Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 17 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Yes ,  not stupid at all Michael,  I had been under that same thought for a while until stumbling on a youtube a while ago of a truimph spitfire been converted to an electric motor by a stundent class,  They used the truimphs manual transmission .:)

Electric powerplant is the same as engine, its just a rotateing mass :)

A

If the deal goes on for Detroit Electric it would involve Lotus engineering providing services like design (which is probably all done  now) and Lotus Lightweight structure providing the small platform chassis. As far as I know the cars are built (or assembled) in Leamington Spa. Hopefully there's enough roller chassis to be made so that Lotus lightweight structure can generate some extra cash to gear up for the next Elise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Yes ,  not stupid at all Michael,  I had been under that same thought for a while until stumbling on a youtube a while ago of a truimph spitfire been converted to an electric motor by a stundent class,  They used the truimphs manual transmission .:)

Electric powerplant is the same as engine, its just a rotateing mass :)

That was my co-worker's car...  If you mean this green one from 2009...

• Like 2

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yes that is the one Travis,  Great little conversion they did also  Cheers for posting,  Loved seeing that thing drive down the highway again.

Do you know if it is still been used today ?

A

@Vulcan Grey - thanks for posting that - most interesting. Same question as Dan, is it still around and being used?

@silverfrost @ChrisJ  He drove it to work quit a bit, and charged it at work.  He really only got less than 10 miles of range at a time though.  It used normal automotive lead acid batteries, so took forever to charge.  I don't know if he still drives it.  He had another red Spitfire, and got the green one free from another co-worker, who I still work with.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Awesome news Travis, glad its sill in use,  Yes 10 mile range not brilliant,  but still 10 miles free motoring for free bar electric non the less,  plus the saving he would of made on not buying the modern electric car batteries would of been a massive one,  lead acid, heavy and not much range, but cheap and plentifull :thumbup:

A

• 2 weeks later...

Another text book turnaround from Geely. I really do hope they end up with Lotus and show a similar commitment as they've done with LTC and Volvo. Just think what Lotus could do with £300m....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-39343519

Well considering Peugeot SA as a factory in Thailand thanks to its recent acquisition of Opel, Proton is undoubtably in a very week position.

If DRB wanted to retain a majority share they may have to agree to be a minority shareholder from now on. The deal may also altogether collapse and DRB Hicom may have to divest itself of Lotus... well heeled people ready your checkbook or have letter of credit and usefull info available.   

• Gold FFM

Well informed update as always Nico. I asked about progress around the acquisition/takeover when I visited the factory on Thursday. They were reluctant to talk about it for obvious reasons and were fairly stoical about the outcome having been in a similar position numerous times over the years. However, Geely did get a positive reaction because of their enlightened approach and what they have achieved with Volvo.

• Like 1

I think they really are in the hot phase of negotiation and Geelys "withdrawal" was all part of building pressure. Common tactic, "We're walking out." "No, what do we have to give you to stay?" ...

Only one probably out is Peugeot, they now have enough on their hands with Opel/Vauxhaul

Only time will tell.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not directly Lotus but Lotus all the same. Spyker is still working on SUV with input from Lotus.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/spyker-suv-way-hybrid-powertrain

So the 10 year old project  D12  turn D8 4 years later could still see the light of day, it was to be based on the APX VVA platform before Spyker higher Ups went crazy and decided to buy Saab with help from Chinese wannabe carmakers Youngman that was some 4 years ago. Since then Spyker has gone into bankruptcy, avoided receivership and presented 2 cars the Venator B6 (based on a Lotus Evora) and the Preliator (still based on a Lotus chassis) with a Koenigsegg V8 power. As far as I know, no cars have made it down the production line yet. But it appears that Victor Muller is bullish on getting a full range of cars out and about. with the C8 Preliator ( coupe and cabriolet) a V6 car ( the Venator ?) and the SUV.  Spyker Cars are going to be manufactured by CPP in Coventry with and I have reason to believe that the aluminium chassis is sourced from Lotus Lightweight Structure. 

So we've been here before, in 2008 more precisely, and now nearly 10 years after history is about to repeat itself. V. Muller has always been vocal about doing stuff but the track record for Spyker has been and is still subject to caution. However if Spyker is working with Lotus, it means Lotus Engineering gets billable hours which is good news, and considering Lotus is also working on their SUV, one can imagine a development frame shared between the supplier and the client.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And now this American autocentric news site outlet points out the obvious:  http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/10016/opinion-toyota-should-buy-lotus

The funny thing is that Lotus is actually on the market which the author of this piece doesn't seem to know or realize :huh:

Edited by NedaSay

A couple of interesting links

One on the future?

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-16/malaysia-eyes-sale-of-proton-as-mahathir-s-auto-power-dream-dies

Interesting speculation that Geely look more interested in Lotus than Proton.

....and one on the past

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/concept/tgs-guide-concepts-reborn-lotus-esprit-v8

Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering that we should be expecting some sort of news/announcement soon. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

The shape of any investment is still up in the air. Under one scenario being discussed, Geely -- which also owns Sweden’s Volvo brand -- would take a large minority stake in Proton itself while purchasing a majority of the Lotus subsidiary, the person with knowledge of the situation said. By contrast, PSA Group would prefer to acquire majority control of Proton as a whole, another person familiar with the process said. Both companies declined to comment.

• Gold FFM

Or a journo not doing homework?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

12 hours ago, webfoot said:

Calling Dany's celebrity friends "A-listers" was also a bit generous. :D

The Esprit concept has aged pretty gracefully. Nice to see an elegant shape not festooned with aero and strakes du jour B-)

Can't complain, Geely have done reasonably well with Volvo and even infused some excitement (re: Polestar models). Lots of support for Proton but no mention of plans for the orphan wizard living under the stairs, Lotus.

• Like 1

I'm hoping for the best. 

It appears an announcement is now imminent as DRB-Hicom has asked for Proton's stock trade suspension.

The only real thing I want is for the FSP to get Lotus out of Proton's hands out right. 

• Like 1