Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 24 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

The genuine Sport300 code would demand a slightly upgraded (bigger) turbo, a fpr and a pump to go.

Congrats on having the car up and running!

Now clear out the chicken shed and use it as a safe haven for Esprits that's been raped during Winter by d.p.o.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hi Barry, 

how much do Pirtek charge you? 

merlin Motorsport do a stainless kit for £85 for four braided lines, which seems reasonable (or 75 for non stainless) so Im considering those, but if Pirtek are a significant saving I could pop down to exeter. What do you do, take the originals in for matching?

thx, Dave

1 hour ago, DaveyT said:

merlin Motorsport do a stainless kit for £85 for four braided lines

There are 6 flexi hoses on my Esprit, assume it's the same on the S3?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Thx Barry,

Neil, Been so long since They came off I cant be sure, but I only have 4 in the boxes I got back from Dad! Will check manual. Thx for the heads up..

for info...https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/goodridge-hose-kit-for-lotus-esprit-turbo-s3-stainless-fittings-sls0702-4c

Dave

• Gold FFM
On 3/17/2018 at 20:11, v8vantage said:

Barry change over those rubber brake hose to braided ones. The rubber brakes down internally over time and blocks them, can be intermittent but eventually blocks completely. Had it happen on the rear brakes on the Aston especially when the hoses are over 10 years old.

Little known fact. Rubber components have a 5 year shelf life. One of the main reasons we change out thousands of hydraulic hoses on a 5 year cycle on offshore cranes and they undergo an annual inspection. 

• Like 1

Rubber doesn't last as long since RoHS standards were adapted in the early 2000s.

RoHS stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances. Compliant rubber bits would actually MELT after 3 - 4 years after that.

My most vivid memory was the story of a Morgan owner who left his car in his garage in disgust, after he had brake trouble and couldn't get the hydraulics apart. 30 years later :lol: he got back to it (found a wrench he though he lost, too!) B-) and made his car operable again. A couple years after that, he replaced all the worn tyres from the 1960s...and he was PEEVED when they only lasted 6 years!  

HaaHaa, welcome to the 21st century.

• Thanks 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

4 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Thx Barry,

Neil, Been so long since They came off I cant be sure, but I only have 4 in the boxes I got back from Dad! Will check manual. Thx for the heads up..

for info...https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/goodridge-hose-kit-for-lotus-esprit-turbo-s3-stainless-fittings-sls0702-4c

Dave

On mine 1 at each corner then 1 on the pivot of each swinging arm of the rear suspension. You can just about see them down the side of the engine.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

Ahh @Chillidoggy  - I’m awaiting a nameless man in a unnamed location to resolve a special unmentionable conversion. I think he’s taking his time and drinking too much gin.

Other than that my list for this week is to order suspension parts, a throttle cable and driveshaft roll pins from SJ. I also need to order some stainless piping so I can get a new exhaust fabricated.

I will do the front suspension bits first - and then onto the rears after that. New everything - just like the S4. Not shocks and springs - I will freshen those up if they are suitable.

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

And powder coating.  Don't forget the powder coating.  Although I believe yellow might be a fashion train wreck, dahling.

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

And powder coating.  Don't forget the powder coating.  Although I believe yellow might be a fashion train wreck, dahling.

Ahhh - there’s always red and blue 👍

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Hi Barry

Thanks for letting me come round for a chat today and letting me into see the place where all the magic happens.

You offered to help me identify a lead i seem to have spare, please see photos attached (This isn't just for Barry if anyone else can identify ). The three wires are coloured, solid green, green white stripe and yellow black stripe, and is 35 inches long.

Cheers Paul  

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

• Gold FFM

Hell thats thrown me completely - I’ve not seen that on the S4 or S4s. 

Any issues in the process of commissioning - give me a ring 👍

Just now, 910Esprit said:

Hmmm - should I get my own back already...

Yep - comeon - throw up the pictures 🤪

Only here once

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Back on topic, what’s the next step in the restoration process, Barry?

Alun the tank man is all ready to make me an exhaust - I’m picking up the parts on Wednesday for him. I need to gaffer tape and mark it up and he will make it for me 👍. Can’t wait - that’ll get the bitch breathing freely

Only here once

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Back on topic, what’s the next step in the restoration process, Barry?

Crank seal

24 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Can’t wait - that’ll get the bitch breathing freely

Half a bottle of tequila and an oxygen mask usually works for me on my "employees"

• Haha 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

4 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Crank seal

Half a bottle of tequila and an oxygen mask usually works for me on my "employees"

Depends what you want to do to them😗

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

1 hour ago, PAUL GURNEY said:

You offered to help me identify a lead i seem to have spare, please see photos attached (This isn't just for Barry if anyone else can identify ). The three wires are coloured, solid green, green white stripe and yellow black stripe, and is 35 inches long

Hello Paul

I've had a quick look through the GT3 wiring diagrams and I can't find anything with those colour codes. It might be left over from an alarm system or a hands free mobile kit or stereo system mebbe?

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

Cheers Alan

Thanks, i could not find anything when i looked either, hopefully it was an odd lead i picked by mistake when i took the engine out at my mates workshop. Its a bit of a jumble sale in there at times.

PAUL