Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 130 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

On 19/09/2021 at 14:03, Barrykearley said:

So - I’ve bought new - VW, Hyundai and Vauxhall - and sadly not once have I received a welcome hamper or Christmas card from the CEOs of any of them.

When I bought a Range Rover brand new I got a bottle of champagne and the wife got a bunch of flowers - Admittedly this was from the dealer not Land Rover but never the less was a nice touch.

• Like 2
Dave - 2000 Sport 350

On 19/09/2021 at 14:03, Barrykearley said:

So - I’ve bought new - VW, Hyundai and Vauxhall - and sadly not once have I received a welcome hamper or Christmas card from the CEOs of any of them.

I used to get an Christmas card from london lotus for many years, until they were sold.

They’ve probably been running Evora mules alongside Emira preprods.

Don’t forget, they did the Evora 414e or whatever it was called as a tech demo.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

@ArreguetiProbably not. It's just a perspective thing.

If it was, the steering wheel would be too close to the bulkhead. The driver would be sat astride the central spine of the tub - no support for the seat, awkward ingress / egress.

Electric motor with twin exhausts? 😄

Indeed. They were probably just trying to show where the front is and that it will be mid-engined. 

It would have been nice, though. 🙂

41 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

Electric motor with twin exhausts? 😄

Maybe it is the laser equipped James Bond edition 

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Considering they’re not intending to launch the EV sports car until 2026, they seem to be a very long way down the design road already. Impressive.

edit: also looks like a hi-tech 3D printed rear hub carrier assembly, which helps weight saving.

Not sure if they'd be 3D printed, but their topology has been created using generative design methods, a great approach for lightweighting, very state of the art..

image.png.156892cc452846d090da46f012df82e8.png

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Though you'd never believe it if you read the marketing bumf that comes with a lot of such softwares :) These types of geometries would be identified using topology optimisation, no AI in sight, just an adjoint solution to indicate sensitivities of the primal solution and an optimiser. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted to analyze the new LEVA platform to see if it's actually as big a deal in EV weight savings as Lotus makes it.  Lotus was supposedly targeting around 3200 lbs for the Type 135 (likely the 66.4 kWh config) per Matt Windle (link in an above Forbes article), while Porsche is targeting 3600 lbs for their EV 718 in 2024/2025 (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37692178/2025-porsche-718-electric-future-details/).  That's a pretty significant difference.  To preface, I'm an engineer but I don't know much about vehicle chassis so please correct me or add on if there's anything to dig into.  

First, the press release mentions that they got rid of bolt-on subframes.  Looking at a Tesla Model S for a basepoint comparison, which is very similar to the Model 3 that is pretty lightweight by EV standards, it uses a pretty traditional aluminum subframe that holds the motor and the body structure houses the crumple zone (not shown).  This is also the same with the Lotus Premium Architecture for SUVs/sedans posted above.  In comparison, Lotus LEVA seems to combine the subframe functions into the body structure and remove the subframe entirely, holding the suspension components, surrounding the motor, and attaching to the crumple zone all in one.  It seems to be simpler, less redundant, and have many fewer parts than the Tesla.   

12090026.jpg?auto=format&fit=fill&q=65&w=1280

Project-LEVA-innovation-in-Lotus-electric-sports-car-architecture_1.jpg

Using a single motor for the 66.4 kWh version probably saves a massive amount of weight.  The Porsche Taycan Turbo and up use a 449 hp rear motor, which weighs 170 kg.  The base Taycan uses a 402 hp motor and feels a bit underwhelming per reviews, but I think 450 hp with a much smaller and lighter LEVA vehicle would be sufficient.  The Cayman EV is rumored to be rear motor to start and dual motor AWD in upper trims.  If Porsche takes the same approach as the Taycan where they basically gimp the base solo motor and necessitate dual motor for performance, then the weight in competitive power may be hampered.  

If anyone can find anything else, definitely bring it forward.  I'm not nearly qualified enough to talk about this.

Edited by KusaKusa
  • Like 2

Yes the LEVA Seems to do without a bolt on rear subframe, which is great for weight saving not so great for repairability from my understanding. VVA on which LEVA  innovates is/was tough. So tough that during crash test, they could replace just the front subframe or rear subframe and send the central chassis core back to crashtesting. Now LEVA will keep a front subframe  because most crashes are front and front 3/4 incident first so having a removable repairable subframe seems like sound business. However with the rear subframe now integrated to the core chassis it means any rear crash will be pretty much terminal. Notice that the subframe does still exist but as it is set to be bonded and riveted to the core and no longer bolted I wish any mechanic in charge or a LEVA sportscar rebuild the very best of luck. However these LEVA cars will also come with a Volvo vetted arsenal of ADASS tech which sole aim will be to prevent the drivers of these cars to get into trouble. So safe driving to everyone who buys and try to have some fun while you are at it.

• Like 1