Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 41 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

On 15/09/2018 at 10:34, Bibs said:

@Gm77 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be because of all the 400s in the area.

6 hours ago, harrry said:

The market demands it, therefore if you want to sell cars, you've got to have a big screen.

The bigger the better, within reason.

Floating is good as it brings it closer to the driver and can reduce glare.  

My feeling is people put up with it because they think it's the only way it can be done and so don't complain. Why do I say this? Because many Merc, BMW & Audi owning friends have commented that the Alfa Giulia's dash is so much nicer not having a random tablet fixed to the dash.

• Like 1

Just looked it up and agree. This is much nicer. Looks cohesive and neat and ideal for a repmobile/exec barge.

Image result for Alfa Giulia

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Does the market demand it of does the market department tell you you need it?  Plenty on here do not seem to be a fan. Fine on a rep mobile like an A4/A5 or C class or 3/4 series but not on a sports car. 

I don't see how having the latest tech and having a great drivers car are mutually exclusive. It will only add to the appeal for most potential buyers.

Lotus shouldnt be trying to hark back to some kind of simpler era of the past. Now they have the resources I want them to throw the kitchen sink at it and produce the most futuristic design possible. Inside and out. Not like the new TVR which looks like the future as imagined in the year 2000. But the future now.

12 hours ago, Spinney said:

Yes I agree that for parameters you would set before driving off, that is just fine but I assume you haven’t driven a Tesla? They have a lot of incidental controls on different pages all on the same screen, many of which you might want to use whilst on the move. I don’t see any problem with parking cameras as you aren’t having to take your hands off the wheel and the cameras themselves are, effectively, your eyes whilst manoeuvring at low speed. Even screens where you change between satnav or entertainment by touching a certain area are, in my view, a bad idea as it diverts your attention from the road ahead. I wonder how many drivers have been involved, or nearly involved, in even a low speed collision because they were distracted by the touch screen. 

Further, despite us all being aware you should not attempt to reprogramme a satnav whilst on the move, I wouldn’t mind betting that very many folk do. It is a temptation just having it there, that some people can’t resist - just like a mobile phone. Maybe if the touch facility could be disabled once a car is on the move, then that would be fine. Mind you, I don’t think Tesla owners would be very happy if they couldn’t adjust their HVAC whilst moving. 😉

I haven't driven one -  but I have been in a number - the most alarming thing I found about them id the drivers tendency to demonstrate the technology by taking their hands of the steering wheel and looking at you, rather than the road, when they tell you all about it 🤪

However, it seems to me just as likely that someone will lose concentration by fiddling with a traditional heating/ventilation control, or radio, or separate Sat Nav as a large screen - indeed a large screen may have larger 'buttons' which are easier to locate.

Additionally, no-one is saying that this screen will have all the controls you mention on it. - Its possible to have a large screen for Sat-Nav/ Camera's and traditional controls for heating etc. 

But to me Lotus' are 'modern' cars - and I don't see any reason why the Driver/Car interface can't have the use of a  screen.

6 minutes ago, harrry said:

I don't see how having the latest tech and having a great drivers car are mutually exclusive. It will only add to the appeal for most potential buyers.

Lotus shouldnt be trying to hark back to some kind of simpler era of the past. Now they have the resources I want them to throw the kitchen sink at it and produce the most futuristic design possible. Inside and out. Not like the new TVR which looks like the future as imagined in the year 2000. But the future now.

I have to agree - its surely possible to keep the chassis dynamics - but use a modern interface. - Renault do it with the Alpine 

• Like 1

If you really want Lotus to be modern then do away with the big screens altogether and go for voice activation.

Had it in my Jag 10 years ago:

Saying instructions is less distracting, safer, etc.

I used to press a button on the steering wheel and then say stuff like:

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Far better to have this than a big fook off screen in the dash.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

Go one step further and combine with heads up display and bingo. Job done.

Big screens in the dash. Big screens siliconed on the dash. Meh. So yesterday.

There is no need other than vanity or following a trend for Lotus to have a big fook off screen anywhere near the dash.

Saying that just because everyone else has one you need one is just playing at being a sheep. Lotus has a history and track record of ripping up the rule book let's hope it continues whilst still adding lightness and simplicity, it's real heritage.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You could integrate speach to Apple or Android carplay and extend to Apps like Torque etc. Saying the postcode on Navigation is easier than typing it in and much safer when on the move.

Combine it with the latest instrument binnacle screens and you could have your speedo dials etc, sat nav and then press a button to get other screens.

I would love this. In fact I just wish that I could get someone to wire up one of the cruise control buttons as 'Voice activation' (which would trigger Siri when using CarPlay) and the increase/decrease speed buttons as volume up/down. Anyone fancy a project?

And yes, I know that the 'real' volume control button is the one that winds the window up and down.

On 16/09/2018 at 18:11, Barrykearley said:

Can you watch tv on it? Do you need a tv license for it ??

I can watch TV on my ICE in my car - standard equipment. The only requirement is that the driver must not be able to see it whilst on the move. It has a very clever screen that displays different things depending on the angle you are viewing. So the passenger can see the TV while the driver is seeing the satnav. When stationary the screen allows the driver to view the TV. Once above 5mph it switches to the dual mode.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• Gold FFM

So who said that a 2000 Sport 350 was behind the times? Huh? Huh? ;)

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

If you really want Lotus to be modern then do away with the big screens altogether and go for voice activation.

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

There is no need other than vanity or following a trend for Lotus to have a big fook off screen anywhere near the dash.

Saying that just because everyone else has one you need one is just playing at being a sheep. Lotus has a history and track record of ripping up the rule book let's hope it continues whilst still adding lightness and simplicity, it's real heritage.

So you're basically describing the lambo/audi tt setup. If Lotus can match that then I'm all for it. It's a nice big 12.3 inch screen after all😉

Voice activation, steering wheel controls, heads up display, gesture control, big screens etc ... if they have access to the tech, then why not?

All of these things can complement each other. More choice is better. 

8 minutes ago, harrry said:

So you're basically describing the lambo/audi tt setup. If Lotus can match that then I'm all for it. It's a nice big 12.3 inch screen after all😉

Voice activation, steering wheel controls, heads up display, gesture control, big screens etc ... if they have access to the tech, then why not?

All of these things can complement each other. More choice is better. 

Nope. I'm describing the Jaguar XJ setup from 10 years plus ago that the Geermans obviously ripped off and 10 years later put in their skips!

To be honest, I think the whole "screens" thing is overhyped. Voice activation has to be better than pissing about with a touch activated screen. Safer too.

It just seems that everyone these days is fascinated and addicted to electronic screens. Had it in the airport earlier. Bloke walking along, head down, totally oblivious with his thumbs twirling around his keyboard not looking where he was going. At the last minute i stepped out of the way but damn, just did not move my wheelie bag quick enough so down he went. He gave me a WTF look and I just politely said "well, if were fooking looking where you were going rather than at that little screen you'd have seen me and the bag you muppet".  Surprisingly that seemed to end the conversation there and then.  Oh well, seemed like a nice chap too.

Woman drinking her fizzy wine at the posh "salmon and champagne" stall in the airport was literally wetting herself laughing.

Anyway back on topic. Screens are a distraction and if you can voice to activate you only need them to confirm the response (i.e. you can see air con has changed, the radio channel has changed etc).  Much safer and means that the designers can really play with the whole dash layout.  You might even get some heated cupholders, as no doubt that is what will be asked for next.  I always thought a sports car was about the drive. How wrong I am as even that great sports car maker Porsche seems to thing that a big ugly box weighing 5 tons, with a 747 diesel engine and 4 turbo's strapped on it is a,  errrm, well, it would seem, a Sports Car! Range Rover are no better with their "Sport" versions of the RR and Defender. How many times have the pricks who drive these things cut you up and tried to race you?

Anyway. i am obviously in the minority on this which is fine as if Lotus do go all upmarket to Ferrari and Aston prices my next car will be an Ultima Evolution Coupe and not something made in Hethel unfortunately.  i wonder what size tablet screen that has?.............

• Like 1

The small print.

17 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Anyway. i am obviously in the minority on this which is fine as if Lotus do go all upmarket to Ferrari and Aston prices my next car will be an Ultima Evolution Coupe and not something made in Hethel unfortunately.  i wonder what size tablet screen that has?.............

8" double din IIRC 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

"Aircon on 17"

"Radio on"

"Next track"

"CD disc 3 track 4"

Etc.

I think we'll get there eventually, voice activation will be the rule in a few years probably working alongside a head up display. It is surprising to me that automakers haven't used heads up display much actually. I was looking at a video with the Senna recently and was thinking why did they had the weight instead of having a configurable HUD that could be even less invisible then their track mode display.

37 minutes ago, Vulcan Grey said:

The Lotus patent images remind me of the new Acura RDX dash

img1258593738-1527259556043.jpg

There are similarities indeed, lets just hope the dash of the Lotus SUV will not suffer from the same buttons rash. I think the massive display will be there to help with that. 

I hope there's not too much reliance on the screen. Buttons are much easier to locate and operate while on the move than having to scroll through a touch screen menu.

As for the sketches and layout, they're not pushing any new boundaries here but the market place for such vehicles is reasonably conservative, so that's probably for the best. By comparison, here's the dash of the current shape Range Rover Sport:

747857347_RRS2018interior.jpg.03fc6aa4eee833d49805434b6f0f9c76.jpg

3 hours ago, Advantage said:

I hope there's not too much reliance on the screen. Buttons are much easier to locate and operate while on the move than having to scroll through a touch screen menu.

As for the sketches and layout, they're not pushing any new boundaries here but the market place for such vehicles is reasonably conservative, so that's probably for the best. By comparison, here's the dash of the current shape Range Rover Sport:

747857347_RRS2018interior.jpg.03fc6aa4eee833d49805434b6f0f9c76.jpg

I think it will be as reliant on screen as the new Volvo cars are, no more and probably no less.

• Like 2

So, we all know that Lotus are intending to (belatedly) produce an SUV.

However, with both a new Alfa Coupe https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-giulia-coupe-pack-641bhp-f1-hybrid-tech a new Peugeot  Coupe https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/peugeot-e-legend-concept-unveiled and Toyota waiting to produce a new Celica/MR2 https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a23320497/new-toyota-celica-mr2-proposed/ I can't help but wonder if there's signs that the 'SUV Craze' may be flattening out - if not declining|?

If so - should Lotus not be considering an Evora/Elite replacement - i.e, a 'proper' 2+2 for those who want something a  bit more 'everyday' then their current offerings - but still close to the driving experience?

I love to see Toyota bring back the MR2.  What a great car, light, nippy and just enough (real world useable) grunt to make it fun. Maybe it could’ve done with a bit more? We need more light cars current crop are getting too flabby. I don’t care if you wack a big engine to keep the power to weight ratio similar. When it comes to handling there is no substitute for lightweight.  So Toyota, what ever you create, don’t make it too heavy please! 

Regarding the SUV market.  Yes it’s getting increasingly crowded but you could say that about the hot hatch market and saloon market, there’s loads of models to choose from. I think SUV are becoming (if not already) the defacto vehicle type to buy so I think there is space for new models.   

Also with leasing being very popular these days as opposed to buying the car outright via your own money or loans. People will be swapping cars every 3-5years so will want to go for the emperors new clothes, which hopefully will be a shiney new Lotus SUV! 

Hopefully this new interest in sports cars will make the case for Lotus to still carry on making great sports cars and not change the mould too much. 

1 hour ago, KAS-118 said:

If so - should Lotus not be considering an Evora/Elite replacement - i.e, a 'proper' 2+2 for those who want something a  bit more 'everyday' then their current offerings - but still close to the driving experience?

If it is a proper 2+2 then what you are asking for is akin to an Elite/Eclat or Ferrari Mondial.  Nothing at all to do with an Evora/Exige in my opinion but a separate class of car. 

The small print.

I had an MR2 Roadster (well actually I had two), such a fun car to drive - felt light and nimble, great handling and balance too. It was def underpowered but that also meant you had the enjoyment of being able to drive it on it's limits.

• Like 1