me love my Evora 400 even more. I love Lotus cars. This is my second Evora and my third Lotus car (2011 Elise R)

IMO Today the Evora 400 should be more powerful and look very different from the first Gen and not offer gimmicks like the 410 and 430 to attract more buyers....Personally I don't really care about a luxurious cabin and tech gadgets.

16 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

and not offer gimmicks like the 410 and 430 to attract more buyers..

@CharlieBrown can you explain this a bit more please as I'm struggling to understan what the gimmicks are you mention. It can't be the redesigned aero that actually works, the adjustable suspension, the carbon fibre or the sublime TCS. So what is it?  Thanks.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!