Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 133 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Just shows how the modern automotive manufacturing work is becoming (or is) a global collaboration.

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

That can't be the reason that so many cars look the same... of at least 1 of a small number of styles, that most of the new cars seem to have.

Lack of imagination and the explosion of risk averse accountants conservatively running the shop - no shocks, no risks, no surprises. Just steady as she goes = pretty bland cars and design.

Edited by Bravo73

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Hope that this does not apply to the type 132 and those that follow......I suppose that people will try to pick bits of the new car to say that the tailgate looks like xxxx, the front bumper looks like a cccccc and the side profile looks  like a vvvvv. etc.

Can’t help thinking the new 4 door coupe Lotus Type 133 when it appears, will be styled very similarly to the new Polestar 5…..which I personally think looks very sharp. Tesla (not before time) are about to see some serious competition - their styling is woreful, so should be challenged easily enough!

I've seen people talk about the potential MR2 slotting between the 86 and Supra in price point. I can't see how a Lotus all aluminium platform could hit a price under the Supra. Maybe Toyota would make this a Corvette competitor. Hard to make any guesses on the power train as of now.

Oh love the look of that MR2, looks like a baby Lambo!  I presume its just some computer generated image by an artist that has had little inside knowledge of the actual design of the MR2?  Wonder how close to the real design that is?  Either way I'd be very glad to see the return of the MR2, I've liked all 3 versions of it a look forward to a 4th version of it.

@KusaKusa, a Supra costs ~£51K, an Elise used to cost ~£45K and a GT86 costs ~£25K.  I guess Toyota are aiming for around £40K for the MR2?

Hmmm its a bit of a tight budget to use a bonded alu chassis? But not totally impossible ...  maybe Toyota can save cost elsewhere and use economies of scale and other methods to produce something similar to an Elise for less than Lotus can?

I guess the car will be a more traditional platform and have some input from Lotus on the chassis setup and engineering.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Oh love the look of that MR2, looks like a baby Lambo!

I thought it looked very close to the designs of the Danny Hahahahaha era supposed new cars.

• Like 1

The small print.

Ditto, a good read. Not hugely revealing to those of us that follow Lotus closely but reassuring in many ways - right management, realistic targets and plans, good partners and a parent company that has a good track record of not throwing the baby out with the bath water! 

• Like 1

The TST podcast also briefly mentioned Type 135 at 48 minutes. It seemed like the Emira would be the entry level sports car and they'd be looking to fill out their product portfolio upwards in price, so Type 135 would be more expensive. That'd be unfortunate, and I don't know how Lotus can make a case for the single motor 470 HP EV to be over the top end of Emira pricing like into $100k USD, even if it's a sports car. The Emira wouldn't be sellable in several countries shortly after Type 135 comes out in 2026 anyway, so they'd lose that segment. 

Here's the stuff about Type 135 from The Drive interview for future reference. Definitely a good article:

I've actually seen some of the initial work they're doing on the next sports car [Type 135] and it's blown me away already. It will be everything we want it to be: beautiful, lightweight. It will be the Lotus you expect and it will have an amazing performance as well. We are driven by those [principles], lightweighting, dynamics, aerodynamics, they're our core that have been in our business from Chapman.

The challenge that I've set them for Type 135 is that it needs to weigh the same as Emira as an electric-propulsion car. So they've had to think differently, and the weight saving is significant between what they've done on Project LEVA and where we currently are.

Edited by KusaKusa

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Sunday Times reports:

Separately, Lotus Cars revealed it slumped to a £58 million loss in the year to December 2020 after the pandemic savaged demand for its sports cars in what it described as a “very challenging year”. It sold 1,189 vehicles last year, a fall of about a fifth.

However, Lotus increased its headcount by 250 in 2020 and opened two new factories in Norfolk as it looks to ramp up output. This year it secured £120 million in loans from investors, including Chinese car giant Geely, which owns 51 per cent of the business.

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

5 minutes ago, jonwat said:

Lotus Cars revealed it slumped to a £58 million loss

Quite a loss plus the extra costs, it will take years to turn a profit and recover those losses, even with lots of Emiras driving off the production line next year...

• Like 1